Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 37,076 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I currently work in Chicago and my husband is looking at a position in Peoria. We have two young kids—one kindergarten age and another preschool age.

1) Is it possible for us to live somewhere in between so that he can commute to Peoria? I work from home 4 days a week and am in the office in Chicago just one day a week. So would only have to make the trek one day.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM

4,842 posts, read 2,952,227 times
Do you enjoy small town living?, if so Peru or Ottawa may be an option.
If not, and assuming schools to be a factor; Shorewood west of Joliet might work.
This would of course, make for a LONG commute for the husband.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 37,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Do you enjoy small town living?, if so Peru or Ottawa may be an option.
If not, and assuming schools to be a factor; Shorewood west of Joliet might work.
This would of course, make for a LONG commute for the husband.
Thank you! Tell me a bit more about Peru and Ottawa?

We use to live near Albany, New York in a town that is consider small-town living. Are there ample schools and daycare there?

Is the commute bad—traffic-wise to Peoria or to Chicago?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:10 PM

4,842 posts, read 2,952,227 times
Have only been to the area while visiting starved rock state park, but I prefer it over Chicago or the suburbs; which is where I currently reside.
Perhaps someone living downstate will chime in.
Time for commutes into Chicago are completely dependent on what hour, hopefully non-rush hours.
You'd have to travel end to end off I-80, where I've hit heavy traffic; even at 10AM weekdays.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Status: "My worldview is based on the inerrant word of God." (set 25 days ago)

18,736 posts, read 6,816,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmelon View Post
Hi there!

I currently work in Chicago and my husband is looking at a position in Peoria. We have two young kids—one kindergarten age and another preschool age.

1) Is it possible for us to live somewhere in between so that he can commute to Peoria? I work from home 4 days a week and am in the office in Chicago just one day a week. So would only have to make the trek one day.

Thanks!
Missouri or Iowa. The money you'd save on taxes would probably pay for the commute.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,794,920 times
Probably Pontiac, Eureka, Washington. I would imagine you'd be driving up to Joliet or Manhattan, then riding Metra the last 50 miles. If you are planning to ride Amtrak from Pontiac, only a two hour ride to downtown and expected to get shorter, you better have very flexible hours. The first train does not get in until 10 AM.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,340,689 times
Yikes! It’s going to be rough for you both. Which one of you has to be in which location most frequently? I’d suggest living closer to that location and then making the (less frequent) commute to the other locale, e.g., living in Bloomington and taking Amtrak to Chicago every so often (if that’s the case).

Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,467,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmelon View Post
Hi there!

Thanks!
I would just live in Peoria if you only have to go to Chicago one day per week. Chicago is about 2-3 hours from Peoria.

Some of the locations that were recommended in LaSalle County are more than an hour from Peoria. I wouldn't bother with those—not to mention that they are practically ghost towns most of the year.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,030,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I would just live in Peoria if you only have to go to Chicago one day per week. Chicago is about 2-3 hours from Peoria.

Some of the locations that were recommended in LaSalle County are more than an hour from Peoria. I wouldn't bother with those—not to mention that they are practically ghost towns most of the year.
Agree with Hiruko, but would prefer the adjacent town of Washington. Or, you could live in Bloomington, which is supposedly an even nicer city, and would still be a manageable commute to Peoria. I've got a friend in East Peoria, and to be honest, I'd rather live there than outside Chicago. Equivalent homes are cheaper and on larger lots, but the real estate taxes are still onerous, especially if you live in a house with an elevated view of the river. Peoria is a regional location for hospital services, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a sawbones.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,006,290 times
Ottawa is probably the best option if you want ot be somewhere roughly equidistant. That's a pretty hellacious daily drive for your husband, though.

If you only have to be in Chicago once a week, you need to live closer to Peoria. I'll cast another vote here for Washington, IL. Super nice little (~15k) town near Peoria with good schools. You either have a super early departure for your one day a week in Chicago, or you go up the night before. If you do the latter, you can Amtrak it out of Normal or Pontiac. First north-bound train in the morning doesn't arrive in Chicago until 10 a.m., though, and that's if there are no delays, so a same-day commute is almost certainly a drive. It's about 2.5 hours if there's no traffic, probably better count on 3 or more for a typical weekday commute. Or you can drive to the Chicagoland outskirts and do a Park-And-Ride on the regular commuter trains like pvande55 suggests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois