Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Term limits for crooks like Madigan:
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/who-v...-mike-madigan/

I'd suggest redistricting, but that's already been tried.
This requires the same corrupt politicians that cause problems, to pass this idea. Granted it IS a good idea, but they're not likely to pass it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
you're right, you'd have to be mentally ill or a freeloader to stay in Illinois
Which are you? And if you don't live in Illinois any more, what's your beef?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Which are you? And if you don't live in Illinois any more, what's your beef?
Exactly.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It raises awareness and publicly shames our so called government.
How's that working out for ya?

Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
How's that working out for ya?
Well for one thing anytime anyone complains about how awful Trump is I just point at Illinois and tell them look how much worse the Democrats are. Darth Trump isn't the one taking families' homes from them with taxes.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
While the state is clearly in need of major financial "come to Jesus", the incessant complaining is tiresome. Guessing just about everyone is in one of these situations.

1) You aren't living as well as you want to live, and blame the government, so it feels good to scream. If only your taxes were a bit lower, you could afford more square footage, or have a little more in the bank, or whatever.
2) You have already left the state, and are pointing back to Illinois, making fun of everyone who is still here.
3) You are in the process of planning your exit (like, for real) and are loudly expressing why.

Case #1 solutions: vote, get involved, sell your home and rent, etc, or...find a job in another state that will pay enough to improve your situation, net of taxes. Some people will be successful doing this and other people will not. There are a lot of good paying jobs here, but some have found their answers elsewhere.

Case #2 solutions: just shut your mouth, and move on. Nobody likes you. You are either bitter or an arrogant prick, and it shows.

Case #3 solutions: just stay your course and do what you are gonna do. Nobody likes the guy/gal sending parting shots as they walk toward the door. Mostly, we will just wave goodbye.

Those those in Case 1, how can we create change? How can we save this place? I think it's worth it, the Land of Lincoln, the great City of Chicago, the infrastructure, the stellar suburban schools. Some wonderful colleges. There is a lot here that is worth fighting for. Hopefully the fight is worth it to enough people. We'll see.
Well put.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Well for one thing anytime anyone complains about how awful Trump is I just point at Illinois and tell them look how much worse the Democrats are. Darth Trump isn't the one taking families' homes from them with taxes.
I see, it's a defense mechanism.

You know it is possible to be anti-Trump and want Illinois to get its act together at the same time. Pretty sure millions of people are in this camp.

Hell I wanted a Republican president. Just not THIS Republican president.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I'll take anyone that stands between me and the disastrous, insane, and corrupt Democratic party.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:39 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And if you don't live in Illinois any more, what's your beef?
Remember, Illinois problems will stay in Illinois. We swear!

There will NEVAH be a huge exodus of people bringing their state-bankrupting politics to other places, like locusts. We pinky swear!

And of course, there will NEVER be any defaults on state government bonds held by pension funds invested by people out of state. We double-pinky swear!

And those same pension funds, if they take a bath on Illinois government bonds, will NEVAH cut people's retirement benefits. We triple pinky swear!

And the stock market won't drop like a rock causing everyone else's 401k's and IRAs to become less valuable, after SHTF happens in Illinois. We quadruple pinky swear, with cherries on top!

And we will NEVER have a large group of migrants leaving Illinois and taking their poverty and straining public services and social programs out of state. We quintuple pinky swear, with cherries on top and whipped cream on top too!

Seriously. If you believe ANY of that, you have no idea how interdependent people are in a society.

Illinois is the alcoholic next door neighbor who ruins your front lawn regularly by parking like garbage, and then one day crashes his car into your house. And has no car or homeowner's insurance, and no money because he drank it all away.

And you expect people NOT to be upset about this?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:10 PM

193 posts, read 69,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Best thing to do for some of you posters is to move out of the state and don't look back.
As soon as I get a job transfer I'm out Would like to sell my house but if all else fails I'll just walkaway, would hate to default on the mortgage but if that's what it takes to escape this ****hole then I'm willing to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: