Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2022, 09:08 AM
 
77,581 posts, read 59,656,056 times
Reputation: 48992

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
When I lived in Kansas City, I frequently drove across Illinois to visit family in Indiana. One thing I will say about “downstate” Illinois, having taken multiple routes (I-80, I-70, I-55, I-74, and even some back roads) is that the roads are overall very well maintained and the small towns also seem very well taken-care of for the most part. I haven’t been to some of the far southern areas but most areas did have a nicer feel to them, unlike most areas in Indiana, Missouri, and even some areas in Iowa. Of course, this was just the areas I drove through as well.

I’d like to think that the people of Illinois are at least getting something for the higher taxes.
How long ago was that?

The state has huge economic problems (They have the lowest bond rating of 50 states) and as such has reduced the monies it sends down to the localities so they've had to boost property taxes to cover those shortages.

Not dragging on Illinois, most of my family lives there and I lived there for 30 years so results vary wildly.

They recently increased their gas taxes by a large amount so whether that actually improves roads etc. or gets gobbled up by the unfunded pension liabilities will be interesting to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2022, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
4,805 posts, read 6,805,268 times
Reputation: 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How long ago was that?

The state has huge economic problems (They have the lowest bond rating of 50 states) and as such has reduced the monies it sends down to the localities so they've had to boost property taxes to cover those shortages.

Not dragging on Illinois, most of my family lives there and I lived there for 30 years so results vary wildly.

They recently increased their gas taxes by a large amount so whether that actually improves roads etc. or gets gobbled up by the unfunded pension liabilities will be interesting to see.
I think (and I think you do too) that the bolded is a given. They're in such a hole now any new monies are looked upon as some kind of lifeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2022, 02:21 PM
 
Location: A Place With REAL People
3,260 posts, read 6,707,295 times
Reputation: 5104
I know I get beaten up on a regular basis for some of the posts in the past I've submitted that while they were reality, they simply were looked upon as "Illinois Bashing". Listen, I lived there for the first 25 years of my life. And back then it was a pretty decent place to live. To say it is so much as a glimmer of what it was back then (we're talking about the mid to late 70's) would be not only a lie it would be a misrepresentation.

I'm not even saying that it's not possible for anyone alive to enjoy let alone tolerate the State at this point in time. The level of corruption in the State is legendary at this point, and not something anyone would have any sensibility to argue. Can you live or exist with it? It is indeed an individual matter of choice. I simply don't see how nor why a human being with good intelligence would choose to do so ignoring all that faces the place at this time and trying to live with it. Absurdly high taxes, crazy traffic issues, crime at levels nobody would feel terribly comfortable with. How does one ignore all of this and more? It is to me one of the great mysteries I'll never grasp. I was always brought up to understand that if something wasn't right, change it. If you can't change it, then find a way to live with it. I'm thinking those that choose to live there are the latter. But I have to say, with limited time for a person to be alive in this world, it sure makes a lot more sense to ME to do the former. And I did. Glad I did that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2022, 04:16 PM
 
4,128 posts, read 3,853,025 times
Reputation: 10839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I know I get beaten up on a regular basis for some of the posts in the past I've submitted that while they were reality, they simply were looked upon as "Illinois Bashing". Listen, I lived there for the first 25 years of my life. And back then it was a pretty decent place to live. To say it is so much as a glimmer of what it was back then (we're talking about the mid to late 70's) would be not only a lie it would be a misrepresentation.

I'm not even saying that it's not possible for anyone alive to enjoy let alone tolerate the State at this point in time. The level of corruption in the State is legendary at this point, and not something anyone would have any sensibility to argue. Can you live or exist with it? It is indeed an individual matter of choice. I simply don't see how nor why a human being with good intelligence would choose to do so ignoring all that faces the place at this time and trying to live with it. Absurdly high taxes, crazy traffic issues, crime at levels nobody would feel terribly comfortable with. How does one ignore all of this and more? It is to me one of the great mysteries I'll never grasp. I was always brought up to understand that if something wasn't right, change it. If you can't change it, then find a way to live with it. I'm thinking those that choose to live there are the latter. But I have to say, with limited time for a person to be alive in this world, it sure makes a lot more sense to ME to do the former. And I did. Glad I did that's for sure.
Apparently, the remaining people that live in Illinois me included must have very low intelligence and just don't get it. I wish I could be as smart as you and find a place with real people, no crime, no traffic, and no taxes. If I do find such a place, I guarantee I won't spend my time posting on a state forum where I no longer live. I will be too busy enjoying paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2022, 04:55 PM
 
4,821 posts, read 2,926,149 times
Reputation: 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Absurdly high taxes, crazy traffic issues, crime at levels nobody would feel terribly comfortable with. How does one ignore all of this and more?

I agree with all of your posting, however; there are places in this state where these problems don't really exist.
I just looked at a home today, corner lot; 20 miles away from the urban nightmare surrounding Chicago; in a small town.
Annual tax=$3,500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2022, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Chi 'burbs=>Tucson=>Naperville=>Chicago
2,169 posts, read 1,789,227 times
Reputation: 2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pythonis, I think that it's VERY important to point out to you that both liberal and conservative comes in a much wider range of flavors than people like to cast as reality.

Even in highly R or D areas it's still 40% of the lesser which is a lot.

Secondly, there are a lot of R's that don't like Trump etc. and a lot of D's that don't want to abolish police forces entirely.
I personally think you'll find Illinois rural repubs to be far less polarized than southern repubs kinda like comparing CA democrats to the ones you find in the Chicago burbs is a completely different animal.

Clearly you need a place with gig work, but don't want a huge city and a lower cost area so frankly the big University towns make the most sense.
Some of this is right but some is not.

There are a lot of high R or high D areas that are like 80/20 or even almost 90/10. Just look at a county map of the 2016 or 2020 election results.

I do agree that Ds in suburban Chicago are very different from Ds in California. That is bang on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2022, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,204 posts, read 3,448,353 times
Reputation: 4229
The divide between Republicans living in suburban Chicago and those living downstate is profound and cannot be understated. Wedge issues are particularly divisive within the Illinois Republican electorate. Unfortunately, the grip that the much more moderate Chicagoans had on the Illinois GOP seems to have slipped. The Illinois GOP slate in 2022 has to be the weakest in the party's history. Most of the candidates, Darren Bailey in particular, are ridiculously out of step with the more moderate voters Republicans need to court to win statewide. Republicans are actually typically pretty competitive in Illinois in midterm elections. However, I think that they will face a well-deserved drubbing this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2022, 05:56 PM
 
Location: A Place With REAL People
3,260 posts, read 6,707,295 times
Reputation: 5104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The divide between Republicans living in suburban Chicago and those living downstate is profound and cannot be understated. Wedge issues are particularly divisive within the Illinois Republican electorate. Unfortunately, the grip that the much more moderate Chicagoans had on the Illinois GOP seems to have slipped. The Illinois GOP slate in 2022 has to be the weakest in the party's history. Most of the candidates, Darren Bailey in particular, are ridiculously out of step with the more moderate voters Republicans need to court to win statewide. Republicans are actually typically pretty competitive in Illinois in midterm elections. However, I think that they will face a well-deserved drubbing this year.
Which is exactly why Illinois will continue to be on the course it's been for years now and continue to strangle it's constituents bank accounts. Oh well. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2022, 05:49 AM
 
4,128 posts, read 3,853,025 times
Reputation: 10839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Which is exactly why Illinois will continue to be on the course it's been for years now and continue to strangle it's constituents bank accounts. Oh well. Enjoy
We are so happy you found paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2022, 11:30 AM
 
77,581 posts, read 59,656,056 times
Reputation: 48992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Some of this is right but some is not.

There are a lot of high R or high D areas that are like 80/20 or even almost 90/10. Just look at a county map of the 2016 or 2020 election results.

I do agree that Ds in suburban Chicago are very different from Ds in California. That is bang on.
My point wasn't that there aren't areas that go as skewed as 90/10 (or more) but rather that people like the OP will point to a 60/40 split as being an R or D area and then balking that "they couldn't live there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top