Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Good day, I've been reading an interesting book on all the neighborhoods of Chicago, from their inceptions until today. I think it would be so neat to jump back to Chicago of yesteryear and see what it was like, say before the Interstate highways were created! It looks like Little Italy really WAS a Little Italy back then. Neighborhoods like Englewood and Garfield Park had a much different connotation than it unfortunately does today. Maxwell Street looked jumping with jazz music!... One can never have your cake and eat it too. I'm sure not everything was great, but it looked like people had style and pride and respect. To that extent, I say " take me back to yesteryear!". I was in Lincoln Square on Saturday and looked at how Brauhaus and a German bakery/deli down the street had closed. It's still a great neighborhood. But something about losing more and more of that German flair made me sad! All in all, I love your city. And thank you for always making me feel welcome! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Here's a link to the Chicago Forum thread in case people want to add to that thread instead.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...l#post55869325

Last edited by Gemini1963; 08-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Mistakenly replied on wrong forum thread

Old 08-06-2019, 08:15 PM

Gemini1963, thank you for your assistance. I appreciate it! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 08-07-2019, 10:31 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
There are some books written regarding the South Shore and Jeffrey Manor and such, two places that in the 40's and 50's were sweet places to be. Times change fortunately memories can often stay intact. Mine is But today they are a rather different story like so many of Chicago's neighborhoods. West Rogers Park is yet another that comes to mind. So many others that "went" as the saying goes. Oh well........

Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM

decisive, thank you for sharing. Of the areas you've mentioned, I'm only familiar with West Ridge. My kids and I enjoy their Indian Boundary Park, and the Red Door animal shelter. Please share how you've seen it change... It looks like such a nice area! Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 08-07-2019, 06:34 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I'm certainly one who is willing to admit when I'm wrong. Apparently West Rogers Park has been experiencing quite a Renaissance. The Chicago Police instituted a unique manner of enforcement that has dropped the crime in that area to a low compared to all other Chicago neighborhoods apparently which surprised me. I did some research on this. Being of a Jewish background it disappointed me to find back in the 70's there was a small migration of Jews out of the area. I had relatives that did so and have since passed away as well. Now there is a significant India and Hispanic influence there as well, but the Jewish population apparently recovered somewhat. Devon Ave. isn't quite what it once was, but who knows. With time anything could happen. So I stand corrected.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:18 PM

dcisive, I still have love for West Ridge, too. And I wish you a SHALOM!!!! Have a great day, and thank you again for sharing. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Chicago was the classic case studied by the sociologists at UofC in the 20s & 30s of the evolution of neighborhoods--"the concentric ring theory of urban development." New immigrating groups filled in the inner city neighborhoods as they decayed as the previous group, gaining in economic condition, moved out....What the original researchers didn't anticipate was the return of the richer generations to the inner city (gentrification) as commute times from the outer suburbs became excessive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_school_(sociology)

The northside Italian neighborhood was replaced by urban housing (eventually Cabrini-Green) in the early 40s. My Ma grew up there and didn't learn English until she started grammar school. My Pa (and I) grew up in Jefferson Park where he didn't learn English until he started school. German (with a Russian accent) was spoken by many if not most on the streets and in the stores, the area having been settled by "Volga Germans." Public schools, prior to WWII or so, usually had bilingual primary grade teachers due to the large numbers of immigrant kids.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
There’s an interesting book on West Rogers Park. Check it out-

Livezy, Lowell W. 2000. Communities and Enclaves: Where Jews, Christians, Hindus, and Muslims Share the Neighborhoods. New York, NY: New York University Press.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'm certainly one who is willing to admit when I'm wrong. Apparently West Rogers Park has been experiencing quite a Renaissance. The Chicago Police instituted a unique manner of enforcement that has dropped the crime in that area to a low compared to all other Chicago neighborhoods apparently which surprised me. I did some research on this. Being of a Jewish background it disappointed me to find back in the 70's there was a small migration of Jews out of the area. I had relatives that did so and have since passed away as well. Now there is a significant India and Hispanic influence there as well, but the Jewish population apparently recovered somewhat. Devon Ave. isn't quite what it once was, but who knows. With time anything could happen. So I stand corrected.
Wasn’t the creation of the eruv around west rogers park sometime in the 90s one of the reasons why people started returning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois