Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times

Advertisements

I've driven by many times but I finally stopped in both the gold dome and the conservatory and both are worth a half day visit. The architecture of the gold dome...especially the exterior...is pretty cool. I also had no idea it had a basketball court, theater, gymastics, etc. all inside with classes offered by the park district. The conservatory blew me away. It was MUCH larger on the inside than how it appears on the outside...and the huge backyard with a cabbage patch...you almost feel like you're not in the city. It was so well maintained and much better than the one in Lincoln Park. Garfield Park itself is huge with a couple of lagoons. It might be the best park not on the lake (It's hard to top Lincoln Park / Millennium / Grant Park).

- whoops I meant to put this in the Chicago thread.

Last edited by dtcbnd03; 10-20-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
I do love the conservatory! Been there several times. We love the turtles and koi in the pond! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I've driven by many times but I finally stopped in both the gold dome and the conservatory and both are worth a half day visit. The architecture of the gold dome...especially the exterior...is pretty cool. I also had no idea it had a basketball court, theater, gymastics, etc. all inside with classes offered by the park district. The conservatory blew me away. It was MUCH larger on the inside than how it appears on the outside...and the huge backyard with a cabbage patch...you almost feel like you're not in the city. It was so well maintained and much better than the one in Lincoln Park. Garfield Park itself is huge with a couple of lagoons. It might be the best park not on the lake (It's hard to top Lincoln Park / Millennium / Grant Park).

- whoops I meant to put this in the Chicago thread.
Garfield Park does have a lot to offer and definitely rivals its sister to the north Humboldt Park.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:50 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Garfield Park is the furthest west park in Chicago's park and boulevard system. It was originally known as Central Park, but was renamed Garfield Park in honor of Pres. James A. Garfield after his assassination in 1881. Until the complete reconstruction of the Green Line on the L system about 25 years ago, there were 2 Green Line stations which served the park, as well as the residential area to its north.

Last edited by Nearwest; 10-20-2019 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 AM

Nearwest, that was some interesting facts. I always like to learn more about the city and it's history. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a good day!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-21-2019, 01:54 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Master Jay: Thanks for the 'thumbs up.' You can trace the original name of Garfield Park as Central Park, since the main north-south street through the park is Central Park Dr.. The Green Line station which serves the park is named Conservatory/Central Park Dr. When the Green Line was rebuilt in 1994, the Homan Ave. station (2 blocks to the east of the Conservatory) was dismantled and then reconstructed as the Conservatory/Central Park station.

Adaptive reuse.

Last edited by Nearwest; 10-21-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Nearwest, TWO Thumbs Up, now!! You definitely know a lot about this topic! I've been going with my kids the last 5 years or so. They have that slide in there. Better believe, I, too, have gone down that slide! A parent has to set a good example to the kids. And being active and having fun are good examples!!... In nicer weather we also like the outdoor children area. And as I mentioned, we like the turtles! Have a great day, all! Yes, put the Conservatory on your list, if you havent gone. Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois