Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:20 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/24/cars/...own/index.html

Here's an update of sorts on the Rivian plant in Normal.

A quick recap of what happened is Mitsubishi shuttered the plant in 2015 which left 1,000 full-time employees in the lurch after having a high of 3,000 employees working at the plant. It was purchased in 2017 by Rivian which was then still an under-the-radar electric vehicle startup. The plant is currently at 940 employees and plans to have three vehicles go into production this year with an additional 2,500 more employees on top of its 940 employees which would put it past the Mitsubishi plants peak employment numbers. The original intent was to launch into production in late 2020, but the pandemic delayed that into this year with a June launch of its pickup and an August launch of its SUV while its Amazon delivery vans are currently in use in a pilot program in a select few regions and will have its own production line. Supposedly their ability to launch multiple vehicles at once is that they focused their efforts on creating a single "skateboard" platform that makes it easy for bodies to built on top of which they refer to as the tophat. After these launch, Rivian will continue working on smaller, less expensive versions of the skateboard platform for smaller, less expensive vehicles.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-25-2021 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 01:51 PM

https://www.wglt.org/post/rivian-fue...e-b-n#stream/0

Apparently this large influx of people due to Rivian has the real estate, home construction, and hospitality industries surging in the area.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
That's great to see! My friend works for Rivian but does so remotely from Chicago. Their truck and SUV look awesome and I would buy one of those from a looks perspective over a Tesla. But from a software and self-driving standpoint I would still prefer a Tesla...I think they're gonna win that race in the end.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
That's great to see! My friend works for Rivian but does so remotely from Chicago. Their truck and SUV look awesome and I would buy one of those from a looks perspective over a Tesla. But from a software and self-driving standpoint I would still prefer a Tesla...I think they're gonna win that race in the end.

In the auto business, there can be multiple winners.

Rivian still has plenty of obstacles to clear before becoming a sustainable business, but the Amazon deal gives them a pretty good shot. Better than any of the other post-Tesla start-ups, IMHO.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:13 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
More good news for Bloomington/Normal:

https://www.businessinsider.com/best...-buyers-2021-4
https://www.realtor.com/research/blo...e-home-buyers/

Bloomington number one in best markets for first time homebuyers

http://www.heartlandro.realtor/downl...eforecasts.pdf

Illinois real estate up 14% from last year.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:39 PM

Rivian just bought another 380 acres of land in Normal in order to get set for expansion: https://www.pantagraph.com/news/loca...c6b136f55.html

I don't like the property tax abatement part, but given that Rivian's original deal was for 300 full-time employees and they're now at 1,250 employees there, it sort of worked out.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:43 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Rivian just bought another 380 acres of land in Normal in order to get set for expansion: https://www.pantagraph.com/news/loca...c6b136f55.html

I don't like the property tax abatement part, but given that Rivian's original deal was for 300 full-time employees and they're now at 1,250 employees there, it sort of worked out.
Are they going to re-name "Mitsubishi Parkway"? (or whatever it was called, it was the feeder to the plant off I-74, I think the route number was "150" or similar). Are they going to make their own batteries on site, or purchase them from somebody like Panasonic?

To be honest, I didn't give them much credence when they first announced they were buying the Mitsu plant, but they are gaining credibility. I hope to see them actually start selling vehicles en-masse, but they've got to get the first one on the road, to be honest. I see an Amazon van (a Sprinter?) on my street almost every day, these days.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Are they going to re-name "Mitsubishi Parkway"? (or whatever it was called, it was the feeder to the plant off I-74, I think the route number was "150" or similar). Are they going to make their own batteries on site, or purchase them from somebody like Panasonic?

To be honest, I didn't give them much credence when they first announced they were buying the Mitsu plant, but they are gaining credibility. I hope to see them actually start selling vehicles en-masse, but they've got to get the first one on the road, to be honest. I see an Amazon van (a Sprinter?) on my street almost every day, these days.

Supposedly their large, luxury consumer pickup truck and suv launches next month. They've already got the Amazon vans in use in LA, the Bay Area, and Denver, so technically they already launched working vehicles. Hopefully they do Chicago and St. Louis launches for those vans pretty soon given how close these cities are to Normal. I reckon it's some combination of CA and CO having policies more favorable to electric vehicles and the colder weather guiding the decision to launch in CA and CO first before doing so in IL, though I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon starts using those vans in IL some time this year or the next.

I don't know if they're renaming the parkway--would make sense. They're purchasing the cells for now, but supposedly have been hiring for positions that could indicate battery operations.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that this seems to have worked out as well for Normal and IL as it did, because it does seem like a lot of times these targeted incentives specific to a company don't work out. That Foxconn plant deal in WI is an absolute cluster**** in comparison whereas the incentives for this plant was targeted towards getting 300 full-time employees and the plant's already at 1,250 full-time employees which is a massive difference.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-07-2021 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 03:14 PM

Normal is now purportedly one of three finalists for a massive battery production plant and one of the factors is probably to be close to a major client: https://insideevs.com/news/526690/no...battery-plant/

Old 09-04-2021, 09:37 PM

32 posts, read 33,350 times
Bloomington/Normal........not a bad area. It is a white collar area dominated by residents with blue collar tastes. Drive up and down Veterans Parkway and observe endless crappy chain restaurants and fast food. There is nothing to do there if you are single - unless you like bar hopping.

If that area can evolve culturally, then great! Cultural issues notwithstanding, it is not a bad area to raise a family if you have kids heavily involved in school or park district sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois