Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 02:02 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times

Advertisements

Married couple, middle age, no kids. I do gig work (lyft, doordash, etc), spouse is mainly a work from home type due to injuries and allergies. We are democrats and have multiple animals. We are coming from Tennessee and would like to find a house that is big enough for our needs in a town that is decently safe. Not everyone is paranoid and walks around with a gun, safe but everyone is a nice person who has no desire to be an ass type safe.
We are obviously on a budget but we just have to getfo of TN. Right now we are in a 3/2 with a fenced in yard and 1 car garage for $800.
Any ideas? Chicago is a big no, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 09:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Illinois is very conservative outside of the Chicagoland area and the Champaign-Urbana area, so I'm not sure what you would be gaining by moving from TN to IL. You probably already know this, but most parts of Illinois are losing population and for good reason. It's a boring state with high taxes. At least Tennessee has nice nature and a low cost of living.

If you are looking for a low cost, safe state where people won't bother you for being a Democrat, look into Iowa or Wisconsin. These states still tend to be more conservative, but they aren't Bible Belt Tennessee conservative.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:44 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Illinois is very conservative outside of the Chicagoland area and the Champaign-Urbana area, so I'm not sure what you would be gaining by moving from TN to IL. You probably already know this, but most parts of Illinois are losing population and for good reason. It's a boring state with high taxes. At least Tennessee has nice nature and a low cost of living.

If you are looking for a low cost, safe state where people won't bother you for being a Democrat, look into Iowa or Wisconsin. These states still tend to be more conservative, but they aren't Bible Belt Tennessee conservative.
It's more liberal than Tennessee. Far as I'm concerned they're losing population because the conservatives are moving away which is a positive. We don't bother with what nature looks like, we'd pay more to get away from house after house of Trump flags, and I'm not worried about taxes.
I'm not here to be talked out of moving there, I'm here to look at best cities in the state to live if you're a progressive leftist.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:10 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Married couple, middle age, no kids. I do gig work (lyft, doordash, etc), spouse is mainly a work from home type due to injuries and allergies. We are democrats and have multiple animals. We are coming from Tennessee and would like to find a house that is big enough for our needs in a town that is decently safe. Not everyone is paranoid and walks around with a gun, safe but everyone is a nice person who has no desire to be an ass type safe.
We are obviously on a budget but we just have to getfo of TN. Right now we are in a 3/2 with a fenced in yard and 1 car garage for $800.
Any ideas? Chicago is a big no, BTW.
Maybe a town near Champaign-Urbana? Decent gig opportunities due to the university. I think it is relatively safe although I heard crime has been increasing lately.

But I am also thinking Wisconsin might be a better fit; La Crosse, WI might be an area to consider.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:41 AM

25 posts, read 36,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Maybe a town near Champaign-Urbana? Decent gig opportunities due to the university. I think it is relatively safe although I heard crime has been increasing lately.

But I am also thinking Wisconsin might be a better fit; La Crosse, WI might be an area to consider.
I don't think any of the towns around C-U are that liberal. I don't really think C-U is that liberal compared to the US as a whole. Chicago is much more liberal than Champaign County by a fairly large margin looking at voting results. Champaign has University of Illinois and the students and professors have traditionally voted Democrat skewing the numbers most elections. Over 50% of students that attend U of I are from Chicago area.

I don't feel crime is that big of an issue in Champaign although 2021 did see a record amount of homicides (16) in Champaign. Most years it's only 5-10 in a city of roughly 90,000, which is pretty low.

With that being said, C-U is about the only metro area growing in Illinois right now. In twenty years, Champaign very well could be the largest city in central Illinois as Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield and Decatur are all loosing population. Some more rapidly than others.

Champaign County has plenty of Trump flags too even if you go a few miles from U of I campus. However, I'm guessing not as many as TN has. The best suburbs of C-U are Mahomet, Savoy and St. Joseph. However, all are pretty conservative but might be viewed as more liberal coming from TN. I'm not sure that $800 would get you much in those towns.

You might want to look at Joliet or Rockford areas. I would think they would be more liberal minded than Champaign County.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:41 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
Galena Illinois is a historic, touristy town that has seen a recent surge of people moving in since the pandemic. Many are escaping the Chicago area and are drawn by the rolling hills, the Mississippi river nearby, and low crime. Politically, I would call it fairly neutral with nothing overbearing.

The job situation is mostly tourism employment but Dubuque Iowa 20 minutes away has opportunities. Dubuque is also worth considering moving to as Iowa is in good shape fiscally. The cost of living like everywhere else has gone up and housing is a bit overpriced relative to wages.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:45 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
It's more liberal than Tennessee. Far as I'm concerned they're losing population because the conservatives are moving away which is a positive. We don't bother with what nature looks like, we'd pay more to get away from house after house of Trump flags, and I'm not worried about taxes.
I'm not here to be talked out of moving there, I'm here to look at best cities in the state to live if you're a progressive leftist.
It's really not more liberal than Tennessee, outside of Chicagoland. Just look at this map: https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/re...state/illinois and see for yourself. Some of the counties down state had over 80% of people vote for Trump. If you are looking for a place that's more liberal, downstate Illinois isn't the place for you. There are tons of Trump flags, gun stores, and other signs of conservatism. I'd recommend making a drive up and see for yourself.

People are leaving downstate Illinois because the job market is horrible, taxes are high, and Illinois is a rather dysfunctional state.

You said you do gig work like Uber and DoorDash. That will be challenging work unless you are in Champaign, Rockford, or Chicago area.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:02 PM

663 posts, read 305,715 times
OP...if those trying to change your mind cause they have baggage leaving Chicagoland and IL. They cannot be too happy in their new choice. If they were? They would fully have moved forward and boast for thier new Texas region vs diss their former.... think about it.

Hope you do not get that way in a move. There can always be moving home too. Irony is telling someone stay in a better topography state and they chose another flat region for themselves...

Most Southern and conservative is southern IL. Always was from earliest statehood era. Northern IL less. Rural far more then larger urban areas. All states similar in that. Northern IL was originally part of WI territory including Chicagoland before a city.

College cities more uber usage maybe and less far right.

I retired to my home state of PA and county. In the mountains and far more conservative. Does not matter if IN, OH or PA or IL. To a large degree a TX too. I see less Trump signs now though and Confederate ones that they want it more to just say I am a redneck....

Cities less Conservative and rural areas moreso. Good luck in any choice. The political divide only gets worse. One must adjust and keep oneself from extremism.

Most rural of any state will be the cheapest. Nothing new in that or that states differ in that. Having many pets can be best more rural also.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
I’d need to know more of what your interests or needs are to be able to give you an answer. Illinois is a huge state. Although you mention Chicago is a no, Chicagoland (the surrounding suburbs) are huge. You could be somewhere in Lake or DuPage county and technically be in “Chicagoland,” but be over an hour away from the city and feel like you are in a completely different area of the state. Lake County is very safe, beautiful nature, and beautiful suburbs, with nice quaint downtowns. Although many of the suburbs are going to be on the more expensive side.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:45 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
$800 per month is like a trailer or a studio apartment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois