Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 06:12 PM

10 posts, read 10,751 times

Advertisements

As a resident of Illinois (not a home owner), I have read extensively about the Illinois tax burden and especially the amount of property taxes, owners must pay. As someone who wants to own a home, the amount of property taxes scare me to a point where I have thought about moving to other states to buy a home.

In the next year I believe Illinois and Chicago will declare some form of bankruptcy because of the amount of financial stress the pandemic has put on the state.

What would bankruptcy look like? If the federal government does not bail the state out would we see taxes continue to climb?

If the federal government did give us a bailout taxes would theoretically be lowered? Right?

Also I am a state employee very far from retirement but how would this situation effect pensions and salaries for state employees? I currently work in the schools where most of the teachers make upwards of 70,000 per year. Would Illinois continue to pay state workers well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 07:23 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,351,454 times
Look towards Michigan as a potential exemplar.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:59 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,211,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKNWJXNQ View Post
If the federal government did give us a bailout taxes would theoretically be lowered
This will not happen in the next fifty years. The country would have to undergo revolutionary change for people in other states (aka the majority of federal taxpayers) to be compelled to bailout the public pensioners of Illinois. Every state has its own problems.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,372,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
This will not happen in the next fifty years. The country would have to undergo revolutionary change for people in other states (aka the majority of federal taxpayers) to be compelled to bailout the public pensioners of Illinois. Every state has its own problems.
It's not unheard of though. This pandemic has definitely increased talk and speculation of cities/states being bailed out. I'm not sure if it will actually happen, but I wouldn't say it's an impossibility.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:12 AM

10 posts, read 10,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Democratic politicians have been talking about it. The thinking is because Illinois, NY send billions to the federal government to support states like Kentucky that they should receive a bailout.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,348,059 times
Yea and the Trump and the Senate will bailout bleepup blue states over their dead bodies.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:33 AM

31 posts, read 32,029 times
I believe the reason why they are trying to avoid bankruptcy and go for the bailout is because it will kill most state pensions. Defund the politicians.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 AM

1,803 posts, read 921,605 times
Some forget how in 1975 NYC was in a dire situation. It drastically cut all city services and crime was skyrocketing. It was on the verge of bankruptcy for years land desired a Government bailout or loan package and then President Ford denied NYC any such thing.

Then by 1975 the day was at hand. Bankruptcy Papers were completed and about to be filed. A perfect storm of a new state governor and pressured President Ford gave in to float Government Loans to NYC. It was a long road out and as we know NYC recovered and did pay back the loans.

Detroit also cut everything and the city degraded to abandonment till declaring bankruptcy.

No city should have to go to such a level of chaos and declines before doing bankruptcy or government aid again. Chicago cutting all services and have any progress of what the city had taken away and even crime getting much worst is not a option the Nation should desire.

Many states and cities are in huge pension debts, even mighty fast growing Texas. NYC also tremendous pension debt. Eventually a state will set a precedence for this National issue of many states and major cities. Will Illinois be first? Seems a likely candidate and a National referendum on Pension debt reform of some kind that Illinois has not been able to gain compromise with Unions etc.

Either way as President Trump knows very well. Bankruptcy is a NEW START as he himself used many times. We had Mitch McConnell the Majority Speaker of the Senate even remark a few months ago that cities heavy in debt before this Pandemic should possibly look at bankruptcy, but then he backtracked on that. Still he said it. States cannot default so that alone would be a first and set a new precedence again.

Again, many states are in the same boat to varied degrees. NYC has even more debt per person then Illinois. Illinois so far does not allow a city in the state to do bankruptcy. That is easily changed though or should be if that time is neigh.

Would government Loans as NYC received decades ago be something to turn the city around? That would only be if this Pension debt can be relieved and steps to lessen increasing burdens ended. So again, a National Precedence for cities and states looked into.

I believe after this election that this is what is to be looked into and sought. Perhaps a Loan package with strings to get compromises on the Pensions. Or seek bankruptcy. At some point seems inevitable There seems to be no way out to relieve the debt and therefore no way to improve the burden but for taxes that still hardly even place a dent in it anymore. So the INEVITABLE is DEFAULT. It seems it is only WHEN not IF.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:06 AM

685 posts, read 756,830 times
I've never worried too much about the pensions. They have been reformed and the savings will become apparent as retirees pass. Food for thought: Even the Illinois pensions are better funded than Social Security, which is essentially a paygo system.

I've lived in a few states, and the only big outlier I've seen in Illinois is higher real estate taxes. Oddly enough, the state of IL gets a bad wrap for taxes, but real estate taxes are entirely a local affair. The state does not levy any real estate tax.

Perhaps it is worse in some areas, but where I own property in the Metro East, I am only paying $2500 in real estate tax on a $100k home. Sure, the percentage rate is high. But buying in another state to save $1000 wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Especially considering that property taxes are deductible against both federal and state taxes.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:22 AM

148 posts, read 120,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I've never worried too much about the pensions. They have been reformed and the savings will become apparent as retirees pass. Food for thought: Even the Illinois pensions are better funded than Social Security, which is essentially a paygo system.

I've lived in a few states, and the only big outlier I've seen in Illinois is higher real estate taxes. Oddly enough, the state of IL gets a bad wrap for taxes, but real estate taxes are entirely a local affair. The state does not levy any real estate tax.

Perhaps it is worse in some areas, but where I own property in the Metro East, I am only paying $2500 in real estate tax on a $100k home. Sure, the percentage rate is high. But buying in another state to save $1000 wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Especially considering that property taxes are deductible against both federal and state taxes.
Until you can not physically pay them anymore as they continue to soar.
Check back with us in 5 years and see how much your property taxes have increased.
Oh and don’t forget the SALT deduction is capped at $10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois