Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times

Advertisements

A little further out, Naperville sounds like a good fit. Express trains from Naperville can get you downtown in ~30 minutes. Also, La Grange or Hinsdale would be worth a look and will take you less than 30 minutes by train. These are pretty pricey areas though so it all depends on your budget.

Where are you at in Atlanta? I know the area well, used to live there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:40 PM

153 posts, read 101,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
They are more densely populated than some of the other suburbs, but it is very obvious that you are not in Chicago when you are in Evanston. Evanston isn’t on the same street grid. The tree canopy is much thicker. You immediately realize that there are a lot more single family homes, etc. Suggesting that they are just “extensions of the city” is ridiculous. Evanston west of Ridge Avenue is unmistakably suburban. Evanston has a lot more in common with Wilmette than with Chicago in every way. Ditto for Oak Park and River Forest vis-a-vis Chicago.
I agree that Oak Park is obviously suburban looking.... but it's blatantly an inner ring, borderline city-suburb. The houses there are essentially a well kept version of Austin, which is the city. No, it's not all greystones and two flats like you'll find in most city neighborhoods (though there are quite a few that do exist), but the density alone is very urban. Add in CTA access, EXTREMELY liberal mindset of most residents, and overall proximity to the city (closer to downtown than a lot of actual city neighborhoods), and you can see why Oak Park has a pretty urban reputation. I think OP's downtown will also become more urban in the future as west side gentrification might some day reach from downtown to OP.

I'm not as familiar with Evanston as I am with Oak Park, so won't speak there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois