Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times

Advertisements

I believe the tier 2 pension is not near as generous. Illinois is not the only state with under funded pension programs. All states either have a tier 2 pension program or have moved closer to a 401K program like most employers have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 AM

638 posts, read 240,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
3 out of 2,000.

I was talking mainly about the big gorilla - CPS.
The list I saw didn't include any CPS positions, mostly downstate but a few suburban

Old 06-20-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I believe the tier 2 pension is not near as generous. Illinois is not the only state with under funded pension programs. All states either have a tier 2 pension program or have moved closer to a 401K program like most employers have.
Tier 2, you do not get a full pension until you are 67... In Tier 1, its possible to get a full pension as early as 55..

Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Tier 2, you do not get a full pension until you are 67... In Tier 1, its possible to get a full pension as early as 55..
If you can name one thing about government pension programs that grates on me, it's the part where they can retire at full pension at 50 or 55. The amount paid in by the worker in relation to 30+ years receiving the pension is minute. I have TWO brother in laws, both policemen, who retired at 50. Are you kidding me? Granted, this wasn't in Illinois, but it still illustrates the ridiculous monetary burden placed on state governments to try and fund this.

Pensions were established years ago to compensate for generally lower wages in the public sector. We all know that's not the case anymore. The rank and file government worker is not getting rich, but today's compensation for them is definitely on a par with the private sector unlike years ago. Time to put all new hires on the 401K system like everyone else.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If you can name one thing about government pension programs that grates on me, it's the part where they can retire at full pension at 50 or 55. The amount paid in by the worker in relation to 30+ years receiving the pension is minute. I have TWO brother in laws, both policemen, who retired at 50. Are you kidding me? Granted, this wasn't in Illinois, but it still illustrates the ridiculous monetary burden placed on state governments to try and fund this.

Pensions were established years ago to compensate for generally lower wages in the public sector. We all know that's not the case anymore. The rank and file government worker is not getting rich, but today's compensation for them is definitely on a par with the private sector unlike years ago. Time to put all new hires on the 401K system like everyone else.
Pensions were established years ago when many companies also offered pensions. But over time companies started converting to defined contribution plans to save money, which is very hard for governments to do. Illinois would have to change their constitution in order to make any alterations to their pensions, as the state supreme court ruled when the state tried to make changes. Really Illinois didn't do anything that the private sector didn't do several decades ago (there were some pretty excessive private pensions too) but we're sort of stuck with what the state did back then.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Pensions were established years ago when many companies also offered pensions. But over time companies started converting to defined contribution plans to save money, which is very hard for governments to do. Illinois would have to change their constitution in order to make any alterations to their pensions, as the state supreme court ruled when the state tried to make changes. Really Illinois didn't do anything that the private sector didn't do several decades ago (there were some pretty excessive private pensions too) but we're sort of stuck with what the state did back then.
Sadly, especially in Illinois' case, there is no hope of ever getting out from under the pension fiasco. Politically the whole state is a deep rich color of blue. Money grows on trees and debt is just something that shows up on paper and isn't really real.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I get a pension and I 100% agree, as we age longer many people will collect a pension longer than they work.. I can retire in a few years if I want when I turn 55, but my current plan is to go until I am 60..

Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
Quote:
Sadly, especially in Illinois' case, there is no hope of ever getting out from under the pension fiasco. Politically the whole state is a deep rich color of blue. Money grows on trees and debt is just something that shows up on paper and isn't really real.
A few years the Democrats who were running the state did try to reduce the Tier 1 pensions and this is what got struck down by the high court. In order to change the pensions, you'd have to change the constitution, which requires 60 percent of both branches of the legislature to approve, as well as over half of the public in a vote. So it *might* be doable even in Illinois if things got bad enough. It's just too bad we have to wait for a calamity for anything to be done.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
If things get much worse with taxes we will have rioting, assignation of politicians, a housing collapse like 2008, an accelerating population loss and loss of businesses. Illinois will be like Venezuela.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If things get much worse with taxes we will have rioting, assignation of politicians, a housing collapse like 2008, an accelerating population loss and loss of businesses. Illinois will be like Venezuela.
uh huh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois