Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,494 times

Advertisements

By the way, when you travel and study this, it sometimes feels that certain big cities are a "product of the state(or region) where they are located". And some don't fall into this category at all. For example, Miami is a product of South Florida, Jacksonville is a product and a distinct representation of North Florida. So is Pittsburgh for Western Pennsylvania, Cincy for Southern Ohio, LA for SoCal, San Francisco for North CA, Corpus Cristi for Southern-most TX. But then, there are the opposites - NYC is not at all a product of NYS. Phoenix can't be called the product of AZ or even its surrounding Paradise valley. So is Chicago(and a rather significant chunk of its suburbs) strikingly different from its state in practically all aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 19,389 times
Angry FreeIllinos@yahoo.com 51st State Announcement

Ladies and Gentlemen of the great divided State of Illinois: I would like to officially announce my petition to divide Illinois to form two seperate and distinct states from the one that already exists. The first would remain the State of Illinois. The borders of this state would be identical to the existing state, with one exception. Everyone living North of I-80 would become members of the new state that I am proposing. This new state would become the State of New Chicago! The influence that The Chicagoland area exerts over the rest of the "regular" State of Illinois is balancing on criminal. Our economic situations are at opposite ends of the spectrum and we "regular" Illiniosians can do nothing to defend our right to earn, short of outright rebellion! If you are ready for a change contact your local officals, Mayor Daley or Govenor Rod. Chances are you can find Gov Rod and Daley in the same place! With the help of Daley and Gov Rod we can do this! If the Mayor can shut down Cabrini Green and Meigs Field, he can surely break up a state!

Please email words of support and other thoughts to FreeIllinois@yahoo.com

Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Thats rediculous, and you know it will never happen, so why bother wasting your time? That kind of mentality is what tore this country apart and ended 500,000 lives in the Civil War.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:15 PM

94 posts, read 466,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats rediculous, and you know it will never happen, so why bother wasting your time? That kind of mentality is what tore this country apart and ended 500,000 lives in the Civil War.
It wasn't that type of mentality that really started the civil war. It was more the southern mentality of having black people do work that southerners were(and probably still are) too lazy to do themselves. That marred with the backwards notion of states rights over federal mandate. Specificly the states right to have slaves...

Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 PM

220 posts, read 675,193 times
Wouldn't that make the downstate portion of Illinois a poor mans Arkansas?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 20,050 times
Chicago is a fabulous City and has so much to offer. I was born and lived their for 63 years until we moved to Bourbonnais Il 4 years ago.. Where our imediate family lives..
I dont regreat the move its our hidden Gem,its perfect for us our small town in our retiring years...
Getting back to Chicago,One thing I did love the neighbor hood feel in Chicago and all the resturants and shopping Chicago has to offer.. The Airport that we lived blocks from and could sit in the yard and watch them land and take off how unique that was and the Orange line five minutes away to take you Down Town Chicago for an exciting day in only 30 minutes.. From here its 30 minutes just to the train and an hour on the train to Down Town Chicago..
I really didnt appreciate that we had so much until we moved. But dont get me wrong we absolutely love it here the people are so carring and friendly..
We have met so many beautiful people here..

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
It wasn't that type of mentality that really started the civil war. It was more the southern mentality of having black people do work that southerners were(and probably still are) too lazy to do themselves. That marred with the backwards notion of states rights over federal mandate. Specificly the states right to have slaves...
Very true, but if you re-read his post, substitute "Chicago" with "Yankees" and "southern Illinoisans" with "Confederates" and youll see what Im talking about. His post was very Confederate sounding.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM

220 posts, read 675,193 times
As bad as the economy is in many downstate areas, how bad would it be if Springfield lost 75% of its state jobs and Champaign, Bloomington-Normal, Charleston, Carbondale and Macomb lost all of those students?? And then people started to realize how much they miss the tax dollars coming from Chicago?

As a resident of Kankakee County, I would like to start the push to annex into this so called new state..

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
OMG, without Chicago's tax revenue the rest of the state would be in dire straits. And I'm not talking about the band!

Seriously, get out of the Chicagoland orbit and it is indeed a different world. OK, you have Cub and Bear fans downstate, but that is about it. Downstate could be Missouri, Indiana, or a handful of midwest states, except without the industry. I personally would not want to live in such a state.

I'm sure there are many fine, upstanding people working very hard downstate, but let's face it, Chicago is what drives Illinois and always will.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 AM

7 posts, read 20,050 times
I agree the statement is very confederate sounding and Chicago compared to west of I 80 is totally two different worlds.. Chicago IS what drives the state, and they also resent it in your States furthur South of Chicago.. I have experenced both. We spent 20 plus years traveling to Marion Ill.where my Husband and his family are from.. Talk about the South those folks down their are Southerners and proud of it They have trouble warming up to people from Chicago its like their afraid of them.. Although Dont get me wrong nothing wrong with Southerners they are deffinately a different bread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois