Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:02 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,473,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimama3 View Post
Do you think living in quiet suburbs might be better than city living? for kiddos- 7,9,11? They love their basketball net in front yard at our current house!
Kids don't care about urban vs. suburban. There are going to be many basketball nets within walking distance of your home in any Chicago neighborhood aside from the Near North Side and Loop areas.

Quote:
...I asked the admin [at Hinsdale Central] where kiddos matriculated to, any ivy league in the last few years and she immediately said no. Kids went to state colleges and a few others but ivy league was not on their radar...

...My older son would only attend a school like Avery Coonley for 1-2 years before high school so we are thinking to live in an area where the high school is close, too. Are there any college prep schools in the western suburbs that you guys have positive feelings about?...
A lot of the Avery Coonley children matriculate to elite boarding schools. I am not from the western suburbs, but in my experience, Fenwick High School, a Dominican college preparatory school in Oak Park, is one of the most popular and well-respected. Due to its affiliation with the Roman Catholic Church, it is also significantly less expensive than other private schools in the area. As of right now, tuition is about $16,000, which is less than my primary school tuition 10-15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 10:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,197,799 times
Quote:
Do you think living in quiet suburbs might be better than city living? for kiddos- 7,9,11? They love their basketball net in front yard at our current house!
City vs Suburbs is frankly more of an adult/parent choice- really, preference. None of my friends living in LP have been shot or assaulted, nor have my friends living in various Chicago suburbs (mostly north shore & Nw, few western) feel they are missing out by not attending one of the elite city private schools/downtown neighborhoods. YMMV

Old 12-02-2018, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,173 times
Thanks, everyone! You've been really helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois