Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2020, 05:43 AM

29,753 posts, read 18,615,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
An article about the “Illexodus”.
https://reason.com/2020/12/23/illino...secutive-year/

But who is moving? People who feel marginalized by Chi-town’s domination of the state?

My nephew and family left in the past year. He's an engineer and grew up in Colorado and liked Illinois fine but never as much as he liked it back in Colorado. I suspect there's a variety of class of people leaving from tax refugees, climate refugees, opportunity refugees, crime refugees all leaving Illinois for their various reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 09:23 AM

233 posts, read 272,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You must miss the state if you keep looking at this forum after leaving so long ago.
Nope. And I haven't been viewing this forum as much as NWI, Wyoming and Montana. Of course I don't live in America anymore - so your problem remains yours

Old 12-27-2020, 10:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,870,212 times
Many are leaving not only because of taxes but because they want to live in Red States that reflect more of their attitudes. Go then.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,387,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Many are leaving not only because of taxes but because they want to live in Red States that reflect more of their attitudes. Go then.
I experienced this in pint-sized format when moving to Berwyn about 20 years ago. Everyone who was moving from there to Plainfield and Darien (back then) would be very eager to toute the decline of Berwyn and how we were going to be overtaken by gangs, crime, "Section 8," and possibly astroids, I think I recall. This is that on a macro scale. I found it curious, at first, but came to learn that psychologically, people want to justify their decisions and like to feel superior.

But you also have to keep in mind that many people are now fleeing coastal cities for red states for lower taxes and cost of living. So those folks are going to turn those areas blue. So the gloating may have a limited shelf life with respect to some areas.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:33 PM

89 posts, read 58,523 times
I left IL in 2018 for a blend of reasons that have been mostly discussed here. I'm not a fan of Illinois' tax rates, and while I moved somewhere with higher income tax, I don't have sales tax and lower (like, less than half) property taxes. But the taxes themselves weren't the sticking point, it was just the endlessness of the corruption and pissing away those taxes for no real benefit to the state.

I also left because I found a better job opportunity - IL doesn't have as many good options in my field (I'd be making a subpar wage here).

Last, I was tired of spending half the year shoveling and dealing with the snow. That sort of combines with the tax part - why get taxed like crazy to live in this flatland with comparatively little scenery? (I still love the city of Chicago and maintain that it's the best looking city from various vantage points.) Where I live now, even though I complain about the taxes there too, at least I can go to the mountains, coast, rivers and wine country within hours, and the scenery is just absolutely night and day compared to IL. I come back to IL regularly because the rest of my family and many of my friends still live here.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
I left IL in 2018 for a blend of reasons that have been mostly discussed here. I'm not a fan of Illinois' tax rates, and while I moved somewhere with higher income tax, I don't have sales tax and lower (like, less than half) property taxes. But the taxes themselves weren't the sticking point, it was just the endlessness of the corruption and pissing away those taxes for no real benefit to the state.

I also left because I found a better job opportunity - IL doesn't have as many good options in my field (I'd be making a subpar wage here).

Last, I was tired of spending half the year shoveling and dealing with the snow. That sort of combines with the tax part - why get taxed like crazy to live in this flatland with comparatively little scenery? (I still love the city of Chicago and maintain that it's the best looking city from various vantage points.) Where I live now, even though I complain about the taxes there too, at least I can go to the mountains, coast, rivers and wine country within hours, and the scenery is just absolutely night and day compared to IL. I come back to IL regularly because the rest of my family and many of my friends still live here.
So, you moved to Portland, OR to escape bad political leadership?

Old 12-28-2020, 12:47 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,465,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
So, you moved to Portland, OR to escape bad political leadership?
Thinking the same thing, especially Portland. Bend? Maybe. But, Oregon, in general, is not much better than Illinois. Those sky-high income taxes for nonetheless resource-challenged public schools and lackluster infrastructure strike me as unjustified.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,326,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Thinking the same thing, especially Portland. Bend? Maybe. But, Oregon, in general, is not much better than Illinois. Those sky-high income taxes for nonetheless resource-challenged public schools and lackluster infrastructure strike me as unjustified.
The income tax isn't that much higher and when taken along with the property tax it is a better deal.

according to https://smartasset.com/taxes/oregon-...tor#4m4HFo9m15
a single earning $100k has an effective Oregon income tax rate of 7.67% and property tax less than 1% effective [0.9%]. So $3,150 on a $350k property. [10.8% of income total combined]

Better than paying 5% income tax + $10,500 property taxes on that same $350k property here in the formerly great state of Illizuela. [15.5% of income combined] Plus it gets worse if you earn less with the property tax which is highly regressive.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-28-2020 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2020, 01:36 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
We left in 1980 before the state started going bad. Haven't been back since. Don't miss it.
I left in 1977. Yay! I grew up in Chicagoland and was so glad to get the heck out of there at age twenty. I also never went back to live in Illinois, but I did go back to visit my grandma once a year till she died. And yes, taxes drove some of my relatives out of Illinois.

Exwyocowboy - I see your location is Súðavík, as in Iceland? Very cool. I got to live in Iceland for three years ('77 to '80) when the Navy gave me orders to Keflavik. At first it was scary, but I grew to love Iceland. There is a lot I still miss about Iceland all these years later.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-28-2020 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Keflavik

Old 12-28-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The income tax isn't that much higher and when taken along with the property tax it is a better deal.

according to https://smartasset.com/taxes/oregon-...tor#4m4HFo9m15
a single earning $100k has an effective Oregon income tax rate of 7.67% and property tax less than 1% effective [0.9%]. So $3,150 on a $350k property. [10.8% of income total combined]

Better than paying 5% income tax + $10,500 property taxes on that same $350k property here in the formerly great state of Illizuela. [15.5% of income combined] Plus it gets worse if you earn less with the property tax which is highly regressive.
But will it stay like that? A check of Zillow does confirm the low property taxes but it also shows a lot of properties for sale. Usually, an erosion of a tax base leads to higher property taxes.

I mean, I'm not trying to be a smarty britches here. I'm just implying that if I was going to leave "Illizuela," Portland certainly wouldn't be in my top five, if you know what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois