Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:18 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
1) Agreed

2) Didn't say that, I want production of essential items to be diversified around the world, not concentrated in one country, which puts us at huge risk - with some "minimal" amount made here

3) Yet I see everyone with a smart phone, legal m-jay, big-screen TV, booze, cigarettes, upscale nails, Air Jordans, etc.. Priorities are upside down in the U.S.. Dried beans and white rice lasts indefinitely if stored properly and is very cheap; maybe long-term food staples are what the Gub'mint should be providing right now instead of cash that will go to extra whacky tobacky for many folks. This disease is attacking people of color disproportionately, and part of the reason is as stated - inferior health care, jobs that cannot be worked from home, etc. - but you'll notice deafening silence on the subject of pre-existing conditions like diabetes, that can traced directly back to poor lifestyle choices, such as obesity. To hype one side of it while being politically correct on the other is dishonesty personified. Bottom line, got a lot of respect for those Mormons for their foresight and practicality. I've been looking for a state to enact my "Escape from New York (but really Illinois)" for some time, Utah has gained points in my mind from this crisis, will re-evaluate after all the data is in.
2) Free markets at play! So let em play

3) I’m not even going to touch this one. Broad generalizations and stereotypes. There’s a reason food banks are swamped right now and it isn’t because all these people bought a pair of Air Jordan’s. Smh

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al....outputType=amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 02:30 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
3) Many Americans can barely afford food for a week and you expect them to build a 6 month stockpile?
Keep in mind that it's going to take time to build up a 6-month "stockpile" of groceries. You don't just go out and buy them all at once. Every time you shop, you pick up just a few extras -- like maybe $10 worth of canned goods a week, or whatever works for you. Once you've got a decent amount of food storage, you start using up what you've got, rotating what's in storage with new purchases so that everything doesn't end up expiring before you can use it up. It's a very logical, sensible approach when handled that way.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:48 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Keep in mind that it's going to take time to build up a 6-month "stockpile" of groceries. You don't just go out and buy them all at once. Every time you shop, you pick up just a few extras -- like maybe $10 worth of canned goods a week, or whatever works for you. Once you've got a decent amount of food storage, you start using up what you've got, rotating what's in storage with new purchases so that everything doesn't end up expiring before you can use it up. It's a very logical, sensible approach when handled that way.
Katz, do "most" Mormon families still follow basic preparedness, or is that considered an old-fashioned concept today? I remember my aunt and uncle having five gallon buckets of flour, grains, maybe seeds, shelves of canned goods, etc. that they would rotate as your described. If you make something a priority, it seems to get done. If you don't, we're seeing results of that right now. Mother Nature can be a cruel influence, and doesn't tend to take it easy on the unprepared.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My family of four cleared out our entire pantry and fridge in two weeks. How much storage space would one need for a 6 month supply of food?!? You realize most families living paycheck to paycheck and visiting food banks right now live in tiny apartments right?

Old 04-10-2020, 06:22 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Sure. Let them play with taxpayer money. That's why they can play. It is not a free market when corporations aren't allowed to fail. When they do fail, they are propped up with public funds. That is a socialized market. Which is what we are witnessing int he stock market. Public funds are propping up a capitalist system. Therefore it is no long a capitalist system. It has been socialized.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Sure. Let them play with taxpayer money. That's why they can play. It is not a free market when corporations aren't allowed to fail. When they do fail, they are propped up with public funds. That is a socialized market. Which is what we are witnessing int he stock market. Public funds are propping up a capitalist system. Therefore it is no long a capitalist system. It has been socialized.
My comment was sarcastic. GOP always touts capitalism! What we are doing and trying to do here is anything but that. It’s all manipulated. We just have a better/more creative way of hiding it than say a country like China.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:36 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Katz, do "most" Mormon families still follow basic preparedness, or is that considered an old-fashioned concept today? I remember my aunt and uncle having five gallon buckets of flour, grains, maybe seeds, shelves of canned goods, etc. that they would rotate as your described. If you make something a priority, it seems to get done. If you don't, we're seeing results of that right now. Mother Nature can be a cruel influence, and doesn't tend to take it easy on the unprepared.
It's really hard to say. Most practicing ones probably at least make an effort. I definitely don't think most consider it to be an old-fashioned concept. I know it's not continually emphasized today like it was, say, 20 years ago, but it's still definitely encouraged. My husband and I had a very small amount of storage, but nowhere near what we probably should have had. When this is all over, I think we'll probably start taking it a bit more seriously. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law, on the other hand, probably could feed both themselves and both of their grown kids and all of their grandkids on what they had stored.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:53 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Apparently you are missing the paradox of leaving liquor and tobacco stores open.
Well, there are plenty of cronies in those industries who bought the correct politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
China is a corrupt, corny capitalist society.
So is the United States. We have a cronyocracy here. But at least we have more human rights here than in China, so that's a huge plus.

Quote:
I wish we had free markets. We have crony capitalism here.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:00 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm wondering how IL. is going make up all the lost tax dollars from the virus. Sales tax, gas tax, lotto income, weed tax, income tax, investment income, business tax, convention income, tourism, the list goes on and on. Chicago will be hit the hardest and they are already at the upper limit of raising fees and taxes so it will be interesting what they do. Plus, you can bet the Porky will be pushing his "fair tax" so they can raise the income tax rate on everybody. Going to be fun to watch.

Told ya ! Posted this back on March 29th.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:18 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Can't wait to see if they still try to raise state taxes 67% during all of this. I will take yes if anyone wants to bet.
Same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois