Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM

13 posts, read 47,891 times

Advertisements

I'm a young transplant, moved here 2 years ago with my family. Live about 10 mins outside if town. Moved from the Chicago Loop out here - a big but fun transition. Hope that provides some context for my answer.

Downtown Galena gets busy with tourists. Typically a very pleasant crowd who is happy to be here.

Some folks have mentioned Dubuque, IA. It's fine but feels like a sprawl suburb to me. Happy to have it's resources nearby but not sure it has a small town feel.

I feel like my family and I have been accepted here, just have a very different experience than the other post. As a way to meet folks and give back I started volunteering in and outside of town. Already made some lifelong friendships and been welcomed into people's lives, many multigenerational Galenians, more than I ever expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 648 times
Has anyone recently bought in the Galena Territory? We are considering it, both in our late 50's just wonder if there is much diversity, more liberals than conservatives? Conservationists? Just curious, the prices seem a bit high right now. Lovely views and trails all over. Seems very nice.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:08 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne marino View Post
Has anyone recently bought in the Galena Territory? We are considering it, both in our late 50's just wonder if there is much diversity, more liberals than conservatives? Conservationists? Just curious, the prices seem a bit high right now. Lovely views and trails all over. Seems very nice.
The area has trended Republican. But, I can't say it's in your face.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
Who cares... we are all Immigrants (Irish, German, Polish, Czech, etc.) anyway, unless Native American. Now days more state migration but same principle.
Yes we are. However, it doesn't change rural viewpoints about new residents who have not grown up there. It is an economically depressed area. It's kind of like battle-buddies. Those that have been through the "stuff" tend to band together and have a respect for each other. The new guy in has not been through the same things and doesn't have the bond. I am originally from that area. I do not recommend Savanna either. It was a rough place to grow up and is still a rough place to exist. If you want to be isolated and alone, it's not a bad place. If you are looking for community, it probably isn't the place for someone from outside the area.

The transient nature of a tourist town can also make locals more adverse to newcomers.

I second the overrun with tourist description. It used to be that the town was dead (and closed up) once the summer was over. I haven't been there in about 10 years though. So take my views with a grain of salt.

I tend to steer people away from Illinois. It's really struggling and the solution has been to raise taxes. If you had to relocate for some reason, it might be hard to sell a property. If you are invested in being there for 20+ years, it might be worth it.

#Jeanne Marino: If you are looking for more democratic areas, this might help: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html
If you are looking for a touristy place to retire, La Pointe, WI or Bayfield, WI are both very democratic. Door County WI is nice too. You can find more affordable housing around Sturgeon Bay.

Last edited by CtrlEsc; 06-04-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois