Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 09:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times

Advertisements

Kmanshouse, you made me think...

Maybe Bitey and others that seem unhappy (IF possible) could try to do what I currently do:

Move to Wisconsin to enjoy the lower taxes and abundance of open and green land areas, and still have the convenience of coming into Chicago and/or other places in Illinois to enjoy all the good things it has to offer?

Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 09:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, you made me think...

Maybe Bitey and others that seem unhappy (IF possible) could try to do what I currently do:

Move to Wisconsin to enjoy the lower taxes and abundance of open and green land areas, and still have the convenience of coming into Chicago and/or other places in Illinois to enjoy all the good things it has to offer?

Just a thought...
You're not alone Master Jay. Wisconsin and NW Indiana seem to be the biggest places profiting from Illinois'/Chicago's mismanagement.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Kluch, good morning.

It's interesting. Today my co-worker and I were discussing why it is difficult to maintain our 3rd person on our team of 3. Everyone has their reasons for why they stay/NOT stay in a position..... And the same would go for why one chooses to stay/NOT stay in a living location, I suppose!

As an adult, I used to come to Chicago in the 1990s with the Korean Tae Kwon Do Masters that wanted to have authentic Korean food and access to Korean markets, since Wisconsin essentially has NONE in the entire State!!!

And I enjoyed our trips down, but my exposure at that time was limited to where the Korean district was! But I always enjoyed the culture, and honestly, the mixture of both grittiness and suburban feel that the far north side had to offer.

And later, as an adult, when I divorced, Chicago was my getaway from Satan, I mean, Shelly... so that I could go have father and child time, uninterrupted. I began to explore ALL kinds of neighborhoods on ALL sides of Chicago. And boy did I fall in love!!!

When I was a child in the 70s/80s, I remembered my dad taking me to neighborhoods like Chinatown, Maxwell Street, Greek Town, Pilsen, etc.... And then it was MY turn to expose my children to the beautiful history and cultures of the neighborhoods in Chicago.

So these days, I come down into Lake County and/or Cook County every weekend because it is my 2nd home. So I have MY reasons for why I want to keep coming back.

For those who ARE residents and have THEIUR reasons for why they want to leave, I hope you seek out and attain that goal!... Life is not worth living with regrets or unhappiness.

So my suggestion, if you can tweak somethings, give Wisconsin a try. Or give Indiana a try, as our colleague Kluch is saying.

There is a saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."... Maybe you may eventually want to move BACK! (My Milwaukee co-worker/friend had gotten a job near Chicago and moved to Norwood Park.. And she stuck around to live in Andersonville, and then Edgewater... She relocated to Milwaukee for a couple years, and is soon moving BACK to Edgewater!).

Or, maybe, you'd do the Master Jay thing and live in Wisconsin or Indiana and come in whenever you need a Chicago food fixin' for the great food, nightlife, festivals, etc.

OR, maybe you'll leave and NEVER look back!

WHATEVER you do, do what makes you happy. That's the most important thing. You can NOT put a price on happiness!

Love you guys!

Old 04-07-2022, 06:41 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

That said, if that's not important, then I get Bitey's attitude - he doesn't need/want that and thus doesn't want to pay for it. Understandable, and probably better suited for a different part of the country.
It's not that I mind paying for those things, when I use them. What I do mind is paying one of the highest state tax burdens in the nation for some of the worst governance.

I mind paying for the self-dealing that has seen my property taxes nearly double relative to the value of my home with no corresponding increase in the quality or volume of services I receive, all so that mid-level government functionaries can retire at 55 with 2 million dollar pensions -- and while the massive pension funding gap just keeps getting bigger.

Well, guess where they will keep turning to fill that gap?

I mind paying among the highest gas taxes in the nation and STILL having tollways.

I mind paying for a governing class so hostile to basic civil order I dread each time I have to go into the office because I never know what I'm going to encounter on the train ride into town.

I mind paying for a governing class that makes it so hard for police to do their jobs they've quit and retired en masse, thinks eliminating cash bail is a swell idea, thinks cops shouldn't be allowed to chase criminals or eject trespassers from private property, etc.

And then they scratch their heads wondering why Illinois has lost yet another Congressional district.

But what I mind most of all is the increasing number of constituents looking around and saying "this is fine -- after all, I can go to the CSO whenever I want!" That's when you know government reform will never happen and your only remaining practical option is to get out.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:56 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

And then they scratch their heads wondering why Illinois has lost yet another Congressional district.

This is one of the most important things related to the decline of Illinois. Long term erosion of influence in DC.

People do not comprehend how bad it has been and how long it has been going on. Illinois had 27 representatives in the House and now has only 17. And from 29 Electoral College votes down to 19. The drip, drip, drip started in 1940 with the Great Depression and on the eve of WWII and has continued unabated until now. Think of that. Illinois lost 10 House seats over 80 years. An average of more than one per each census. And it won't be any better in 2030. A long, slow slide toward irrelevance nationally.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:00 AM

663 posts, read 305,715 times
If so bad and no area of IL is cheaper. Start a move yesterday. Staying put totally unhappy is unhealthy. Always remember that utopias come at a cost.

Reading forums in booming sunbelt cities also have many complaining of crime rise to housing out of hand and more they rise the more real estate tax they will have to pay by assessed value.

My home state area is cheap. Cheap for many reasons. Most larger metro areas are not. Way America is...

My home state also lost Congressional seats. It is also in the North. No one is forced to stay in a state they resent.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:05 PM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
If so bad and no area of IL is cheaper. Start a move yesterday. Staying put totally unhappy is unhealthy. Always remember that utopias come at a cost.

Reading forums in booming sunbelt cities also have many complaining of crime rise to housing out of hand and more they rise the more real estate tax they will have to pay by assessed value.

My home state area is cheap. Cheap for many reasons. Most larger metro areas are not. Way America is...

My home state also lost Congressional seats. It is also in the North. No one is forced to stay in a state they resent.

If that was directed to me, we split our time equally year round between Buffalo Grove and Southwest Florida homes (South Fort Myers area). Our Florida home is worth much more than the BG home, is much nicer, and RE taxes are less than a third as much. We only keep one foot in Illinois due to family - who also are trying to move out of state as well. Just a matter of time. We could shift our residency to FL tomorrow, but there is no point.

So we are not staying put. We have already shifted much of our life to SWFL. We are far more comfortable there than in IL which has gone off the far left deep end in the last 15 years. IL is just an unfortunate place we return to from time to time to due to family. And that may end soon.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:55 PM

82 posts, read 95,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
If that was directed to me, we split our time equally year round between Buffalo Grove and Southwest Florida homes (South Fort Myers area). Our Florida home is worth much more than the BG home, is much nicer, and RE taxes are less than a third as much. We only keep one foot in Illinois due to family - who also are trying to move out of state as well. Just a matter of time. We could shift our residency to FL tomorrow, but there is no point.

So we are not staying put. We have already shifted much of our life to SWFL. We are far more comfortable there than in IL which has gone off the far left deep end in the last 15 years. IL is just an unfortunate place we return to from time to time to due to family. And that may end soon.
Tell your relatives to move already. I've got a buyer lined up for your relatives' house already, will to pay over-ask. Drop me a DM.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:52 AM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
Tell your relatives to move already. I've got a buyer lined up for your relatives' house already, will to pay over-ask. Drop me a DM.

Your comment would be hysterical if it wasn't so pathetic. If the only issue involved in moving out of state was being able to sell a house for a decent profit, they would have been gone long ago.

Many of our relatives have already moved out of IL. Went to Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, and Colorado.

Once the stars line up, the ones left will be outta here too. Selling a house is the least of their concerns.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:06 AM

82 posts, read 95,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Your comment would be hysterical if it wasn't so pathetic. If the only issue involved in moving out of state was being able to sell a house for a decent profit, they would have been gone long ago.

Many of our relatives have already moved out of IL. Went to Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, and Colorado.

Once the stars line up, the ones left will be outta here too. Selling a house is the least of their concerns.
Ya you're right, because all these successful big-city types are so stupid to keep moving their capital here, and your relatives know something they don't.

Not to mention, every house in the metro area is valued above their 2007/08 high.

They can literally get paid to leave, but sure they have bigger concerns, right. Maybe they should be concerned about construction quality in their future paradise.

Ok, go off....

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2022...es-this-march/

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/202...s-73000-homes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois