Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:13 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^^ BUT, what's important is that it's NOT in Illinois. Get my point? (tax increases, possible bankruptcy of the State, the most corrupt State in the nation??)
If you think those issues are important (and there are a myriad of issues to consider), being on the IA side of the metro is not going to be a panacea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 05:31 PM

245 posts, read 304,146 times
Thanks for your honesty.

My good friend, married to a dentist, moved for a job to a downstate Illinois university, as he is getting into teaching. She is having a hard time adjusting, too, having moved from the north shore of Chicago.

There are some magnificent mansions in the McClellan Hts area of Davenport and we were almost tempted to move there about 10 years ago but my brother, so often my savior, told us how much pensions are taxed for out of state people in Iowa - it was a big amount.

No thanks!

Hope things improve for you...no synagogues in the area at all?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 AM

197 posts, read 235,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain4589 View Post
The areas is very depressed economically. The many beautiful Victorian houses in RI are foreclosed or in sad shape. There are no unique places to eat nor shop and ethnically not very diverse. If you're Jewish you'll have no ability to keep kosher as the kosher markets haven't been around this area since the 1970's. My husband was recruited to work as a physician in the local hospitaland we we miserable as a family. No thriving synagogues, just a chabad in Iowa and the main Jewish Ctr in Rock Island seemed to be barely surviving, given the number of people who attend Saturday am services. Black and whites seem to be segregated: Above and below the hill. " It doesn't matter if the cost of living is low in the quad cities, I'd rather be poor in Chicago, Michigan or Iowa City. We found people "nice" but not open to out of towners, very superficial and not interested in any real conversations. the famed Whitey's ice cream shop was just so- so. Unless you have to live here ie work for Deere, make your money and get out as fast as you can. This area is the land that time forgot.
It sounds like the quad cities is not the place for you, fortunately you live in a free country and can (very likely) afford to move to any of the areas of the country that meet your diversity needs. However, I doubt you'll be jumping at an opportunity to move to Joliet, Harvey, or North Chicago.

I have friends in the quad cities and I think the area is very nice overall. The good news is you'll be helping to improve the place by leaving!

Old 02-08-2019, 01:16 PM

449 posts, read 1,393,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The IA side is not really anything worth writing home about...
Compared to what? North Chicago probably not. Rest of Chicago heck yes. The Quad cities does not offer big city amenities but I can think of lots of worse places; many in Illinois.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
Compared to what? North Chicago probably not. Rest of Chicago heck yes. The Quad cities does not offer big city amenities but I can think of lots of worse places; many in Illinois.
Compared to specifically what was referenced in the original post: the IL side of the Quad Cities. They're both "meh." I mean, I can think of a lot worse places all over the U.S., but the Quad Cities (IA or IL side) is not exactly what I would call an up-and-coming metropolis. In IA, for example, there are several places that are much better off and have a much better/brighter future, in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:33 AM

1,854 posts, read 795,516 times
I think the place is awesome!

Old 05-23-2021, 02:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
I'd put it perhaps in a slightly more brutal manner with an easy answer. Just name me ONE, just ONE town/city in Illinois that is NOT depressed or with issues. Many if not most of the "rust belt" areas are have been going down the tubes for some time now which is no surprise. The Quad Cities is just another of many of those areas where the opportunity ship as sailed. I'm pretty sure the only reason folks live in such towns is they have NO choice and can't just up root themselves largely for financial reasons. It's sad but the way things have been going for some time now. And sadly it's only getting worse. The population of Illinois and many of it's towns and cities are slowly diminishing. There are several Youtube folks that done some very detailed and accurate documentaries on this movement. I grew up in Chicago and attended SIU Carbondale in the early 70's. To me Illinois is a far far cry from it's former way it once was, and that is in a very bad way. Glad I got out in 78 and never looked back.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:26 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'd put it perhaps in a slightly more brutal manner with an easy answer. Just name me ONE, just ONE town/city in Illinois that is NOT depressed or with issues. Many if not most of the "rust belt" areas are have been going down the tubes for some time now which is no surprise. The Quad Cities is just another of many of those areas where the opportunity ship as sailed. I'm pretty sure the only reason folks live in such towns is they have NO choice and can't just up root themselves largely for financial reasons. It's sad but the way things have been going for some time now. And sadly it's only getting worse. The population of Illinois and many of it's towns and cities are slowly diminishing. There are several Youtube folks that done some very detailed and accurate documentaries on this movement. I grew up in Chicago and attended SIU Carbondale in the early 70's. To me Illinois is a far far cry from it's former way it once was, and that is in a very bad way. Glad I got out in 78 and never looked back.
I'm glad you found a place with REAL people whatever that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois