Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
What do you guys think?, Let’s discuss:

Gov. Pritzker budget to boost education, use marijuana money, freeze income tax

In his first budget address, Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker plans to pitch an “austere” spending blueprint with no increase in the state income tax rate, a bump in education funding and new revenue from business licenses he hopes the state will create to sell recreational marijuana.

Pritzker told the Chicago Sun-Times he will also push for taxes on e-cigarettes and vaping, and for the legalization of sports betting to help bring in more money for state government.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannabi...etting-vaping/

Personally, I’m all for it. Seems like a win-win
Sounds fine depending on how it's used. Many of our State's school districts are sickeningly underfunded, so if the money goes more towards equalizing that, I'm more for it. I'd like to see more money being used to pay down pension debt and the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 02:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Sounds fine depending on how it's used. Many of our State's school districts are sickeningly underfunded, so if the money goes more towards equalizing that, I'm more for it. I'd like to see more money being used to pay down pension debt and the deficit.
Dream on!

Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
As marijuana is currently sold mostly in "black markets," what's to say this practice won't continue so people can evade the taxes? Relying on money from something currently sold on the "black market" the majority of the time is incredibly foolish and a huge gamble. It will be interesting to see if it pays off, but I highly doubt that it will, since from what I've heard, it hasn't worked so well for California or Colorado.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
As marijuana is currently sold mostly in "black markets," what's to say this practice won't continue so people can evade the taxes? Relying on money from something currently sold on the "black market" the majority of the time is incredibly foolish and a huge gamble. It will be interesting to see if it pays off, but I highly doubt that it will, since from what I've heard, it hasn't worked so well for California or Colorado.
Exactly. I hope they treat it like tobacco and don't overtax and overregulate it. No need to track it from seed to stem (or bud). A lot of growers in California and Colorado are growing on the black market cause the startup costs are sooooo high.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
of course it will be overtaxed, over regulated, and the black market will be bigger than ever..
Just ask any friend you might have with a medical card in Illinois what its like to get their "medicine"..

I guess that promised school funding from the Lottery proceeds are in the mail too, along with the "free" toll roads promised once the tollways were paid for..

hilarious that anyone, aside from a dreaming billionaire governor would think that any of those "promises" will be kept..

Old 02-17-2019, 05:35 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
All of the problems in Illinois will be solved when one of the experts from this forum runs for Governor in 4 years.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
Governor in Illinois is only the #2 position until Madigan melts into the sea...no governor can fix the fiscal nightmare he has created and continues to build, in conjunction with his new bag boy JB.... not even any of the C-D posters you are suggesting run for that so called "top office" in Illinois

Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Everyone says Illinois schools are underfunded. Has anyone ever thought that they're not underfunded but the powers to be overspent?

Pensions which are not realistic, salaries that don't match up with school performance, etc...

Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM

325 posts, read 207,602 times
Certainly hope Gov. Pritzker is increasing the mental healthcare budget in accordance with the production and sale of marijuana in state. It will be needed.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Everyone says Illinois schools are underfunded. Has anyone ever thought that they're not underfunded but the powers to be overspent?

Pensions which are not realistic, salaries that don't match up with school performance, etc...
Oh they're massively overspent. Look at CPS, which gets the most funding per student, and they are a total disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois