Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Well, love it or leave it are your only realistic options. Sorry, but that's just the way it works out when there is a large metropolitan area in an otherwise rural state. Like sukwoo said, power is apportioned according to population. Where there is more population, there is more political power. Not much you can do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
I got some lovely news, people in Chicagoland hate Blagoavich also, I mean who does not. I voted for that Green Party guy last election, out of hate for our current governor. To bad the republican was Judy Bar Topenka or else we probably would not have Blagoavich right now.

Here is just an FYI, if you don't want amtrak cuts then just flood your state rep with mail, and they will be on your side.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, love it or leave it are your only realistic options. Sorry, but that's just the way it works out when there is a large metropolitan area in an otherwise rural state.
But then don't be surprised if Chicago isn't very popular with the rest of the state.

Especially when the governor even refuses to live in the state capitol.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
We wish he would live in the state capitol, we don't want him living up here either.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 26,729 times
Default Come on Now Folks

One of the most amusing things in the "Us poor Downstaters are just so abused and neglected" rants is that it's evident they i) don't want to be taxed, ii) don't like big government (especially Chicago style), and iii) don't trust anyone from outside Downstate to understand their issues or bestow appropriate sympathy. But I note that like clockwork they instantly go hysterical and throw hissy fits when the State actually...gasp... takes steps to cut services in a response to fiscal tightening. In other words, in tough times when dollars are short and the State cuts back, they go howling bloody murder. Now I ask what's not to get here? For instance, the train to Macomb and Quincy is a money loser. Old news. Times are tough and that route is put on the chopping block. Oh no!! cry the Downstaters, that cannot be!! The hypocrisy is truly stunning. My sincere suggestion to these folks is to move onto something more constructive and stop the endless whining. Giving in to self pity is no solution. Come on folks. It's the 21st Century already!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
For instance, the train to Macomb and Quincy is a money loser. Old news. Times are tough and that route is put on the chopping block. Oh no!! cry the Downstaters, that cannot be!! The hypocrisy is truly stunning.
And the rest of the state does not fund the CTA at all?! IF Chicago and Cook Co. government were honest and efficient (riiiight!), maybe down state residents would not be so "jealous" of the fact/perception some of their money is going to fund the Stroger and Daley and Blago patronage/re-election funds. I live in NW Cook Co. and I can't stand the state, county and city government. I hope Palatine suceeds in suceeding from Cook Co. I hope Arlington Heights and the other NW suburbs join them. Maybe we then stand a chance of getting efficient, honest government (if such a thing exists).

Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,729 times
Default When in Doubt...Secede!!

Yes and maybe you can incite the entire region to secede from the State - heck, why not the country, the world and the universe while you're at it? I can imagine the vast downtrodden hordes building support as they rumble over the countryside...Yeah you right. What a hoot! Am wondering if folks have spent a few too many evenings watching classic films about the slave revolts in Ancient Rome... Anyhoo, a secessionist rebellion by the Northwest Chicagoland Suburbs would be the derndest thing. Whatever will the rest of the world do? Cancel my train and I'm seceding. Truly hysterical! This just kills me. Call me when it's over.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
But then don't be surprised if Chicago isn't very popular with the rest of the state.

Especially when the governor even refuses to live in the state capitol.
We don't care. It's not a popularity contest.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Yes and maybe you can incite the entire region to secede from the State - heck, why not the country, the world and the universe while you're at it? I can imagine the vast downtrodden hordes building support as they rumble over the countryside...Yeah you right. What a hoot! Am wondering if folks have spent a few too many evenings watching classic films about the slave revolts in Ancient Rome... Anyhoo, a secessionist rebellion by the Northwest Chicagoland Suburbs would be the derndest thing. Whatever will the rest of the world do? Cancel my train and I'm seceding. Truly hysterical! This just kills me. Call me when it's over.
Wow, you must be in a truly rural area of IL to not get the Chicago Tribune and be up to date on the recent tax increases in Cook Co. Chicago now has the highest sales tax rate in the ENTIRE nation. Todd Stoger JR is responsible for most of this increase. Instead of taking suggestions from Maria Pappas, who was Cook Co. Treasurer on how to computerize and streamline departments, Todd decided he needed a tax increase to throw more people at the task of managing cook county business instead of following a proven way of doing more with efficient management from a fellow democrat. So yeah, I'm hacked off at being a "Sugar Daddy" for the corrupt machine politicians and also understand down-state anger at local services being cut. Have you read anything about Blago redistributing pension money? AND don't get me started on state funding for schools. So it is not about JUST cancelling a train route; it is anger at poorly run, corrupt, state and local government spending MY tax money to line their pockets.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
We don't care.
Exactly my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois