Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:22 PM

44 posts, read 162,634 times

Advertisements

[quote=Drover;307053](continued from above...)

I find that EXTREMELY implausible and I'm curious to know your source for that bit of information. I'd be surprised if more than 2% of the population in Door County is foreign-born. With the exception of the Hmong population in Wausau (approx 10%) and a handful of Mexicans who have made their way to Green Bay proper, Northern Wisconsin is one area that has seen almost no foreign immigration for the better part of a century.

Drover,
While I enjoy everything you have to share, I wonder where do you get your information from ? I would really like to know.
For a student, you seem to know way to much. Is your info based on reading and analyses or practical and personal experiences ?
As for me, like I said before, I went there personally, I talked to local residents, to the Chamber of Commerce, to the Police Dept, did as much research online as possible, looked at all official websites, etc.

Regarding the 69 % non-American born population I mentioned earlier, I found that info on the official site of Wisconsin - Door County, where you also find all the demographics, crimes, age, etc.
Please do not forget, the majority of the residents are from northern Europe like Sweden, Denmark, Germany, etc . And yes, many of their children WERE born here. But it is well known that the most of the residents on the peninsula are NOT americans. Just as well as the Wisconsin folks do NOT like us from Illinois. No secret there.
As for the 3 northern counties, are they similar to Rheinlander ?....been there once 12 -14 yrs ago.

I will go there once more and if it is not as you say it is...............you just wait, I will come and get you !!!.............Where do you live, what suburb ????..........ha ha ha, just joking .......MAYBE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Paxtonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxtonian View Post
I know of an antique store for sale in Paxton, which even has a large apartment upstairs. The owner never has really run it as a viable business, keeping it open five hours a day. Even then, there are many days he doesn't show up to open it. I figure it could do much better walk-in trade, and is situated where internet trade could be lucrative. I imagine the antique trade in Galena is a bit more brisk than here, anyway.

Are you sure the store you are talking about is not a cover up for Mafia ????
I do not know where Paxton is, otherwise I would have asked you to put me in touch with the owner, maybe he wants to sale it at a good price
That's exactly want I need, a store with an apt. above so I don't have to pay mortgage AND rent.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Hi snowgirl:

Well I just looked at Door County's website and I didn't find any demographic information there. However, City-Data, which gets its data from the Census Bureau, puts Door County's foreign-born population at 423 out of 28,000 residents which, like I speculated, is below 2%. I think it's more accurate to say the HERITAGE of most residents in the area is Northern European, rather than them actually having moved there from Europe. I'd be interested to know why there is such a massive disparity between the Census Bureau data and that gathered/provided by Door County.

I'm not sure what my being a student has to do with my knowledge of any given area, but whatever. My knowledge of Northern Wisconsin is from personal experience and gathering as much information as I can about the area. I have (had, more accurately) family connetions up there that has allowed me to spend a lot of time in Oneida and Vilas Counties, with brief trips to Sawyer County which is pretty much the same as Oneida and Vilas. (Oneida and Vilas Counties border each other, and Sawyer County is one county away to the west). As for whether Rhinelander is similar... I suppose so, since Rhinelander is the county seat of Oneida County.

I have not spent as much time in Galena, but I've been there enough to get a good feel for the place, and I have also gathered information about the area, particularly the real estate market.

Cheers,

-Drover

Old 01-26-2007, 09:01 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,588 times
That shop is too untidy for a mafia front, plus I know the owner, he doesn't seem the type. He has a sideline of doing computer work, plus he runs an internet provider service from there, perhaps that's how he makes his money. That may come in handy for doing internet business, I believe it's set up for DSL. Anyway, Google up French Lace Antiques in Paxton, Illinois. I've seen the sale listing in publications, and I believe it's on the multiple listing service. I'll see if I can find it, I recall that the price for the whole thing, less his current stock of antiques, was much less than one would pay for a house in Chicago. It's been on the market for a while, so I suspect you can negotiate. BTW, Paxton is about 103 miles south of Chicago, on I-57.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hi snowgirl:

Well I just looked at Door County's website and I didn't find any demographic information there. However, City-Data, which gets its data from the Census Bureau, puts Door County's foreign-born population at 423 out of 28,000 residents which, like I speculated, is below 2%. I think it's more accurate to say the HERITAGE of most residents in the area is Northern European, rather than them actually having moved there from Europe. I'd be interested to know why there is such a massive disparity between the Census Bureau data and that gathered/provided by Door County.

I'm not sure what my being a student has to do with my knowledge of any given area, but whatever. My knowledge of Northern Wisconsin is from personal experience and gathering as much information as I can about the area. I have (had, more accurately) family connetions up there that has allowed me to spend a lot of time in Oneida and Vilas Counties, with brief trips to Sawyer County which is pretty much the same as Oneida and Vilas. (Oneida and Vilas Counties border each other, and Sawyer County is one county away to the west). As for whether Rhinelander is similar... I suppose so, since Rhinelander is the county seat of Oneida County.

I have not spent as much time in Galena, but I've been there enough to get a good feel for the place, and I have also gathered information about the area, particularly the real estate market.

Cheers,

-Drover
Yes, Door County is mainly made up of Scandinavians-Americans. I love Door County, that would also be a nice place to open up shop, but only in the summer as winter season is completely dead up there.

Speaking of Door County, even been to Al Johnson's? Best Swedish pancakes in the world. Mmmmm......

Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, Door County is mainly made up of Scandinavians-Americans. I love Door County, that would also be a nice place to open up shop, but only in the summer as winter season is completely dead up there.
I'm kind of surprised to hear it's dead in the winter. I guess they don't really have small lakes that freeze or much open land for snowmobile trails in Door County, which makes up a fair portion of the Oneida/Vilas Counties' winter recreational activities. Even those places are pretty dead on weekdays but if there's enough snow they come alive on weekends.

Wisconsin's German heritage almost overshadows the fact that Scandinavians as a bloc make up the second-largest ethnic heritage in Wisconsin. (Cross the northern border of Vilas County and you're in the Mighigan U.P. where the single largest ethnicity is Finnish.) You see signs of it here and there, like the Norwegian flags that fly in downtown Stoughton, the wooden-statue pissed-off trolls in front yards all over Mount Horeb, and the Viking Brewing Company in Dallas. The owner of Viking describes him and his wife as being a "mixed marriage" -- he's Norwegian and she's Swedish.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Drover, from what I understand its almost completely dead up there in winter (Door County). My friend got married in January and honeymooned up there and said it was nice, but most of the shops were closed for the season.

Germans make up a HUGE bulk of WI, as do Scandinavians. I think Door County leans more towards the Scandinavian side though. Plus, Im of Norge (Norwegian) descent and my wife is of Sverige (Swedish) descent, a marriage made in heaven. LOL

Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
After the holidays,it is a ghost town,many of the restaraunts close down till May.If there is a good snowfall,you will have snowmobiles/cross country week enders,but all in all its vewy vewy quiet. I liked it that way for a change from the hustle of tourist time. Of course Sturgeon Bay is the exception as it is pretty independent of the upper Door,with many full time residents.And whoever said property was for sale becasue of the high tax and jump in real estate,,is right.We sold our waterfront property after 21 years,it was heartbreaking to sell,but we were one of the many who took the money and ran.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM

Dear Paxtonian......
Unless Paxton looks like Door County, don't bother to look up the owner.
If you know what Door County looks like, then you will understand ........there is nothing like this place, at least for my heart and soul and I doubt Paxton does.
But you were very nice to let me know and I thank you
I also want to thank everyone else for all their input and to ask you all to keep it to the subject
You guys are getting off track here, get back to "Door County" !!! ............joking

Old 01-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Nope, never been to Al Johnson's and since you did NOT answer my reply to your first message, I don't intend to go there either, no matter how good the pancakes are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois