Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 06:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonhE View Post
Illinois has a SPENDING problem, not a tax revenue problem..
This should be painted on all the "Welcome to Illinois" signs on the highway

Never ONCE in the decades we lived there, was CUTTING SPENDING ever uttered out of a Democrats mouth..

Old 09-26-2020, 10:46 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
I'm voting "No" on Pritzker's "fair tax" this November. The reason is, although I'm not fundamentally opposed to a graduated tax rate (the Federal Tax code has several different brackets currently depending on one's filing status), Illinois has such a poor record concerning its taxes, I won't give them any more power than they have currently. If they would have said they intended to simply adopt ALL the different taxes in a proven state (IL Dems typically hold up Minnesota as a beacon of prosperity), I'd be open to that. But that would mean adopting MN's much lower sales tax and real estate taxes as well as its graduated income tax rates and brackets.

Thy hypocritical barstards can open up the constitution for graduated tax, but not for a pension amendment? F them. Illinois is broken, but these dunderheads don't want to "fix" it, they only want to break it into smaller and smaller pieces. No thanks.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
If you live in Illinois and vote left . You are part of the problem . You need to stay put and eat the misery that has been created over the past 70 years . Prtizker has a plan to get that progressive tax passed . Once that goes ... good luck

Old 09-28-2020, 06:21 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
Just pack the U-Haul. We are out of here. House is going up for sale October 1st.
Almost all other states have a progressive tax. Reading these posts on here is almost laughable. Are you are billionaire that is going to be affected? Ken Griffin and other big wigs are the ones who are funding this opposition. So tired of Illlnois voters with their uniformed opinions. As for those who want to leave because they are taxing the highest 3%, now is the time to leave. Multiple offers on my mother in laws house in 3 days. Good luck to where you are going, I think I will stay in this great city and state.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Im interested in all of those that are leaving Illinois for other states. Is real estate holding up? Are you able to sell your homes in a reasonable amount of time? If so, who is buying these homes? Are there more people coming into Illinois, or is it just people from Illinois buying more upscale homes. Or is real estate tanking?

Old 09-28-2020, 08:05 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Im interested in all of those that are leaving Illinois for other states. Is real estate holding up? Are you able to sell your homes in a reasonable amount of time? If so, who is buying these homes? Are there more people coming into Illinois, or is it just people from Illinois buying more upscale homes. Or is real estate tanking?
The way to answer your question is to do some homework yourself. Home sales are through the roof. My mother in laws house in Orland Park sold above list with multiple offers for a price we never thought we could get. Middle class. In three days. In Hinsdale where I live, there is a house that just sold within hours of being listed, at $4M. Real estate tanking? Do you homework, its all in research.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 AM

85 posts, read 94,921 times
Sorry @Justabystander. Your username is appropriate. There are a lot of bystander voters in Illinois.

There are not enough "high income" residents to cover the hundreds of $BILLIONS this state owes. The lt governor stated that they would need to raise income taxes by 20%. If true, Pritzkers sales pitch to the voters is already a bunch of BS. Most of the income tax comes from people earning between $50k - $150k. His progressive brackets WILL NEED to move down into this area. People with money are much more mobile. Assume the "rich" tax payer has a $700k home. That is $25k per year in property tax + $18k income = Straw that broke the camels back. Combined, that is $3800 per month they can basically live for free in many other states. It is the REST OF US, the middle that WILL pay SIGNIFICANTLY more income tax.

I have stated in other postings. I imagine if a person or his/her spouse worked for one of the many unions, they would be for the progressive tax.

It is pandoras box for sure.

Real estate finally selling in Illinois doesn't have anything to do with this proposed amendment. It hopefully lasts a while longer. I am putting my rental home up for sale. I will be happy to be able to sell it for what I paid for it. I bought it after the 2008-2009 real estate bubble / crash.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:40 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Almost all other states have a progressive tax.
And most other states use it to charge more to the middle-class. In fact, in many states, unless you are earning poverty wages you are paying at or near the top tax rate.

I have zero faith that the Dems will only use it on the rich. They lie about everything else. Even if they use it to soak the rich, the rich are leaving. I was up in Barrington Hills on Saturday and there are tons of mansions on the market that the owners are having trouble selling.

Eventually when the Dems run out of rich people and businesses to parasitize they will go for the middle class and even that will not save them. It is impossible to extract enough money to support their exorbitant, corrupt, and self-serving spending. Until they tackle major spending reforms (right after h#ll freezes over) they will just keep inflicting pain on the working and middle class and failing them in favor of cronies. As I said, "party of the working people" lol.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:51 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The way to answer your question is to do some homework yourself. Home sales are through the roof. My mother in laws house in Orland Park sold above list with multiple offers for a price we never thought we could get. Middle class. In three days. In Hinsdale where I live, there is a house that just sold within hours of being listed, at $4M. Real estate tanking? Do you homework, its all in research.
Those are just the people leaving downtown chicago and moving to the suburbs..... Once that is over... real estate market will be back in the Slump

Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,188,839 times
If only I could figure out a way to pay no income taxes like our current president. I’m sure JB found the same loopholes. Either way, the rich win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois