Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 06:34 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,343,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Idk about Texas, but residency in FL is 6 months and one day a year, so many people come back to IL when it is sweltering- with their FL plates. Homestead exemption in FL means something, so a lot of people get homestead exemption there and may have a condo or small home here too.

That is incorrect regarding Florida residency. The important part is not whether Florida considers you to be a resident. That part is quite easy. The important part is whether Illinois considers you to be a non-resident. Illinois couldn't care less that you filed the paperwork to declare Florida residency. That is all that matters, and it is complicated and not solely based on days present here or there. BTW, you mention the Florida homestead exemption of $50K plus 3% ceiling on increases. Again, anyone can claim that if they register as a resident and have a home there. The important part is that you absolutely must not claim the Illinois homestead exemption at the same time. That is a default to Illinois residency regardless of days and what Florida thinks. And could bring some serious fines and all back taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,388,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
That's why I never understood the boosters down there bragging about how great it is. You see them on the news and hear them on the radio. If they value their slice of heaven, they shouldn't be advertising it for invasion.
Every Facebook feed has that perky plucky person who post things like ""hey you got up now take a step towards your goal!" or "take the day and embrace it like your grandma!" Well I'll be the Illinois City Data Forum version of that and say "you are not unique or special!"

If you think something is good, I guarantee you many many others think the exact same thing. As those slices of heaven grow, many different types, particularly young people, will move to where your money is and vote in the same types of politicians that they voted for here. Ask any longer-term resident of Austin or Nashville about this. You're only going to be able to put this off for so long.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:36 PM

9,876 posts, read 5,540,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
This thread could be 7 years old. Same complaining but never move. Hilarious! Move already.
You must not have noticed but people ARE moving. PA just passed IL to become the 5th-most populous state. You know how? By holding their population steady. That's all they had to do to surpass us while OUR population shrank.

At this rate we can expect to fall to #8 by the 2030 census behind GA and NC, by which time we'll probably have lost another two Congressional seats. And the ones who stay behind will be forced to pick up an increasing share of rapidly growing pension obligations.

Still think it's hilarious?

Old 10-02-2020, 07:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times

Old 10-02-2020, 02:59 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,968,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You must not have noticed but people ARE moving. PA just passed IL to become the 5th-most populous state. You know how? By holding their population steady. That's all they had to do to surpass us while OUR population shrank.

At this rate we can expect to fall to #8 by the 2030 census behind GA and NC, by which time we'll probably have lost another two Congressional seats. And the ones who stay behind will be forced to pick up an increasing share of rapidly growing pension obligations.

Still think it's hilarious?
Illinois reminds me a bit of Apple. Each year they sell less and less iPhones (something they won't openly publicize, but you can find the data if you do enough research).

In order to maintain/grow their revenues how do they make up for lost sales? By increasing the cost of each years new iPhone. Not a sustainable business plan if you ask me.

Sort of like Illinois and taxes.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:18 AM

472 posts, read 241,849 times
It's not just people from Illinois that are fed up. Look at other heavy populous and democratic states such as New York and California. Many wealthy residents from these states are leaving and moving to tax friendly states such as Florida. I live in Nevada and we have had a LOT of Californians moving here, and they have been bringing their ideologies here with them. When I first moved here in 1999 (from Illinois - because I saw what was becoming of Illinois back then) we were pretty much a 'red' state. Not so much anymore. It's been rumored that our governor Sisolak is wanting to implement a state income tax here, but that will need to be voted upon for approval into the state constitution. We can only hope that people voice their concerns where it counts ... at the polls this year!!!

Old 10-04-2020, 06:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 609,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I left 11 years ago, no regrets.............my brother just left... went to wisconsin......
. Wisconsin has higher income tax than Illinois. Sales tax is lower. Property tax is variable because both states have high property tax. It will depend on the municipality.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:48 PM

77 posts, read 61,748 times
I'm moving to Arizona as soon as the covid nonsense settles down. Property taxes in Illinois are an absolute joke at $10k a year for a modest house. That's a $100k dotation every 10 years to the crooks in charge, if not more, seeing how they always go up, never down.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:14 AM

69 posts, read 54,339 times
Just came back from Austin, was considering moving there...first thing I saw at the underpass into the city was a whole community of Homeless folk and their tents. Next, half finished buildings, garbage and roads that make no sense. No offense but the chaos was unbearable. I gave it 5 days and couldn’t wait to come back.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:29 AM

9,876 posts, read 5,540,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
. Wisconsin has higher income tax than Illinois. Sales tax is lower. Property tax is variable because both states have high property tax. It will depend on the municipality.
Generally their property taxes are lower as a percentage of property value, there's a statutory limit on how quickly property taxes can rise, their gasoline tax is lower, there isn't a toll booth in sight, and most importantly, their public sector pension fund is at least 98% funded so overall they have their fiscal house in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois