Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2022, 02:45 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times

Advertisements

So I filed an appeal for my property taxes through the assessor, the board of equalization and then the PTAB (Property Tax Appeals board). I had a VERY strong case, lots of support and I knew it. This was filed for 2019. It took 3 years to work it's way through the system. I knew I had a strong case and won a large reduction from the Board of Review for 2020.

So in May, the PTAB and I agreed on a number which was pretty much the number I wanted in the first place. I waited for my refund. Every few weeks, I checked to see if the Treasurer had issued my refund yet. I made sure they had my correct address. They told me the check would go out by the end of July. End of July came and no check. So I called. Oh, now it's the end of July. Oh, ok. No check. I call again. Now it's the end of August. The check is ready, it just hasn't been issued. The website shows "no refund due' on the treasurer site. But the PTAB shows my results as I am won my case.

Call again today. Ma'am, you have to file an application for a refund. No, I don't. It says on your site after 2017, you don't have to. Lady tells me she sees the check to be issued. It will be in a few weeks, same thing they told me before.

I have confirmed my address change no less than 3 times, twice by phone and once by email. She tells me my old address. But wait, let me check the records. Oh, yes, we have your new address.

Is Cook County just stalling so they don't have to part with any money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 04:29 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So I filed an appeal for my property taxes through the assessor, the board of equalization and then the PTAB (Property Tax Appeals board). I had a VERY strong case, lots of support and I knew it. This was filed for 2019. It took 3 years to work it's way through the system. I knew I had a strong case and won a large reduction from the Board of Review for 2020.

So in May, the PTAB and I agreed on a number which was pretty much the number I wanted in the first place. I waited for my refund. Every few weeks, I checked to see if the Treasurer had issued my refund yet. I made sure they had my correct address. They told me the check would go out by the end of July. End of July came and no check. So I called. Oh, now it's the end of July. Oh, ok. No check. I call again. Now it's the end of August. The check is ready, it just hasn't been issued. The website shows "no refund due' on the treasurer site. But the PTAB shows my results as I am won my case.

Call again today. Ma'am, you have to file an application for a refund. No, I don't. It says on your site after 2017, you don't have to. Lady tells me she sees the check to be issued. It will be in a few weeks, same thing they told me before.

I have confirmed my address change no less than 3 times, twice by phone and once by email. She tells me my old address. But wait, let me check the records. Oh, yes, we have your new address.

Is Cook County just stalling so they don't have to part with any money?
You must have looked up your party affiliation.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:37 AM

So, it was supposed to go out by Aug 31, then Sept 30. It was 'processed' on Oct 3rd and I should 'allow 3-5 weeks' for delivery. I told them no less than 4 times NOT to send the check to my old address. Oh, yes, yes, We have the new address, Ma'am.

5 weeks. Call them up. Oh, sorry, it went to the OLD address. Why? I told you and I wrote an email to you....blah, blah, PTAB, blah, blah. Now what?

They will email me an affidavit attesting that I didn't get it RIGHT away. After that, it should be 'a couple of weeks'.

Right. Cook County doesn't want to part with the money.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
I appeal mine frequently, but I don't get a refund, only lower taxes the following year. I'm in Kane county though.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:39 PM

So I finally got the affidavit. Guess what? It was filled out with my OLD address. You can't make up this level of incompetence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois