Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hill View Post
A couple people mentioned the speedway already and so will I. Another good time for everyone
Rockford Speedway
When the original cities rating publication, “Places Rated Almanac,” came out in the early 1980s, Rockford was ranked at or nearly at the bottom (I can’t remember exactly). Rockford’s elites were astonished and offended.

They were also astonished at two of the things that Rockford received high marks for – plenty of bowling alleys and Rockford Speedway. Some thought that Rockford would be downgraded for these: “Bowling alleys, how utterly working class.” “Rockford Speedway, that noisy, smelly place on 173 where THOSE people go.”

Of course none of them ever went to the speedway. If they had, they would have found a family friendly place. A place to take a date on Saturday night. Hugh Deery was way ahead of his time. He knew that most women and many kids hated race tracks because they were usually filthy - especially the rest rooms. Rockford Speedway was just as clean as the movie theatres.

I moved from Rockford twenty years ago. I am happy to hear that the speedway, a place that I often went to, is still doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM

90 posts, read 352,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I moved from Rockford twenty years ago. I am happy to hear that the speedway, a place that I often went to, is still doing well.

Well, for the last few years, there have been some serious talks of getting rid of it. In fact, I have a good friend that does quite a bit of the GC work for the city and he thinks this might very well be the last year. It's not that the speedway is going broke...it's just the owner is tired of having it and there's nobody stepping up to the plate.

The speedway is still like you remember. It's a great place to bring the family for a night of fun. At least once a month, they have "kids night". For kids night, they have something of the likes of a mechanical fire breathing dragon that eats cars, different styles of races, treasure hunt, and of course, the kids are free.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 PM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
I sure hope they do not get rid of it. I also heard that the houses that were built in the area near there are not happy with the noise every Sat and Wed night but the Rockford Speedway was there first and they should of done some homework before buying near a Speedway. It really is a fun safe place for the entire family or even a date and not expensive.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:58 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Rockford Speedway opened in 1948. The main attraction was midget racing which was very popular at that time.

I was 8 years old, then, and attended one of the first races at the speedway with my father and uncle. A terrible thing that I have never been able to forget happened at this race. One of the cars flipped over the fence and killed two people – one of them was decapitated.

Of course the race was stopped. What made it so unforgettable is when we filed out, the decapitated body, covered with a blanket, and the head, covered with a towel, were in full view of everybody. Those were simpler times.

Amazingly, I found this record of the accident here:
Motorsport Memorial -

Old 06-24-2008, 10:14 AM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
Here is an Aerial of Rockford Speedway
Attached Thumbnails
What is there to do in Rockford?-speedway.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois