Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 01:45 PM

16 posts, read 27,859 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an area with good schools, low crime and potentially somewhat liberal leaning. I hear that Edwardsville is more liberal because of SIUE, but the voting record makes it look like O'fallon leans a little more left. I'm coming from uber conservative Texas, so bear in mind I'm not asking for something like San Francisco. Beyond that, I just want good schools and would love an area that I could build something in (either new construction or custom lots available.) Any ideas? My budget is up to $900k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 08:11 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
I never based any of my moves on the political climate.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
I never based any of my moves on the political climate.
what's the point of sharing this? This isn't helpful or informative....

Old 07-31-2022, 06:03 PM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Edwardsville / Glen Carbon, no question. 900k is far more than needed. It might even be enough to build atop the hills, with a view of the valley.

Most of Metro East is a politically purple fyi. Neither political party is particularly dominant at the moment.

I noticed you posted this in other forums. Any information you'd like to add?

Old 08-03-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post

I noticed you posted this in other forums. Any information you'd like to add?
There are a set number of states with laws in place that protect trans individuals and most of them are coastal or in the northeast. Illinois is one of the few that isn't INSANELY far away from where I currently live outside of Dallas, Texas. It is also one of the few that is not a huge increase in COL. the Chicagoland area makes the most sense from a political standpoint, but we really, really hate snow. like really. it's one of the reasons we moved to Texas in the first place. I would love to find another area in Illinois that would be a viable option. The Metro East (the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis) seems like it might be a fit.

I post also in the Washington, Oregon and Virginia forums because those are all states on my list still. Virginia seems risky with their new governor despite having previously been a "safe" state for trans people. Washington and Oregon are just REALLY far and have a high COL compared to where we're coming from.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:02 PM

33 posts, read 43,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcl View Post
I'm looking for an area with good schools, low crime and potentially somewhat liberal leaning. I hear that Edwardsville is more liberal because of SIUE, but the voting record makes it look like O'fallon leans a little more left. I'm coming from uber conservative Texas, so bear in mind I'm not asking for something like San Francisco. Beyond that, I just want good schools and would love an area that I could build something in (either new construction or custom lots available.) Any ideas? My budget is up to $900k.
I wouldn't recommend O'fallon or Edwardville but, I would recommend Columbia! Named the #6 best suburb to buy a house in Illinois and one of the best places to live in the state, this suburb is around 12 miles from downtown St. Louis. This picturescpe town is often overlooked because it is not in St. Clair County. Its county is actually Monore County, with a population of only 34,000, this area houses quint towns and villages. Columbia has a vibrant downtown and a good public school system. It also contains a major retail center for your needs. Alot of new-developments are being made in this town so new-contruction is pretty common here. Unfortunaly, residents tend to be conservative leaning but luckily alot of residents are liberal aswell. If your looking for diversity, this is not the place to be (97.42% White Non-Hispanic, 1.88% Asian, 0.558% White Hispanic, 0.3% Black, Two or more races 0.93%). Residents in this area also tend to be upper-class, bringing home more than $100,000 a year. With 900k, you could live in a nice house; just don't expect to live like a millionare, the taxes are enough to make a grown man cry. Overall, low-crime, great schools, a vibrant downtown, and a nice shopping center make this town one of the best (if not the best) town to live in the Metro East. Theres definitely more to do than Glen Carbon too lol.

Here is an image:

Old 09-01-2022, 07:06 PM

33 posts, read 43,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxValleyTrotter View Post
I wouldn't recommend O'fallon or Edwardville but, I would recommend Columbia! Named the #6 best suburb to buy a house in Illinois and one of the best places to live in the state, this suburb is around 12 miles from downtown St. Louis. This picturescpe town is often overlooked because it is not in St. Clair County. Its county is actually Monore County, with a population of only 34,000, this area houses quint towns and villages. Columbia has a vibrant downtown and a good public school system. It also contains a major retail center for your needs. Alot of new-developments are being made in this town so new-contruction is pretty common here. Unfortunaly, residents tend to be conservative leaning but luckily alot of residents are liberal aswell. If your looking for diversity, this is not the place to be (97.42% White Non-Hispanic, 1.88% Asian, 0.558% White Hispanic, 0.3% Black, Two or more races 0.93%). Residents in this area also tend to be upper-class, bringing home more than $100,000 a year. With 900k, you could live in a nice house; just don't expect to live like a millionare, the taxes are enough to make a grown man cry. Overall, low-crime, great schools, a vibrant downtown, and a nice shopping center make this town one of the best (if not the best) town to live in the Metro East. Theres definitely more to do than Glen Carbon too lol.

Here is an image:
Edwardsville is also VERY similar to Columbia too but just more diverse and liberal.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:38 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxValleyTrotter View Post
Edwardsville is also VERY similar to Columbia too but just more diverse and liberal.
Would Waterloo be a good fit if you're looking into Columbia?

Old 09-02-2022, 03:22 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
In Illinois I'd look at Champaign or a Chicago suburb. $900K will get you a very nice house in Champaign and an OK one in most areas of Chicago. Property taxes are high in Champaign area, less in some parts of Chicago.

Anywhere other than those areas might not be very trans friendly. Everywhere in Illinois gets snow and is cold in winter. St. Louis can be just as bad or worse than Chicago. Chicago summers are generally cooler than Southern IL.

I lived in Champaign, IL most of my life, spent lots of time in both Chicago and St. Louis. I hated the weather, winter (cold and snow), summer (hot and humid) and spring (cloudy and rain). Fall is the only decent season. I left IL many years ago.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:12 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,493 times
I'd consider Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, or Alton. Belleville has its decent spots, but it's seen as a generally rougher area and I personally would avoid it. If you're looking for another option, Alton might be a good fit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois