Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 12:58 PM

19 posts, read 36,694 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some information on Pekin, IL.?
Specifically, the GLBT situation?
Is there a high incident of homophobia?
Thanks to anyone who may help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 01:07 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsporter View Post
Can anyone give me some information on Pekin, IL.?
Specifically, the GLBT situation?
Is there a high incident of homophobia?
Thanks to anyone who may help.
It's in the Peoria are which has gay bars. I can't imagine homophobia is more prevalent than anywhere else.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:16 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
It's in the Peoria are which has gay bars. I can't imagine homophobia is more prevalent than anywhere else.
Oooh, not too sure about that. Pekin is known for being "less tolerant" than East Peoria, which was the HQ of some KKK or other white supremacist offshoot maybe twenty years ago (the leader of the group was convicted of trying to have the judge that sentenced him murdered, you can look it up). I've never lived there, but have been through several times. Appearance is of a nice, small town, very blue collar in appearance, but with a "Good Old Boys" vibe in many of the bars. I doubt they are afraid of gays ("homophobic"), but the populace is probably not known for being hugely tolerant, either. Will they seek out and lynch gay people? Not likely, this is 2020 after all. But if you go down to the local biker bar wearing *ss-less chaps and a feather boa, and start dancing and making out with another guy? LOL, you may get more than a little hassled for that, but who knows. I'd hate to lead the BLM march in that town, myself.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
But if you go down to the local biker bar wearing *ss-less chaps and a feather boa, and start dancing and making out with another guy? LOL, you may get more than a little hassled for that, but who knows.
That's not a situation likely to go down well anywhere outside of a gay bar anywhere in this country.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:32 AM

211 posts, read 136,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That's not a situation likely to go down well anywhere outside of a gay bar anywhere in this country.
Eh not true, it would fly in any Miami Beach or Palm Springs establishment, regardless if the bar is 'gay' or not . Actually I'd say that's true of most progressive cities, but depends on the neighborhood.

Also, can we lose the assless chaps as a gay stereotype? It's wayyyyy outdated.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Eh not true, it would fly in any Miami Beach or Palm Springs establishment, regardless if the bar is 'gay' or not . Actually I'd say that's true of most progressive cities, but depends on the neighborhood.

Also, can we lose the assless chaps as a gay stereotype? It's wayyyyy outdated.
Sorry, it's the only one I know, I came of age in the "YMCA" era - I'm still oddly confused about that cowboy, LOL. The only gay friend I had (that I know of) was a bartender in the club for which I worked the door - we were more co-workers than friends, but he was a very funny guy, I went to a pool party at his house once. A very "flamboyant" guy, he wasn't hiding who he was to anyone, I remember him dressing up as "Glenda" for a W.o.O. Halloween party in 1986 (I went as "Toto" complete with picnic basket - I won). He would get with the waitresses after the lights came up and go all catty on whoever didn't show up that night, funny as heck. Unfortunately, I heard he died in a Jeep accident in the early 90's.

I haven't seen a Chicago "Pride" parade for many years, but the last time I did, boas and chaps were still very much in vogue - again, I'm sure, chosen for their ability to elicit shock than anything else, although the leather outfit worn by Vito Spatafore in The Sopranos was a close second. OP, I'm sure you'll do well in Pekin, but pick your redneck pool halls wisely.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,242,892 times
Good day, Ok. A few years ago, I saw a guy at Pride Fest wearing only boots and a tool belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois