Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats your fave IL season?
Spring 4 16.00%
Summer 5 20.00%
Fall 14 56.00%
Winter 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times

Advertisements

Fall for sure!
THe air is crisp, there's lots of agri-tainment, football...halloween...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpc View Post
I grew up in Illinois but have not lived there for many years. I visit regularly throughout the year and I must say that I miss the fall the most. I like the long season (relative to seasons in Colorado) of leaves turning brilliant colors, the cool evenings after the summer humidity has left the air, the smell of burning leaves. I miss fresh apple cider from a local orchard and fresh corn from a roadside stand – something that I have not enjoyed since I’ve lived there.

However, I still love returning every year in the fall to play TPC Deere Run for ½ price!
Off-topic, but there are lots of roadside stands in Boulder County. In Champaign County there were very few (dare I say none?) when I lived there. The metro Denver area has a long fall season. Maybe you need to move down the mountain.

I told my daughter the other day that once you have gone through summer in Champaign, you are happy to see fall come!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
The two weeks of spring and the two weeks of fall are alright. Summers and winters are too long, muggy, and leave you wishing you were someplace else. But I enjoy watching the leaves bloom, so spring it is for me.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 PM

68 posts, read 274,088 times
Summers are too long?
I say we don't get enough Summer.

Summer it is for. Hands down. May be i am speaking more so for Chicago. Chicago summer is just way too good. There is sooo much to do (not that i even attend a quarter of those)

Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamert View Post
Summers are too long?
I say we don't get enough Summer.

Summer it is for. Hands down. May be i am speaking more so for Chicago. Chicago summer is just way too good. There is sooo much to do (not that i even attend a quarter of those)
I'm sorry you feel that way. It means you haven't experienced anything outside of this city.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. It means you haven't experienced anything outside of this city.
What a ridiculous thing to say. What other city has the energy of Chicago in summer/spring/fall that is cooler (weather wise)? While other places are baking with 90s and 100 degree temps and high humidity, we sit at a comfortable 75-85 degrees on average. Sure we bust 90 degrees on average of 10 times every year, but those hot and miserable days are the NORM in many places of the country during summer. Like he said, summers in Chicago are very nice. Spend some time on I-55 during June and just watch the influx of all the snowbirds coming back for the summer, youd be amazed. AZ, FL, TX plates up the wazoo, and for good reason.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 PM

245 posts, read 697,870 times
For me it's summer all the way. I have RA so cold and damp is a killer, feels like being the tinman without his oilcan. I've always liked the heat more than the cold. I used to think it was humid here in the summer but after spending a summer in the FL Keys, I think my humidity meter got reset and I've never complained about NW Illinois summer humidity since. I'd be happy to have summer all year round.

I am moving to the desert in the next year however. 90 degrees at 3% humidity just suits my body perfect, plus not having to store my motorcycle over the winter will be awesome. Me and aging are not going to get along I can tell you.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say. What other city has the energy of Chicago in summer/spring/fall that is cooler (weather wise)? While other places are baking with 90s and 100 degree temps and high humidity, we sit at a comfortable 75-85 degrees on average. Sure we bust 90 degrees on average of 10 times every year, but those hot and miserable days are the NORM in many places of the country during summer. Like he said, summers in Chicago are very nice. Spend some time on I-55 during June and just watch the influx of all the snowbirds coming back for the summer, youd be amazed. AZ, FL, TX plates up the wazoo, and for good reason.
To each his own, I feel that summers here are not only humid, but not warm enough.

Of course, I've lived in Texas, Florida, and Kentucky, and all three have completely different summers (and weather), so I have a lot to compare to. Illinois is the worst of the three. I don't understand why you defend this state to the death. There isn't much to defend.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Illinois only has two seasons, winter & construction

Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
To each his own, I feel that summers here are not only humid, but not warm enough.

Of course, I've lived in Texas, Florida, and Kentucky, and all three have completely different summers (and weather), so I have a lot to compare to. Illinois is the worst of the three. I don't understand why you defend this state to the death. There isn't much to defend.
First you say you lived in TX, FL and KY, yet you complain about it being muggy here??? Okaaaaaay. Then you say that you feel the summers here are "not warm enough", but earlier you state that "summers are way too long". So which is it? Then you also say that winters are too humid. Sure the humidity is quite high in winter, but the air still feels incredibly dry most days, making most people have to lather on the lotion and chapstick (myself included). And also, most of TX, FL and KY have very similar summers. The only difference being KY is slightly cooler than places like Dallas, Miami, Houston, etc. I think youre talking nonsense, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois