Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 27,396 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a job in Schaumburg. We currently live in Dublin Ohio (one of the nicest suburbs of Columbus). We are looking for a suburb within a 30 minute commute, with very good schools in a town similar to what we now live in. Our home price range is in the $800,000 - $1.2 million range. Barrington seems to be a good choice. Would appreciate any input from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Pretty big range..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogirl View Post
My husband is considering taking a job in Schaumburg. We currently live in Dublin Ohio (one of the nicest suburbs of Columbus). We are looking for a suburb within a 30 minute commute, with very good schools in a town similar to what we now live in. Our home price range is in the $800,000 - $1.2 million range. Barrington seems to be a good choice. Would appreciate any input from others.
If you are on the upper end of that range you are going to have a lot more choices -- everything from Park Ridge, Long Grove , Hinsdale and Wayne along with Barington are going to be close to the limits of a 30 minutes radius. Lots of really desirable towns with lots of different reason to want to live in 'em

Lower end is going to put you into so towns that are still quite nice, or even more affordable homes in some of the same towns.

Not really sure how any one town in the Chicago region would compare to the Dublin OH -- //www.city-data.com/city/Dublin-Ohio.html

I've been Columbus but don't recall being in Dublin. I gather it is something of suburb, but seems to cover a lot of area, you might not be getting into the kind of situation you are leaving behind. New construction in the areas I have cited was driven by teardowns and/or some very pricey stuff that beleive it or not is probably above the range you cite...

Really going to come down to having more specific wants/needs and dislikes...

Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the information.
Dublin is a large city outside Columbus with great schools, lots of golf courses (Memorial Tournament at Muirfield for example), great athletic venues for my boys (ages 13 and 10), great health clubs, tennis, etc.
We live in a country club community (almost resort-like) with homes 5 years or less that are $1 million plus. Lots of ex-pro athletes live in the area so it is very desirable.
We prefer the newer homes in this type of community. I wonder if you could shed some more light into the areas you mentioned or others. Naperville sounds somewhat similar however too far of a commute, I believe.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Try Northbrook,Wheeling, and Glenview.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Is there any place you are leaning towards? With that budget range for a house you could buy anywhere.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 PM

94 posts, read 374,626 times
Yes, with that budget, you really could live anywhere. I would do research on schools to be sure, but I know that Barrington Schools are good and that would be a simple drive. There are parts of Algonquin, Lake in the Hills, and Huntley that are very upscale, and the schools are good. There are no bad parts per se, just older homes. Boulder Ridge in Algonquin is nice, your drive would be a little over 30 min though depending on traffic. Bartlett is a nice area in the right areas, but your schools aren't as top notch as Barrington. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Post in the Chicago suburbs for more info, maybe mention Barrington and "golf communites" in title...

Quote:
Thanks for the information.
Dublin is a large city outside Columbus with great schools, lots of golf courses (Memorial Tournament at Muirfield for example), great athletic venues for my boys (ages 13 and 10), great health clubs, tennis, etc.
We live in a country club community (almost resort-like) with homes 5 years or less that are $1 million plus. Lots of ex-pro athletes live in the area so it is very desirable.
We prefer the newer homes in this type of community. I wonder if you could shed some more light into the areas you mentioned or others. Naperville sounds somewhat similar however too far of a commute, I believe.
Although even Barrington the communitiues with golf courses for residents only are not real popular. The density of the Chicago region, cost of land, difficulty in running thes kind of clubs for residents only make em pretty unpoplular. More common out on the fringes --- North of Libertyville near Gurnee there might be a couple. White Eagle on Aurora -Naperville border is an example of how these " go wrong" in the region.

There are some agents from Barrington on the Chicago-suburbs board that might have details from that area, but my gut says that these are not as common as they may be in Dublin OH...

Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
with that price range, and drive time, you can live in a lot of the western suburbs. I would recommend that you make the trip around the area. most communities have websites, and most realtors have their listings on line.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all the information. I think we will be coming to visit in a week or so to check it out. The top places appear to be Arlington Heights, Barrington, maybe Park Ridge? We tend to like newer homes...this will be our fourth move and all homes we have lived in are less than 5 years. We have younger boys (10 and 13) so schools and neighborhoods with kids are most important.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 AM

98 posts, read 318,032 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the information. I think we will be coming to visit in a week or so to check it out. The top places appear to be Arlington Heights, Barrington, maybe Park Ridge? We tend to like newer homes...this will be our fourth move and all homes we have lived in are less than 5 years. We have younger boys (10 and 13) so schools and neighborhoods with kids are most important.
I highly recommend Arlington Heights. I grew up there and my parents still live there. It is a beautiful area. Good schools. Great parks and park district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois