Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Here's the article: B-N Community Cheers Amazon's Big Rivian Order

EV startup Rivian, who has also taken a $700 million dollar investment led by Amazon will be making 100,000 delivery vehicles for the online retail giant. These vans for Amazon and any other orders that tag along will be made in a former Mitsubishi plant in Normal that was shuttered a while back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 04:02 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
I kept wondering what the status of that Rivian plant that used to house Mitsubishi, was currently at myself. Thanks for posting this article, and good to see they are making some vehicles there! Unlike what I worried, where for a while I worried they weren't making a lot of cars there at all.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Good for them. A potentially nice boon for central Illinois.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I'd heard maybe a few months ago that they'd missed one of their tax break milestones so I hope this means they're on track now.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
This company may be the real thing. Nice win for Bloomington Normal.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This company may be the real thing. Nice win for Bloomington Normal.
It definitely gives them credibility that both Ford and Amazon have invested so many dollars in the company, but I sure would like to see something of theirs on the road - their prototypes look promising, but their website sure is scant of information. Where are they in the product design cycle, when will they start manufacturing, and when will the public be able to purchase vehicles from them?

Rivian thus far reminds me of the (paraphrased) First National Bank Commercial: "But Mr. Kaflootsky, we've been working our fingers to the bone on your application since 1989!"

Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM

There needs to be dozens of Rivians for Illinois and hopefully some headquartered within the state, but this is a great overall.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
This is great news for Illinois...but this is also simply headline grabbing news...like when Amazon said drones would deliver packages.

- Rivian doesn't have a single vehicle on the road...let alone a delivery vehicle.

- Rivian has been developing their pickup truck for years...it looks / sounds awesome but it still isn't in production yet.

- Amazon delivery scheduled for 2021...Rivian can't design, test and produce a delivery truck that quickly...my guess is 2025 is a more realistic delivery date. Look at how long it takes Tesla to roll out new models including their electric semi.

- Amazon is a huge distribution company focused on quick deliveries. They wouldn't place a "real" large order like this with a small startup that hasn't produced anything. There's tons of easy cancellation language in the contract and when Amazon does place a "real" order it will be with a car company with established production and track record. Amazon get's good PR for saying it's going green while ordering from a company it knows will not deliver in time.

I hope Rivian succeeds. And headline grabbers like this are great PR. But in the next couple years Rivian will have produced only a pickup truck...and hopefully that's a success!

Old 05-16-2020, 06:46 AM

In Neighborly Nod, Rivian To Decline $1 Million Grant From Town
https://www.wglt.org/post/neighborly...-town#stream/0

As part of trying to attract Rivian to manufacture in the city, Normal’s municipal government offered targeted incentives worth up to $1 million dollars if Rivian met certain criteria. Due to the massive amount of private capital Rivian has raised as well as wanting to make a nice gesture to their host city during a time of falling public revenue due to the pandemic, Rivian has declined to take the $1 million dollars worth of incentives from Normal.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
This is great news for Illinois...but this is also simply headline grabbing news...like when Amazon said drones would deliver packages.

- Rivian doesn't have a single vehicle on the road...let alone a delivery vehicle.

- Rivian has been developing their pickup truck for years...it looks / sounds awesome but it still isn't in production yet.

- Amazon delivery scheduled for 2021...Rivian can't design, test and produce a delivery truck that quickly...my guess is 2025 is a more realistic delivery date. Look at how long it takes Tesla to roll out new models including their electric semi.

- Amazon is a huge distribution company focused on quick deliveries. They wouldn't place a "real" large order like this with a small startup that hasn't produced anything. There's tons of easy cancellation language in the contract and when Amazon does place a "real" order it will be with a car company with established production and track record. Amazon get's good PR for saying it's going green while ordering from a company it knows will not deliver in time.

I hope Rivian succeeds. And headline grabbers like this are great PR. But in the next couple years Rivian will have produced only a pickup truck...and hopefully that's a success!
The Amazon order is for delivery vans and not semis. They’ve shown off some prototypes and the size makes it seem like it’d be a pretty easy adaptation from the skateboard platform that their pickup truck and SUVs are using. Along with placing an order, Amazon also led a $700 million funding round for Rivian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois