Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 06:45 PM

226 posts, read 148,036 times

Advertisements

Is taxes really the only reason people are so upset with illinois? Lets pretend taxes where cut in half would you then stay in illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 07:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
It's not just the taxes but the corrupt, incompetent, overbearing leadership by the Dems here that reduces the quality of life.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:25 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Too many philosophically-opposite-to-me folks in Cook County for me to want to stay here (BLM supporters, looters, shooters, gun-grabbers, Kim Foxx supporters, and cop-haters, if you want examples). In other words, "Democrats".

I know, I know, "Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya". I'm working on it, promise.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:21 PM

226 posts, read 148,036 times
well after lots of research i felt I found the perfect place reno and lake tahoe would replace lake michigan but I cant do it because the houses are to expensive and there is a housing shortage. The taxes were making me want to move but I really love chicago in the summer. Its a great city.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
Is taxes really the only reason people are so upset with illinois? Lets pretend taxes where cut in half would you then stay in illinois?
Would be a massive improvement. Also getting rid of all the SJWs that are destroying chicago would help immensely .

Old 09-19-2020, 11:19 PM

85 posts, read 94,900 times
I grew up in Wisconsin. Back then Wisconsin's tax burden was higher than Illinois. Property tax was reverse (Illinois 1/2 that of Wisconsin) also, 3% flat tax. BTW - Flat Tax is "Fair Tax". Everyone pays the same.

Fast forward... Now a home valued at $425k pays property tax of $14K per YEAR. Income is taxed at 5%.

This is somehow NOT ENOUGH!!! Now our big fat Pig of a Governor is self funding advertisements touting how changing the State Constitution to allow a "Progressive" tax system will "help Illinois".

I'm sorry, but we are already #1 in taxation. You think even HIGHER taxes will fix things? I find it unbelievable that anyone who actually works for a living in Illinois would be for additional taxation. Yes. If you are on the DOLE, I can see voting yourself another "raise". But productive people ARE leaving the State. It must be NICE to be a State worker in Illinois. That much I hope everyone can agree. But remember. They work for us. This is not India where the most desirable job is working for the government. Sad.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:17 AM

148 posts, read 122,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
Inferior services, low economic opportunity, underperforming schools, the weather for some, crime, low freedom
I mean you could almost write a New York Times best seller titled*Reasons to leave Illinois*

Old 09-22-2020, 09:37 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
My thoughts are this... I don't mind paying higher taxes if that means I get better services. But in the case of Illinois and especially Chicago, I'm not getting better services than I would get elsewhere.

CTA has no security and there are regularly sketchy people on the trains selling things illegally. Compare this to the lightrail systems in other cities like Minneapolis where there is almost always a fare inspector coming through. The roads are awful and filled with potholes. Bridges and viaducts are rusting and look like they are just a few hours away from collapsing. CPS teachers are some of the highest paid in the country, yet student performance is much lower than most of America. And the weather in Illinois is terrible for at least half the year.

I previously lived in Texas and it was very obvious to see how my tax dollars were being used to benefit the entire city and state, but the same can't be said about Chicago and Illinois.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:48 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My thoughts are this... I don't mind paying higher taxes if that means I get better services. But in the case of Illinois and especially Chicago, I'm not getting better services than I would get elsewhere.

CTA has no security and there are regularly sketchy people on the trains selling things illegally. Compare this to the lightrail systems in other cities like Minneapolis where there is almost always a fare inspector coming through. The roads are awful and filled with potholes. Bridges and viaducts are rusting and look like they are just a few hours away from collapsing. CPS teachers are some of the highest paid in the country, yet student performance is much lower than most of America. And the weather in Illinois is terrible for at least half the year.

I previously lived in Texas and it was very obvious to see how my tax dollars were being used to benefit the entire city and state, but the same can't be said about Chicago and Illinois.
You have it spot on. I left Chicago after 25 years and moved to Texas in 2014. Every time I return to Illinois I have this imaginary fantasy in my head that I might move back and can still smell the good ol days of living in Illinois.

That dream is always crushed once I return . Family seems to progressively get more depressed. The roads, and bridges look more ran down than the last time. Another friend flees to another state.

Last but not least..... NOTHING CHANGES besides the taxes! It only gets worst!! I seen it all when my favorite burrito joint had slot machines in the front....What a joke

Old 09-22-2020, 09:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

New communities outside of Dallas or Houston are nice, sure, but many of areas of Texas are among the most underdeveloped in the entire county. There are literally hundreds of communities along the Mexican border where residents lack basic services like drinking water.

Think schools in Chicago are bad? Try rural Texas. These sunbelt states do a good job at marketing, but there are some very serious unaddressed issues outside of the shiny new areas filled with transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois