Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thanks....I would not want to go on I-74.....it is an interstate. Looking for an interesting, scenic route (if this is possible). Speed is not the issue....I want to enjoy the journey, not rush to the destination. I want to avoid interstates the entire trip to Minneapolis.
I-74 goes through farmland in IL, also through Champaign. It's not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:05 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Head south to Texas and then head west through New Mexico and then head north all the way to North Dakota, then head east and you run smack, dab into Minneapolis. You will certainly avoid Chicago and lot of backroads you can take so you won't be on an interstate.
Hey Jasper, I once went on a road trip from south of Miami to Red Lodge, Montana. We drove the southern route, through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. We drove on just a few interstates. It was a wonderful trip!

I know that you are joking, or not, but I am an older gal who feels 'pushed' by all the 18 wheelers on interstates. I would rather see some towns, stop in little diners and see America than travel on truck packed fast moving interstates. (I know, interstates don't move.....).

Have you read 'Blue Highways' by William Least Heat Moon? Great book.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,908,711 times
Quote:
Hey Jasper, I once went on a road trip from south of Miami to Red Lodge, Montana. We drove the southern route, through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. We drove on just a few interstates. It was a wonderful trip!

I know that you are joking, or not, but I am an older gal who feels 'pushed' by all the 18 wheelers on interstates. I would rather see some towns, stop in little diners and see America than travel on truck packed fast moving interstates. (I know, interstates don't move.....).

Have you read 'Blue Highways' by William Least Heat Moon? Great book.
I am just messing with you. Seriously a good route is what someone suggested. Make your way to US 20 which goes to Galena, Illinois and then go through southwest Wisconsin or you can take highway 52 from Dubuque, Iowa which will take you right into Minneapolis. A lot of nice scenery and a pleasant drive.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:12 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,072,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I am just messing with you. Seriously a good route is what someone suggested. Make your way to US 20 which goes to Galena, Illinois and then go through southwest Wisconsin or you can take highway 52 from Dubuque, Iowa which will take you right into Minneapolis. A lot of nice scenery and a pleasant drive.
Funny you would say that, I took 20 from the I-90 Marengo/Hampshire exit to Freeport last week. The trip between I90 at Hampshire and west of Rockford was sooo slow due to traffic, many stop lights, and I got to see beautiful downtown Rockford (reminded me of the south side of Chicago). 20 is a nice road once you get past the Chrysler plant, but east of there? Not again for me, you're driving through too many towns.

A lot of "Interstates" are more like two-lane roads when you get out in the country, I-74 and I-39 are two examples. Traveling on them is probably much safer than driving on slower roads due to the lack of cross-traffic. I don't blame the OP for wanting to not drive on 294 and I-90 south of Rockford, especially in bad weather, the heavy traffic can create a lot of white knuckles. There is currently construction on I-355, and they didn't do a good job managing the barrels and plowing, some lanes abruptly "end" where there would normally be an exit - saw more than one accident due to that last week. You are correct about driving up through the west side of Illinois and Wisconsin, some very pretty areas through there from glacial activity - I personally love the view of the Mississippi up around Lacrosse. South central WI around Monroe, New Glarus, etc. is also a pretty area, I would recommend a tour of the New Glarus brewery with a tasting of Moon Man afterward. The Minhaus? brewery in Monroe is also worth a tour and tasting or two.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:25 AM

I agree about I-74 and I have a lot of experience with it. People like to wax rhapsodic about these "alternative routes" but often it's "slow and go" on them.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Here is the route of Tour of the Mississippi River Valley bike ride from Quad Cities to Dubuque. It is designed for bikes but it is all on roads and goes right through Galena, IL. You could follow it in your car. From there I guess you could just follow the Mississippi river northwest.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1208743

Old 12-07-2018, 04:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree about I-74 and I have a lot of experience with it. People like to wax rhapsodic about these "alternative routes" but often it's "slow and go" on them.
Is there a lot of truck traffic on that section of I-74?

Old 12-07-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Is there a lot of truck traffic on that section of I-74?
Not that I recall but it's been a long time since I lived there (Champaign). I remember driving back from my parents' home in Pittsburgh I was always glad to get to Indianapolis and get off I-70 and onto 74. I-70 is the main arterial.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:08 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
US-52 the entire way.

You go through Joliet, but don't hit much of Chicagoland otherwise.
What the Count said. 52 is a very scenic drive.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 AM

629 posts, read 544,741 times
Quote:
Thanks....I would not want to go on I-74.....it is an interstate. Looking for an interesting, scenic route (if this is possible). Speed is not the issue....I want to enjoy the journey, not rush to the destination. I want to avoid interstates the entire trip to Minneapolis.
nothing scenic between those two cities to be honest, unless you think soybean and corn fields and flat land are scenic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois