Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like living in Illinois?
Yes, I love it here. 12 16.44%
I have a love/hate relationship with it. 30 41.10%
No, I want to move. 31 42.47%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
You guys are going to lose your employer match (unless your under a collective bargaining agreement), while I’m still getting a fully paid pension (15% of my hourly rate) and 14% goes into an annuity the contractor pays for that too! Plus I’ll be getting a smaller international pension (IBEW). I can’t touch the annuity until I retire or if I stopped working for 18 months, then I could transfer it to an Ira and control it myself. It’s pathetic how you blame others for your life. Your parents needed to whip your a__ when you were a kid.
My 401k is fully vested and I have no worries about it going insolvent. If I had my retirement being run by Illinois Democrats I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I'm not blaming the Democrats for my life, though they effect the quality of it in a net highly negative way, I am blaming them for running a corrupt, self-serving, and dysfunctional government and for failing everyone they claim to serve, the working and middle class who they are taxing out of their homes and of the state workers whose pensions they mismanaged into insolvency. Their atrociously poor governing is going to lead to pain and tragedy for many people in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My 401k is fully vested and I have no worries about it going insolvent. If I had my retirement being run by Illinois Democrats I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

I'm not blaming the Democrats for my life, though they effect the quality of it in a net highly negative way, I am blaming them for running a corrupt, self-serving, and dysfunctional government and for failing everyone they claim to serve, the working and middle class who they are taxing out of their homes and of the state workers whose pensions they mismanaged into insolvency. Their atrociously poor governing is going to lead to pain and tragedy for many people in the near future.
If you keep making on-topic arguments on this subject instead of personal attacks, you run the risk of not being taken seriously in this forum.

Levity aside, I'm waiting for someone to make a competing argument that you are "wrong", that you are either working with the wrong facts, or have drawn the wrong conclusion from the facts; making their argument so well that they are able to "Change your mind" (and mine as well). So far, no one has stepped up to that particular plate, let alone hit the ball.

I think that most of the things we eventually see and remember as "history" are evolutionary in nature, meaning that they occur over long periods of time, and move so slowly that the changes that occur are not even apparent as single "things". There are exceptions to this, but they are rare (WWII, for instance; the flu pandemic of 1918, the discovery of electricity, the rapid growth of the digital era, etc.). The rise and fall of countries, and the states that comprise them, move much more slowly, outside of devastating wars. One thing I see as a potential "disruptor" in the near future for IL is climate change; not so much the rise of sea levels and population migration, but the changeover from fossil fuels to whatever alternative makes the most sense. The first casualty of this is the coal industry (and more specifically, the companies that make mining equipment - Hello, Cat, headquartered in IL). Also the southern, coal-producing areas of the state, and ethanol production, which will be phased out along with gasoline (although this will take decades to occur)). The flip side to this is the growth of wind farms, and maybe Rivian, if it can make it past its startup phase - speaking of which, major disruption is coming in the automotive industry, with both Ford and Chrysler (both having significant presence in IL) being at risk.

What positives exist in IL that can compensate adequately for the current crop of negatives, that won't take oodles of increased debt to realize? I'd count its existing nuclear energy infrastructure, but some of these plants are getting pretty long in the tooth. Others?

Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times
Quote:

That’s hilarious, your not blaming democrats for your life. Just about every post you make is how they make your life miserable and how much better it would be if only some trumpians would get elected. You would just find another excuse for your miserable life. If by mismanaged you mean lack of funding, I totally agree. If your employer didn’t contribute to your social security account, he would be in jail.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
If you keep making on-topic arguments on this subject instead of personal attacks, you run the risk of not being taken seriously in this forum.

Levity aside, I'm waiting for someone to make a competing argument that you are "wrong", that you are either working with the wrong facts, or have drawn the wrong conclusion from the facts; making their argument so well that they are able to "Change your mind" (and mine as well). So far, no one has stepped up to that particular plate, let alone hit the ball.

I think that most of the things we eventually see and remember as "history" are evolutionary in nature, meaning that they occur over long periods of time, and move so slowly that the changes that occur are not even apparent as single "things". There are exceptions to this, but they are rare (WWII, for instance; the flu pandemic of 1918, the discovery of electricity, the rapid growth of the digital era, etc.). The rise and fall of countries, and the states that comprise them, move much more slowly, outside of devastating wars. One thing I see as a potential "disruptor" in the near future for IL is climate change; not so much the rise of sea levels and population migration, but the changeover from fossil fuels to whatever alternative makes the most sense. The first casualty of this is the coal industry (and more specifically, the companies that make mining equipment - Hello, Cat, headquartered in IL). Also the southern, coal-producing areas of the state, and ethanol production, which will be phased out along with gasoline (although this will take decades to occur)). The flip side to this is the growth of wind farms, and maybe Rivian, if it can make it past its startup phase - speaking of which, major disruption is coming in the automotive industry, with both Ford and Chrysler (both having significant presence in IL) being at risk.

What positives exist in IL that can compensate adequately for the current crop of negatives, that won't take oodles of increased debt to realize? I'd count its existing nuclear energy infrastructure, but some of these plants are getting pretty long in the tooth. Others?
No attacks, I believe more and more companies are going to be abandoning the match on an 401k. Look out when that happens, MSchemist will be hooting and hollering about how unfair it is that federal government employees get a match and that corporate America no longer (just like pensions) match’s an employees contribution. The day is coming, sooner than people think. It will be a domino effect. “We have to stay competitive”, bla bla bla.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Curly, don’t forget your he nukes. Talking to o some old coworkers and friends that tell me unless exelon gets some help from the ICC, like the wind farms and solar companies most of the nukes are going to close. Starting with Byron, then Dresden 2 and 3 (units) followed by braid wood and then lasalle. the former CEO didn’t help exelon by getting caught up in the news lately over paying bribes to a downstate PAC. I’m told Exelon was close to an agreement but now non of the legislators want to go there for fear of being accused of a backdoor deal.
I’ll be buying some Rivian stock when it goes public. As far as Cat is concerned they can leave now, I hope they go under for the way they treated there employees.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
That’s hilarious, your not blaming democrats for your life. Just about every post you make is how they make your life miserable and how much better it would be if only some trumpians would get elected. You would just find another excuse for your miserable life. If by mismanaged you mean lack of funding, I totally agree. If your employer didn’t contribute to your social security account, he would be in jail.
If companies stop matching 401k's then people will do what they have always done and evaluate their total compensation vs the company's competitors vs the cost of living and decide if they want to move on.

And yes I am complaining that Democrats are running a dysfunctional government that is reducing the quality of life for the people they hypocritically claim to serve. Considering the horrendous polls I linked to in post #47, and the stagnating realestate market, and President Donald Trump a lot of people feel the Democratic party is drag on their quality of life. I'm not even that crazy about Donald Trump. I have issues with his personality and dumb statements but compared the to Dems atrociously bad governing a rabid skunk would be more palatable.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
If companies stop matching 401k's then people will do what they have always done and evaluate their total compensation vs the company's competitors vs the cost of living and decide if they want to move on.

And yes I am complaining that Democrats are running a dysfunctional government that is reducing the quality of life for the people they hypocritically claim to serve. Considering the horrendous polls I linked to in post #47, and the stagnating realestate market, and President Donald Trump a lot of people feel the Democratic party is drag on their quality of life. I'm not even that crazy about Donald Trump. I have issues with his personality and dumb statements but compared the to Dems atrociously bad governing a rabid skunk would be more palatable.
Well, why don’t you follow the advice your giving in your first paragraph? Iv worked in probably over 20 states in the last 7,8 years, could’ve made a ton more money if I wanted to head to California. Lineman are killing out there, lots or per diem too (all tax free). And you can believe all the “stagnating real estate market” you want. Nothing could be farther from the truth (maybe million dollar homes in certain zip codes). I’m always on my he look out for another rental. I couldn’t care less about some loser that bought an million dollar home and is selling for a loss cause he over paid. Sure some people got burned in 2008, they overpaid, listened to the same editorials your quoting now. I love how people tell me how bad (of good) the economy is, when it’s time to buy, sell, etc. but have very little real life experience, they just read alot of papers and listen to the tube. I’ve never lost money on a house. Lost a little bit on a lakefront lot in a waterski Lake development (when I added up the real estate taxes). Real estate (in Illinois) has been a very, very good investment for me. Always a never ending stream of potential renters. It’s really evolved in how I’ve advertised thru the years. For the past 8-9 years it’s just been sticking a sign out in front. That way I don’t get all kinds of calls from the newspapers or craigslist. The only people that call are ones that live close by or give the number to one of there friends.
Keep believing real estate is a loser in Illinois, more for me and other people that prove you wrong on the first day of the month, all year long.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:51 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
I couldn’t care less about some loser that bought an million dollar home and is selling for a loss cause he over paid. Sure some people got burned in 2008, they overpaid, listened to the same editorials your quoting now.
In my area, people are selling for less than they paid over 20 years ago. I don't think it's fair to say that they overpaid or are "losers".

Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Anyone who hates Illinois, would you consider moving to a neighboring state? Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc?

They say Indiana is taking in a lot of people from Chicago, maybe that's true, but Lake County Indiana is still losing people in some of its communities. A lot of cities on the south shore line are betting on Chicagoans moving to their city when the South shore double tracking project is completed.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 AM

I'd rather move someplace with a warmer climate but yea if my job was in commuting distance to Indiana I'd move there. However, a lot of people will have trouble selling their home. The value of my home has gone up at most 2% in two years and my tax assessment and taxes have gone up 20%. People are going to have a hard tome finding suckers to take their home from them as it is becoming like having a timeshare. Someone is going to have to start an Illinois Exit Team business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois