Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 02:44 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times

Advertisements

I might be accepting a position in Carbondale, and I’m looking to rent an affordable single family home with yard in a nice area. Are there any areas you’d recommend that I look at in addition to Carbondale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 07:09 AM

49 posts, read 31,930 times
Depends how far away you want or are willing to go. Housing will generally be cheaper in neighboring towns such as Murphysboro, Carterville, or Cobden. There are also houses in the country you might like.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 AM

54 posts, read 94,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Egypt View Post
Depends how far away you want or are willing to go. Housing will generally be cheaper in neighboring towns such as Murphysboro, Carterville, or Cobden. There are also houses in the country you might like.
Somewhat agreed. There is special pressure on rental housing in Carbondale proper because it is a college town. Carterville, Energy or Herrin will be more likely simpler choices with better access to local support (shopping, etc.).

I personally wouldn't consider Cobden, as it's a fair commute on a hilly two-lane road and there's not a lot there, and I suspect quality rental housing will be tough to find. If you are indeed coming from England as your bio indicates, "country" in this region may be a lot more isolated than you would be accustomed to.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:18 PM
tlw

98 posts, read 432,986 times
Carbondale housing market should be a buyer/renters market. There are literally hundreds of rentals empty. Many business and commercial properties for sale. Three long time business's for sale on the "strip" alone. The main reason for this is the fall 2018 enrollment was 12,817. In the early to mid 90's the enrollment was pushing 30,000.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I might be accepting a position in Carbondale, and I’m looking to rent an affordable single family home with yard in a nice area. Are there any areas you’d recommend that I look at in addition to Carbondale?
Most US universities and colleges have dedicated staff to help new faculty with relocation/housing. Call SIU or better yet, look around on their website.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
For example, how is this neighborhood? 913 W Pecan St
Carbondale, IL 62901

Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM
tlw

98 posts, read 432,986 times
West Pecan area is fine. East Pecan area has a lot more student rentals .... some ok and some not. The east side of Pecan has more "slumlord" properties.
As I said, I wouldn't jump into anything till you've used all the resources you can find. With all the empty properties sitting, I'm sure many of the prices have dropped. The student housing market there has really tanked which will affect the entire town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois