Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2021, 01:55 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
You now have a thread always on top in the Chicago forum (created by the mod) FOR CRIME TO -
Vent
Resent
Attack
Bury
Label
Diss
Hate
Sprew - meaning "to say ugly or hateful things,"
Ect.

ON CHICAGO even with venom and ill intent. Just no personal attacks as usual. The city terrible and crime yes and even attacking politicians etc.

Apparently, some missed the threads also created on Chicago crime and taxes and politicians over weeks now. In the Politics forum. You can freely create some new threads there too. Robert9 found a home there.

So if YOU feel you cannot do the above Crime comments in other IL forums. USE the below thread DAILY and as NEEDED. THE BELOW "CHICAGO CRIME" Thread - created for you by the mod.

You now have your freedom of speech to vent on Chicago there and post crimes and incidents and how you are happy to have moved away. BUT STILL HAVE BAGGAGE EATING AT YOU and RESENTMENT NEEDING RELEASE.

The Crime thread for Chicago. I am sure Chicagoland and IL crime would be welcome too and some added opinions of Chicago a awful city and such. Others have found it now you can now. You're Welcome.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...l-crime-5.html

Hopefully then one can feel more happy where they are now and let go of the -- Baggage. over even years now.

Have you made the move to Chicago yet, steeps/DavePa/NoHyping/Chi-town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 02:16 PM

663 posts, read 305,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Have you made the move to Chicago yet, steeps/DavePa/NoHyping/Chi-town?
Me. I am retired living by my hometown. What many of us Boomers do. Best thing is to not take that baggage with you after selling your home, having a decent life in your Chicago years and look forward to returns.

If poor though? I would tell anyone in hoods to move to a nice small city outside a big metro. Start new where no gangs are and your children can be free of them and crime you must still be enduring.

Still once you make the move. Release more of it and be involved locally looking forward and keep the great memories.

Back to a hometown region is pretty common for retirement. All my relatives did over the decades. To Wisconsin to Pennsylvania. Worked for me and my wife.

I did think I wanted coastal Florida. Did not choose it and doing good. Healthwise also. If not happy where you live? There is a whole Nation out there.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Me. I am retired living by my hometown. What many of us Boomers do. Best thing is to not take that baggage with you after selling your home, having a decent life in your Chicago years and look forward to returns.

If poor though? I would tell anyone in hoods to move to a nice small city outside a big metro. Start new where no gangs are and your children can be free of them and crime you must still be enduring.

Still once you make the move. Release more of it and be involved locally looking forward and keep the great memories.

Back to a hometown region is pretty common for retirement. All my relatives did over the decades. To Wisconsin to Pennsylvania. Worked for me and my wife.

I did think I wanted coastal Florida. Did not choose it and doing good. Healthwise also. If not happy where you live? There is a whole Nation out there.
I don't see the difference between a former resident constantly waxing nostalgic and a former resident complaining about the city's issues. As far as I'm concerned, both groups are living in the past. And, to be honest, I don't think anyone here is looking for advice from you.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:40 AM

74 posts, read 67,188 times
Quote:
You now have a thread always on top in the Chicago forum (created by the mod) FOR CRIME TO -
Vent
Resent
Attack
Bury
Label
Diss
Hate
Sprew - meaning "to say ugly or hateful things,"
Ect.

ON CHICAGO even with venom and ill intent. Just no personal attacks as usual. The city terrible and crime yes and even attacking politicians etc.

Apparently, some missed the threads also created on Chicago crime and taxes and politicians over weeks now. In the Politics forum. You can freely create some new threads there too. Robert9 found a home there.

So if YOU feel you cannot do the above Crime comments in other IL forums. USE the below thread DAILY and as NEEDED. THE BELOW "CHICAGO CRIME" Thread - created for you by the mod.

You now have your freedom of speech to vent on Chicago there and post crimes and incidents and how you are happy to have moved away. BUT STILL HAVE BAGGAGE EATING AT YOU and RESENTMENT NEEDING RELEASE.

The Crime thread for Chicago. I am sure Chicagoland and IL crime would be welcome too and some added opinions of Chicago a awful city and such. Others have found it now you can now. You're Welcome.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...l-crime-5.html

Hopefully then one can feel more happy where they are now and let go of the -- Baggage. over even years now.

Or here's a thought... maybe Chicago and the governor could get their acts together and make positive things happen? People who live here are sick of watching the decay and constant crap that goes on while other cities are growing and have positives to discuss. While cities like San Diego celebrate a new trolley line, amphitheater and shorefront developments amongst a long list of other things, Chicago was busy doing photo ops of raising the drawbridges like some medieval town defending against the barbarians and extending the red line further into a rapidly declining area while the entire system becomes more and more dangerous.

From another quote it seems you don't even LIVE HERE anymore, you're just the typical case of someone who comes in for a fun weekend over the summer and thinks everything is great. Things are not great and they aren't trending better. People are angry and understandably so. Recent population trends suggest roughly 122 THOUSAND people left IL in the last 6 months. That is 1% of the state's population, yet we're supposed to pretend like everything is fine?

Old 01-23-2022, 10:36 AM

29 posts, read 29,065 times
Default It's not just those wanting to leave but those not wanting to move in

I have lived all over the USA and have real estate in a few places. I just cannot bring myself to consider a purchase in Illinois despite some of the finest--if not the best-- architecture in the USA. Not because of the high taxes, but because of WHY there are such high taxes. To that, add the anti-BLM sentiment I find on forums like this among existing residents, and you have an absolute no way in heck will I ever buy property here. FYI BLM is not a movement it is OK to disrespect if you are educated and respectful of people of color. It's just not ok to villainize people you don't know and learned about on Fox news or whatever. Same as thin blue line; if you have family in law enforcement, you are probably not going to disrespect that either. So, yeah, a basic lack of respect for those different than yourselves, highlights the racist culture of lower middle class people around Chicago, lurking in these forums waiting to spew their vitriol. Another issue is that with a company that would bring serious revenue to Chicago, I cannot ask nor expect my employees to pay such high taxes. Considering the poor services, not great schools, and suffering lower income neighborhoods, the taxes are not forgivable or understandable. And your markets are somewhat volatile, and rather than bettering your existing neighborhoods, I see a trend of new money abandoning them and moving further and further in to the suburbs, creating more sprawl, and dead zones where areas decline into decay. You know, there are ways to stop that, and it does require ethical leadership and policy. But you keep letting the money win. I don't see how it can be fixed until the most underprivileged in your areas see what is happening and put a stop to it. Organize, mobilize, and take control of your neighborhoods. Get on board and followthemoneytrail.org and put a stop to the corruption it is both dem and repub and it stinks

Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thparkly View Post
To that, add the anti-BLM sentiment I find on forums like this among existing residents, and you have an absolute no way in heck will I ever buy property here. FYI BLM is not a movement it is OK to disrespect if you are educated and respectful of people of color.
Yes it is ok to disrespect an organization/movement that treats violent habitual criminals that get injured or killed resisting arrest as heroes.

Noone aside from the handful of white robe swastika wearing cretins out there thinks people of color should be subjected to excessive force or abuse by agents of the government. With very few exceptions (Floyd) that is not what is happening. We have habitual violent criminals getting hurt resisting arrest and members of BLM treat them as heroes and martyrs and then torching buildings and looting stores. Sorry, but especially now, nobody outside of some loony progressives respect criminals who spend their lives harming others regardless of what race they are nor organizations that support them.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:25 AM

249 posts, read 181,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thparkly View Post
I have lived all over the USA and have real estate in a few places. I just cannot bring myself to consider a purchase in Illinois despite some of the finest--if not the best-- architecture in the USA. Not because of the high taxes, but because of WHY there are such high taxes. To that, add the anti-BLM sentiment I find on forums like this among existing residents, and you have an absolute no way in heck will I ever buy property here. FYI BLM is not a movement it is OK to disrespect if you are educated and respectful of people of color. It's just not ok to villainize people you don't know and learned about on Fox news or whatever. Same as thin blue line; if you have family in law enforcement, you are probably not going to disrespect that either. So, yeah, a basic lack of respect for those different than yourselves, highlights the racist culture of lower middle class people around Chicago, lurking in these forums waiting to spew their vitriol. Another issue is that with a company that would bring serious revenue to Chicago, I cannot ask nor expect my employees to pay such high taxes. Considering the poor services, not great schools, and suffering lower income neighborhoods, the taxes are not forgivable or understandable. And your markets are somewhat volatile, and rather than bettering your existing neighborhoods, I see a trend of new money abandoning them and moving further and further in to the suburbs, creating more sprawl, and dead zones where areas decline into decay. You know, there are ways to stop that, and it does require ethical leadership and policy. But you keep letting the money win. I don't see how it can be fixed until the most underprivileged in your areas see what is happening and put a stop to it. Organize, mobilize, and take control of your neighborhoods. Get on board and followthemoneytrail.org and put a stop to the corruption it is both dem and repub and it stinks
The people who post on here are NOT an accurate representative of the average Chicagoan. They are the most conservative and extreme. If I had to guess I'd say they present maybe 15% of Chicagoans. Definitely not mainstream. Even conservatives I know aren't as right wing as some of them. I think this happens on many types of social media. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
The people who post on here are NOT an accurate representative of the average Chicagoan. They are the most conservative and extreme.
Not really. The extreme conservative views expressed typically are government should serve the people first, not tax grannies and working families out of their homes to give themselves and union cronies million dollar pensions and benefits. That the government has a duty to defend taxpayers and businesses from the criminal dregs of humanity. The government should respect people's freedom and only regulate to prevent people from hurting each other and society. If that sounds extreme to Democrats they are in for a shock in November.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:45 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
An appropriate thread, for an appropriate article.
And for those exiting; where are you going?.
www.marketwatch.com/story/im-done-with-illinois-i-want-to-retire-in-a-small-town-in-a-neighboring-state-so-where-should-i-go-11638914804?mod=where-should-i-retire

"I’m looking for a small-town atmosphere, with open land around it and maybe a body of water nearby. I always said my ideal would be water in the front and trees in the back. I can’t be too far from the family just west of the Chicago suburbs, but I am done with Illinois! It doesn’t matter how many red counties you have, Chicago votes in who they want and we all have to go along with it."

Old 02-08-2022, 04:17 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
An appropriate thread, for an appropriate article.
And for those exiting; where are you going?.
www.marketwatch.com/story/im-done-with-illinois-i-want-to-retire-in-a-small-town-in-a-neighboring-state-so-where-should-i-go-11638914804?mod=where-should-i-retire

"I’m looking for a small-town atmosphere, with open land around it and maybe a body of water nearby. I always said my ideal would be water in the front and trees in the back. I can’t be too far from the family just west of the Chicago suburbs, but I am done with Illinois! It doesn’t matter how many red counties you have, Chicago votes in who they want and we all have to go along with it."
Not just Chicago, but most of the metro area now. There used to at least be some balance produced by the power struggle between Cook and the collar counties -- it wasn't unusual for some of the latter to not have a single elected Democrat at the county level at any given time. Since then the blue has radiated outward and consumed much of suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois