Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 10:08 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times

Advertisements

What is Springfield like? Is it worth a visit, for more than to look at another state capitol building?

Where does it rank among relatively-small state-capital cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 07:32 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
The draw are the Lincoln historical sites which, if you're a Lincoln or history buff, would be worth a visit. All capitols have something of interest but I do find ours a bit dull in comparison to some others.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:53 AM

212 posts, read 230,258 times
Ya it’s not much but it’s a tier or two above Jefferson City, MO. The history is great but other than that it’s not particularly unique, like Madison WI is

Old 08-24-2022, 10:41 PM

685 posts, read 766,977 times
It's worth a pitstop if you're driving across the state.

- If you're into history, Springfield has the Lincoln Presidential Library and various other Lincoln sites. It also has several Rt 66 stops (e.g. Cozy Dog Diner, Drive In Theater, etc).

- Washington Park Botanical is nice to walk through, particularly in the Spring and Fall.

- Scheels is a good shopping stop, if you're an outdoorsman or into sports. And it is adjacent to Engrained Brewing.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:27 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What is Springfield like? Is it worth a visit, for more than to look at another state capitol building?

For Lincoln history buffs Springfield is worth a visit.

Lincoln lived there 24 years. Visit the only house he ever owned, maintained to 1860 neighborhood experience.

Fairly new Lincoln library & museum downtown. Museum depicts life in 1860 Washington & his Presidency.

Nearby is Lincoln's tomb

Also nearby is New Salem which is an 1840 village.

Springfield is on mainline Amtrak Chicago to St Louis Midwest Service trains & 2 a day Texas Eagle.

I-55, I-72 takes you there if driving.

Beyond that not much shopping, dining.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:54 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
There are definitely things to do, but a weekend is probably more than enough. Some decent restaurants and a lot of new breweries. If you go, it's also worth the time to go to New Salem in nearby Petersburg, especially if it's the Fall: https://www.lincolnsnewsalem.com/

Old 08-31-2022, 09:58 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times
Quote:
What is Springfield like?
It's kinda dumb.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:49 PM

33 posts, read 43,796 times
Quote:

Springfield is a nice place for history fans and such. Other than that, there isn't really much to do there; it feels like a large suburb rather than an actual city. There also isn't much nightlife here and the crime is a little high. It feels a tier below Jefferson, MO.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:35 PM

299 posts, read 556,746 times
I used to visit Springfield, IL regularly, growing up. My grandparents lived there. I went back once with some college buddies to see a band play one weekend. But hadn't really been back in at least 25 years since then, until last year.

My impression is that there is probably some stuff to do along Lake Springfield (a man-made lake that's grown in size considerably over time). I know it has a Mexican restaurant there and a marina with things like boat rentals.

Scheels seems like a decent shopping destination in Springfield too, and it has a Tesla supercharger station in its parking lot.

I was struck by how small the city felt though, driving around there. Honestly, one whole section of it just looked pretty run-down with a lot of row homes near your typical liquor stores and so on. (As a kid, my grandparent's neighborhood just seemed so much bigger as we'd take walks around the block there. Their neighborhood had nice sidewalks and I guess was in the "better" part of town.)

For its size, I was actually a little bit impressed they seemed to have as many of your typical chain restaurants and stores as they did. I mean, nobody's going to make a trip to Springfield just because there's an Olive Garden or an Applebee's there -- but they've got 'em.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
OP, its cool to visit and see all the historical sites. I was last there maybe a year ago, I personally feel Springfield is a bit dull and flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois