Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times

Advertisements

OK, Illinois runs counter to the typical national situation on airport location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 AM

11 posts, read 47,411 times
I lived in B-N for 18 years until last year :-) I already miss it, and I'm only 40 miles away, lol

There is ALWAYS tons of things to do. I think the Thursday issue of the Pantagraph has the big entertainment section, with everything in B-N and Central Illinois. And buy the Saturday edition for the Homes section....there's a city map in it every week.

Buy your groceries at Schnucks. I worked there for ten years, so I'm biased, lol. Seriously, though....they have award-winning meat and seafood departments, as well as liquor and produce. The bakery is the best, and for everything floral, it's the greatest. Cheaper than a regular florist, and they deliver. Tell them that Jodi sent you, lol People will say that the store is expensive, but it's absolutely not. They have bigger sales, more stuff on sale every week, than any other store in town. And really, the meat is outstanding. I've seen other meat departments and I just about want to gag, lol. The new Schnucks on the north side of town is a bit smaller than the older Schnucks by Eastland Mall. I worked at that one. There's more selection there.

People are INCREDIBLY friendly in B-N, I've found.

One funny thing about B-N is that while traffic can be a bit heavy during the day, after 10:30 pm the town just DROPS DEAD, lol. Seriously, you could spend hours driving all over and not see more than a few cars, total. For a city close to 120,000 now, it's amazing that everyone is tucked in at night.

Some of my favorite places are the Normal Theater (vintage and independent films), Schooner's, Mugsy's, the Lucca Grill (pub food and italian). The Shakespeare Festival in August. The Third Sunday Market at the fairgrounds. the Sugar Creek Arts Festival in downtown Normal in July, and the Corn Fest in August, too.

Good luck! I think you'll really like B-N

Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 527 times
Default Don't

Don't move to Bloomington Normal or Illinois for that matter. Illinois corruption!!!. Bloomington / Normal boring!!! Are you crazy? You obviously are going to work for State Farm like everyone one else in Bloomington. It gets old very fast. State Farm, good insurance company, BAD employer. I suppose you can use it as a stepping stone but get out as fast as you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM33 View Post
Hello out there~

I am hoping that someone can help me out a little. My spouse and I are moving to Bloomington-Normal next month due to a career change and we know very little about it. I am hoping someone can help me out with a few questions that I have:

1. Are there areas to stay away from when looking for housing? We won't be able to buy at first since we are moving with just 1 months notice so we are looking for somewhere to rent. We'd like somewhere in a safe area.

2. How is the safety of the area overall?

3. Is Bloomington-Normal a diverse community? We enjoy exploring other cultures and I am hoping that B-N is big enough that there will be some diversity. What is there to do in B-N?

4. Is there anything that you feel I should know overall about this area? Would it be better to look for something outside of town in the country or is within the city limits ok?

I do know where Veterans Parkway is in Bloomington, but beyond that, I haven't a clue. Oh! I know where Avanti's is...oh my gosh I'm looking forward to having them close by. I love their bread!

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me out. I'm trying to get this move planned on short notice so I am hoping that someone out there will have some helpful info.

Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM

98 posts, read 109,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestillinois View Post
Don't move to Bloomington Normal or Illinois for that matter. Illinois corruption!!!. Bloomington / Normal boring!!! Are you crazy? You obviously are going to work for State Farm like everyone one else in Bloomington. It gets old very fast. State Farm, good insurance company, BAD employer. I suppose you can use it as a stepping stone but get out as fast as you can!

This just shows how we all think differently. I work for State Farm, have for 26 years, and have now lived in Bloomington for almost three years. I LOVE it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois