Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times

Advertisements

I got to reading this thread, and realized something....I moved from Illinois where everybody thinks only Chicago exists, to Orlando where everybody thinks only Mickey Mouse exists.......one of these days I might get it right....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
I got to reading this thread, and realized something....I moved from Illinois where everybody thinks only Chicago exists, to Orlando where everybody thinks only Mickey Mouse exists.......one of these days I might get it right....
Yeh, people who think there's nothing to Orlando but Mickey Mouse sure have it wrong. There's also Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto...

Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
Default And another

Don't forget Shamu!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrain View Post
We all the way out west are sometimes glad Chicago hasn't found our place yet. Mississippi Palisades almost my back yard
They're not as obscure as you might think. Sufjan Stevens' Illinois-themed album makes reference to the Palisades in one of its song titles.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 49,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They're not as obscure as you might think. Sufjan Stevens' Illinois-themed album makes reference to the Palisades in one of its song titles.
SHHHHH don't tell them It's our little secret

Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 PM

46 posts, read 454,093 times
I have my own personal grudge about this issue.... I was born & raised in Chicago, and after college I moved out to NYC. Now I live in Central IL, and it's as if I no longer exist to a lot of my so-called "friends" from Chicago. When I lived in NY, my "friends" were constantly in touch with me and visiting. Now that I live in Central IL the visits have stopped. I'm always asked when I'm going to Chicago, though, so that we can see each other. After two years of living here, I have just recently convinced people that it is an acceptable option to meet half-way in order to see each other so that neither of us have to drive the entire way.
Living in NY, though, the same problem existed. I had friends that NEVER left the island of Manhattan to go into the other boroughs because they thought nothing else existed outside of Manhattan.
This "problem" is the result of several things including the fact that a lot of people don't want to leave their comfort zone. Some people are also big-city people, and they seriously have issues with not being surrounded by concrete. I had one friend in NY who couldn't even stand the beauty of Hawaii because there was too much greenery and not enough big buildings.
I guess it's all a matter of broadening your horizons and being open to the possibilities that open up when you don't seclude yourself to one specific geographic region.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:17 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
I'm all for broadening my horizons, but it is difficult to visit my friends in the burbs. I have to either get a ride or rent a car and I don't like imposing on them to always get me from or take me to the train station. I know that is part of the problem some of us 'city people' have in trying to maintain friendships with people who live in the burbs or in places where the only way to get there is to drive.

Of course, there are always the 'city snobs' (whom I find intensely annoying) who are just jerks. So, as much as I enjoy and probably intend to live the rest of my life in one of the older urban areas of the US, I love the different parts of this country and enjoy visiting my good friends wherever they live (when they can get me from the train station .

Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,707,585 times
People who are ignorant will only think of Illinois = Chicago. Unfortunately, you probably will be constantly setting those people straight.

I am a city girl, born and raised in Chicago, but I know there is much more to Illinois than the big city. All those road trips I took to explore the whole state helped me to know and enjoy other places beyond my backyard.

Illinois is a beautiful big state and those who don't take the time to explore it are missing out.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Any state with a large city has that delima.
You'd be amazed at how many people think that NYC is the capital of NY.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
People who are ignorant will only think of Illinois = Chicago. Unfortunately, you probably will be constantly setting those people straight.

I am a city girl, born and raised in Chicago, but I know there is much more to Illinois than the big city. All those road trips I took to explore the whole state helped me to know and enjoy other places beyond my backyard.

Illinois is a beautiful big state and those who don't take the time to explore it are missing out.
Absolutely! Chicago is great and all, but its hardly ALL that is in Illinois. People should take some time to visit the following: Mississippi Palisades SP, Galena, Starved Rock SP, Matthiesson SP, Garden of the Gods SP, Shawnee NF, the new Lincoln Library, Peoria, B-N, etc... Lots to do! And also Apple River Canyon SP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois