Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM

105 posts, read 157,627 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why we downstate have to celebrate a Chicago holiday? Pulaski day? I had never even heard of this guy untill I got to college. And when I did hear it, people were debating how to say the guy's name. I know Chicago has a REALLY big polish population, but I mean, Steven Decatur did more then for our country and state then Pulaski did. Maybe everyone North of I-80 should celebrate Pulaski day, and we will celebrate "Decatur Day" down here? Maybe southern Illinois could have a "Spirit of St. Louis Day"? Illinois has practically adopted the city as is. Just a passing thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
Yeah, it really stinks to have an extra day off of work

I'm not one of the lucky ones who get it off, but come on.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Well I don't get it off either, so maybe that is why I don't understand it. In fact, come to think of it, I'm not sure, excluding my kids, whether anyone I know gets it off down here?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama214 View Post
Can anyone tell me why we downstate have to celebrate a Chicago holiday? Pulaski day? I had never even heard of this guy untill I got to college. And when I did hear it, people were debating how to say the guy's name. I know Chicago has a REALLY big polish population, but I mean, Steven Decatur did more then for our country and state then Pulaski did. Maybe everyone North of I-80 should celebrate Pulaski day, and we will celebrate "Decatur Day" down here? Maybe southern Illinois could have a "Spirit of St. Louis Day"? Illinois has practically adopted the city as is. Just a passing thought.
He came over from Poland, became the "father of American cavalry", fought against the British and died for our country. We celebrate the holiday up here basically for 2 reasons: he was a decent figure in our country's history, and because there is a large Polish community up here. As for S. Decatur? Heck, he got a town named after him, thats pretty cool and can never NOT be celebrated (some schools up here dont celebrate Pulaski Day). I think Id rather have a town named after me, actually. Plus, everyone that looks on a map will see your name.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I suppose you don't see people wearing red much on Polish Constitution Day either do you?

I don't get the day off, but then again, I don't work for the government. But I remember getting the day off in school.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama214 View Post
Can anyone tell me why we downstate have to celebrate a Chicago holiday? Pulaski day?
You don't have to celebrate anything. Go about your business if you prefer. No skin off our nose if you do.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Ok....again I didn't mean to offend anyone. Maybe I should begin my posts by stating my tone. I really don't care. It makes no difference to me what holidays we have. I just was talking to some co-workers today, and it came up. Both of them just moved to Illinois this year so they were just wondering, and I felt ignorant not knowing. All I knew was that it was a more Chicago thing and less downstate.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,337 times
I cannot believe that no one appreciates Pulaski Day!!! I am from Southern Illinois, in an area that we locals have dubbed "Little Poland". Being Polish has a great deal of pride associated with it. If you have never been, you should definitely pack up a carload and come check out the Polish Day Parade that we have in DuBois, IL. It is worth the trip! Here is a link to some pix. //www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc16820.php As far as it being a holiday and no one knowing who the gentleman was, I can't say that I have ever met Lincoln but I'll celebrate his birthday with a holiday!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Wink North vs. South

There are actually several topographically different areas to the state that are dwarfed by the overwhelming being of Chicago. As others have said, the population density of the city makes it a recognizable presence and voice for the state. Is that fair? Depends on perspective. Majority rules, basically, and that's where the majority is. Having grown up there, I understand that view, but also having left there for college and living the majority of my life south of Carbondale, I understand that perspective also. The north/south dividing line of the state is not in Chicago, although many Chicagoans speak as if Kankakee is in the south. There are spectacular places all over this state in their own right, Chicago being one of them, that do not get the recognition they may deserve. Everybody outside of the big city are not "hicks", just as everybody from Chicago are not shysters and crooks. Please try to understand the frustration of most statewide decisions being made by one city and the surrounding burbs to the average joe living, working, and raising a family anywhere else in the state. We sometimes felt we really didn't have a voice in statewide decisions really. But that's also why we felt it was so important to vote, so that our smaller voices might be heard. There is also nothing wrong with having pride in one's chosen location, but there's a difference between that and kicking sand at your fellow Illinoisan. It will always be: Chicago=Illinois and NYC=NYstate and LA=CA, it's all the same. Not worth stressing over. Peace

Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
When I lived near Rockford, I was always amused by watching Channel 9's newscast on cable. They often referred to Northern Illinois as "down-state".

Somethings never change....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois