Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 05:59 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
What's your point? It's mostly elderly with underlying causes. 650k die from heart disease every year. It's called life. Or do you want to shut down the world until we have a cure for every single cause of death and people live to be 1,000?
Well, first we were told back in February/early March, look H1N1 killed 12,500 Americans and Covid hasn’t even killed 100 people yet! Why is everyone freaking out?! Once we blew past that total, we were told in late March/early April, look the seasonal flu kills 60,000 Americans and they are only forecasting 60,000 covid deaths by August. This is nothing! We blew past that total and they’re now forecasting 150,000 by early August and god knows how many by February/March 2021 one year after we started counting deaths from this pandemic. But sure, keep moving the goalposts and underselling the severity of this pandemic...

Old 06-11-2020, 06:51 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Master Jay - Totally agree. I went to Lake Geneva on Monday to go boating and it was mostly Illinois plates in the parking lot. I know people typically head up there for the summer but it's 10-fold now with everything open up there.
Lake Geneva is too humid and warm, Eagle River, Minocqua, Manitowish Waters area is where I usually go to.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM

529 posts, read 646,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Wisconsin...also seeing increases recently. Again, let’s see how they’re doing in another couple weeks before declaring victory

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jso...amp/5329557002
To JUST say cases are rising is misleading, testing has increased a TON. Here is a very positive quote from the article you linked.

Wisconsin reported 270 new coronavirus cases Tuesday out of 14,227 tests run since the previous day, placing the percentage of positive tests at 1.9% — a new low since the pandemic began to pick up in the state.

The percentage of positive tests, a metric that health officials once used to guide reopening after Gov. Tony Evers' stay-at-home order, has been on the decline with a few blips back upward since early May. Since May 28, it has hovered at or below 5%

Old 06-11-2020, 07:55 AM

148 posts, read 121,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
MovingForward59, good morning. Since the George Floyd incident, I have not seen anything different in terms of numbers, protocol nor inmate demographics. I work in a jail in southeast Wisconsin.

Wishing you all a great day!
You missed the point.
In light of George Floyd the days of mass incarceration & private prisons are coming to an end.
Prisons will be shrunk & closed over the next decade. Its not a job safe industry anymore.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:55 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
To JUST say cases are rising is misleading, testing has increased a TON. Here is a very positive quote from the article you linked.

Wisconsin reported 270 new coronavirus cases Tuesday out of 14,227 tests run since the previous day, placing the percentage of positive tests at 1.9% — a new low since the pandemic began to pick up in the state.

The percentage of positive tests, a metric that health officials once used to guide reopening after Gov. Tony Evers' stay-at-home order, has been on the decline with a few blips back upward since early May. Since May 28, it has hovered at or below 5%
That’s a good point. Probably better to focus on hospitalizations, which many southern states are seeing increase the past couple weeks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...%3fid=71181103

Old 06-11-2020, 09:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
MovingForward59, I see what you're saying. Luckily if I didn't work in the jail, I have other things I could do professionally.

Hopefully though, anyone that is a danger to society would be institutionalized if they are not rehabilitated.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/ominou...ry?id=71154842

"In Arizona, average COVID-19 hospitalizations have risen 49% from May 26 to June 9, the second-biggest rise of any state during that time period."

Does that have anything to do with testing?

That's encouraging so far for Wisconsin, but hopefully people aren't being as lackadaisical up there as people in some of the southern states.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lake Geneva is too humid and warm, Eagle River, Minocqua, Manitowish Waters area is where I usually go to.
It's too bad Wausau doesn't have more lakes. Rib Mountain and hilly topography make the area beautiful, and the lake and rivers contribute to that, but various lakes, and the area would be a very popular tourist destination in the summer. I think it's definitely more of a winter destination. Not as far north, either, as some of those other locations.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Chicago expecting a $700M budget shortfall. Renters are exiting New York and San Fran in mass (which will hit Chicago too). Businesses in Chicago are contemplating exiting the city due to shut downs and riots. And we're still talking about phased reopenings?!?!?!? Beyond dumb...open everything up NOW.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:14 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Chicago expecting a $700M budget shortfall. Renters are exiting New York and San Fran in mass (which will hit Chicago too). Businesses in Chicago are contemplating exiting the city due to shut downs and riots. And we're still talking about phased reopenings?!?!?!? Beyond dumb...open everything up NOW.
San Francisco has had 3 consecutive days of no new cases, which is almost insane for a dense city of that size, New York's cases are very low right now, and Illinois is the only state out of 50 that met federal reopening guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois