Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 29,669 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate this forum - true inside look into all those things that make up life- living in a given place! Thanks to all who make it so useful and interesting!

There is apossibility I would start working in Macomb, IL. However, I would not like to live there, but I would really like a place where there is art, entertainment, music, and such. My idea is to live somewhere close to downtown/main street, where I'd have all these, and then commute to Macomb.

I am thinking of Moline (Quad Cities). Since they don't have direct Amtrak connection, the commute by car would take about 1hr40mins, according to GoogleMaps. That's the downside. The upside: what an exciting place to live! - and I might not have to commute every day - perhaps three/week.

I would be most, most grateful if you could suggest some alternatives to this plan - or to hear your ideas about it!

Last edited by etme; 06-23-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: my own post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
That is insane, driving up and down 67 for work from the Quad Cities to Macomb even three days a week would be a killer. Literally. You might be driving 80 miles each way, the odds of colliding with SOMETHING at high speed are enormous. Really bad idea.

I've been to the Quad Cities a handful of times and in person they have a lot less appeal than they do "on paper". Sure, Maccomb is pretty much the least desirable campus of the Illinois University System, but Davenport, IA, Bettendorf, IA, Moline, IL Rock Island, IL are no mecca either. Do you have any idea how many folks from even Iowa City IA drive into Chicago for arts/music/theatre???

If you just want to live someplace that is cute and quiet I'd suggest Burlington IA, which is probably a little more than half as far, though honestly the drive is not an easy commute.

Maybe you need to explore the outskirts of Macomb. More than a few professor from the University have built nice lives in the area, especially some of the folks involved with the arts...

Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Moline is not an exciting place to live, and I can't really see how the drive would be worthwhile.

Peoria is nice, but also way too far away. perhaps you could find something in the middle?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 30,467 times
Default What about Galesburg?

Galesburg is only 50 miles away from Macomb. Are you looking to rent or buy? Also, Galesburg has an Amtrak station downtown.

Last edited by kriskaden; 06-23-2008 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,482 times
The Quad Cities are a pretty good place to live, and a lot better than we get credit for.

As a graduate of WIU in Macomb, I can understand where the OP is coming from. I loved the campus, and I won't say I didn't enjoy my time there. However, it would have been nice to live somewhere where your shopping options didn't consist of KMart or WalMart, and your entertainment options don't consist of choosing a bar to get drunk at each night.

I read about someone else considering doing this commute on some website, and a good suggestion was made to split the difference. Monmouth, for example, is in between the QC and Macomb on 67, so you would have a shorter daily commute, but not too far to drive for some cultural amenities. Monmouth doesn't seem like a bad town on its own either.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
I definitely didn't mean my post to come off as Moline being a terrible place to live. It's not! It's not exciting either, but I'm sure it's more exciting than Macomb (which I've admittedly never been to).

Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 30,467 times
Yeah, sure Monmouth is nice, if you don't mind the smell of the hog plant there! One of their major grocery stores is closing next month and the only place to buy clothes there is Shopko.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM

365 posts, read 1,252,746 times
I've lived in Macomb. I grew up near the QC, worked there for a time, my dad worked there his whole life, mom still lives nearby, etc, so I'm very familiar with the QC. And, as others have said, the QC are not "exciting" enough to warrant that commute to Macomb, especially in the winter, which can be brutal out there on the prairie of western IL.

The QC is a working class, more blue-collar type area that is coming out of the economic slump that began back in the late '70's—early '80's. It does have sports teams, a couple museums, nice parks, shopping, the Mississippi River, and a few good restaurants...nice maybe to raise a family, but I wouldn't describe it as "exciting."

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Great posts - thanks guys! In consequence, I keep looking for alternatives... Because yes, the drive b/w QC and Macomb could be a killer - even literally. I wish they'd have Amtrak between QC and Macomb. But where else?

I thought about Galesburg, but from what I read on these forums, it is similarly sleepy and such. My idea would be to live as close as possible to opportunities such as a real downtown, music, art, and commute to work (rather than the other way around). I completely understand what some of you were saying about QC not being the "most" exciting place; however, it has downtown, music, art (the Figge looks like a blast) - there are things going on, and not only on special occasions, but as part of the life of the city. All my life I lived close to such things, and they've been a daily part of my life, so...

I truly appreciate your feedback... am still scratching my head about alternatives, besides Galesburg (which, indeed, is worth thinkng about, at least because of location).

Last edited by etme; 06-24-2008 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: own post

Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskaden View Post
Galesburg is only 50 miles away from Macomb. Are you looking to rent or buy? Also, Galesburg has an Amtrak station downtown.
Yes - thank you! - thought about it, indeed. I am looking to rent, at this point. Goodies - distance from Macomb; Amtrak to Chicago. Question marks - the other things (downtown, music, art etc)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois