Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
It is supply and demand. This is what has happened in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. I use these 3 states because I have experience in them. At first there is more demand than supply so the prices are high. Once the legal growers get established there will be WAY more product than demand and prices will plummet. Legal ounces are easily found for under $100 OTD.

All 3 states still have black market weed but most of that is being shipped out to states where it is still illegal because that is where the cash is.
Hopefully you are right! This is one where I'd love to be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The marijuana you're getting in Illinois is also entirely produced in Illinois. Bringing it in from another state is a federal offense, unlike alcohol, due to it having to cross state lines. This means that states that have legalized have to be far more cautious and regulatory when it comes to the sale and distribution of marijuana.
True...but so is New Glarus beer and that's sold everywhere in Wisconsin yet not transported across state lines.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:03 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
One, a black market is always going to exist when some states are legal and some aren't. Good 'ol fashioned arbitrage. Just like booze, capitalism and prohibition don't mix.

There's a black market in cigarettes right here, right now because Cook County taxes making a pack of smokes 15 or 16 bucks is kind of the same economics

All the resources needed to create a competitively-priced supply for cannabis and its products are here in Illinois. An abundance of cheap nuclear power, fresh water, land and underutilized industrial/warehouse space. Chicago could be the 420 capital of the world if it decided to be.

Lots of potential "green mile" type areas. When I first walked down Clark Street through Rogers Park, say from Howard southward toward Loyola, that's what I was thinking. Kinda rundown, probably relatively cheap compared to the places that would normally get thought of in this context, like Wicker Park or Lakeview. Close to a bunch of college students. And old folks who probably could use some sort of medicinal. That's my dark horse pick there. It'd be a step up over there.

Over here, I just hope this isn't what I see in about 30 minutes

Untitled by James Fremont, on Flickr

I'm not there for weed, I just want to play pinball and maybe drink a beer. I'll just go over to Wicker instead if it's still a circus.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yup, seriously and harshly. Otherwise say hello to increased gang violence. I mean, look, I think people on this Board generally are well meaning. I do. But it's very hard for them to relate to what goes on in some areas due to our rampant segregation. That's why these things need to be looked at from all perspectives.

The Refresh, Renew, and Rejuvenate Program will certainly make limousine liberals feel good but it isn't going to mean anything to the Latin Kings, Two Six, and other gangs who will perceive that a tremendous business opportunity has been created with little risk of serious consequences. They are going to fight over that, and that's going to be an issue in areas already plagued by violence, unless some serious deterrent is put into place.
https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/01...alderman-says/

Both the January shootings appear to be gang related, Cappleman said in an email to constituents. The alderman said he is working with local police officials to monitor the rise in gun violence.

“Both the 19th and 20th Police Districts believe these incidents are due to conflicts related to drug sales,” Cappleman wrote.

Hopefully this isn't a precursor of what we're going to see as gangs fight over access to sell weed cheaper than the highly taxed legal weed.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:02 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,242,892 times
BRU67, what a coincidence. Yesterday I was in Chicago dining with a Chicago friend, and this topic came up. I mentioned that even when prohibition ended, there were still criminals trying to force establishments to sell their liquor, and with the new law would have to sell theirs cheaper. So the marijuana situation wouldn't be much different. Criminals will always behave like criminals. Incidentally, I did pass a THC clinic on Western and Ogden on my way to dinner with that friend at Ignotz in Heart of Chicago area.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:28 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,415,447 times
Is the flooding of our country with CBC products that do not get you high related to this rapid legalization of cannabis?

Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, what a coincidence. Yesterday I was in Chicago dining with a Chicago friend, and this topic came up. I mentioned that even when prohibition ended, there were still criminals trying to force establishments to sell their liquor, and with the new law would have to sell theirs cheaper. So the marijuana situation wouldn't be much different. Criminals will always behave like criminals. Incidentally, I did pass a THC clinic on Western and Ogden on my way to dinner with that friend at Ignotz in Heart of Chicago area.
I don't like to be right on stuff like this but common sense, coupled with being on the ground in a neighborhood with gang activity, tells me that there is going to be increased violence as a result of this. There will be a robust weed black market. The state, city and county will tax the bleep out of the legal product (unlike some, I don't see taxes going down) so there will be a huge incentive for consumers to avoid those taxes, and there will be little means by which law enforcement can react to illegal tax-free sales, since the drug itself is legal.

Even assuming that there's an desire to do this. Our politicians, and, indeed, the affluent progressive voting residents of the City, do not seem to care much about what happens in the underprivileged communities they do not live in.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:49 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,242,892 times
BRU67, I don't like that you appear to be right about this!!!

Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, I don't like that you appear to be right about this!!!
That makes two of us! Legalized weed is, overall, probably good. But it's never been tried in a high tax city with a lot of feuding gangs like this one. It's a recipe for disaster unless it's handled right. And forgive me for being cynical that it will be. I'm afraid we'll be inundated with cute stories of "Buds 'n Suds" laundry mats and "Dogs 'n Dubes" pub crawls in places like Logan Square, while misery continues in the most troubled areas, barely covered in the media.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
That makes two of us! Legalized weed is, overall, probably good. But it's never been tried in a high tax city with a lot of feuding gangs like this one.
What about Los Angeles? I know it's a lot safer than it used to be but the gangs are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois