Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:59 PM

11 posts, read 36,226 times

Advertisements

My husband has family there & we're thinking of moving to Chilli. Could anyone please tell me the pros & cons of that town? Would love to raise our child in an area with alot of country around. ANd have heard (from the husband) that the school system is excellent. Thank you for any thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 07:02 PM

196 posts, read 1,037,763 times
I can't tell you to much but me and my wife have lived in Chillicothe for five years now. Our children are not old enough to attend school yet. We left Peoria for cheaper housing and a safer school. We also wanted a quick route to Peoria for work and shopping. I love watching the boats go by on the river. I can't wait for the new waterpark (small) at Shore Acres to open. I also enjoy the disk golf course. Other than that their is not much more that we do in town besides eat. Overall I feel safe in this town but I wish I was a little closer to Peoria.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:45 PM

jwhittak, thank you for your response! Are there no preschools? Our boy is 3.5yo and currently attending a preschool. I think it definitley would be important to continue that education & socialization.
And feeling safe is a good thing! We moved here for pretty much the same reason, tho cost of living in CA is so high. So that would definitley be a plus in Chilli's favor. That & being able to grow up on a farm (non working).

Old 12-26-2006, 07:31 AM

The phone book shows ABC Day Care Center (274-2766) and Plymouth Congregational Church (274-2585). Both are listed under preschools but I don't have any input on them. Our oldest is 3 yrs and 4 months. My wife doesn't work so we haven't checked into it. Our socializing is just taking him to the park I believe their is another preschool but I would have to do some research.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:34 PM

jwhittak, I think we can put someone in the family to work on investigating the preschools thank you!! I'm a stay at home mom myself, so I hope I can pick yours/your wife's brain in help w/ what to do to entertain our guy. And may I ask where's the best place to look for a job for my husband?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:18 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,527 times
The Peoria Journal Star is good for a start: http://www.pjstar.com .
Also, the State of Illinois has a website for job seekers, which I don't recall the address to, if you Google up "IDES job search" you should get a result. What kind of jobs are you looking for? BTW, many Peoria area people work over in Bloomington-Normal. The paper out that way is the Pantagraph: http://www.pantagraph.com . Bloomington-Normal is a real happening place, you may want to check it out too.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Peoriahelpwanted.com is a local area site for job searching. All jobs are going to be in Peoria, for the most part. Caterpillar is the largest employer in the area. We also have three hospitals in Peoria. Methodist, OSF, and Proctor. The following link mentions some of the larger employers: http://www.villageprofile.com/illino...a/peoria2.html.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Thank you for the leads! My husband was very busy on the computer today! He is looking for a management position and has a strong background in security & safety.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM

Why are you guys wanting to leave California? If you are planning on moving here I hope that you have visited. I'm guessing it's going to be a much slower pace of life for you. I've never been to California so I'm not quite sure of the lifestyle. I noticed you mentioned your husband has a background in security. I believe that Guardsmark is the company that Caterpillar uses for it security.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:58 PM

The cost of living in CA is outrageous! What we paid for our home here, we'll be able to buy land AND a home there! We haven't been back to Illinois in about 2yrs, but I'm familiar w/ the town & my husband grew up there. And the slower pace really is no different from wheren we live now. We live in an unincorprated part of the mountain here. While beautiful, I'm getting pretty tired of the mountain roads! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois