Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM

27 posts, read 64,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Welcome back.

On topic. I have not left Illinois yet. But for the most part, many people I know that have left went to Arizona (Phoenix suburbs). They all gave the excuse that they don't like the cold winters here and there are more technology jobs available in the area of Phoenix.
How could I forget freezing temps during winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
We moved to South Carolina 5 years ago this summer. There are many reasons why we left; let me see if I can list some for you. Taxes, cold, a bad school district, cost of living, snow, crime, gas prices.

If we had stayed in Chicago we never would have gotten to take our children to Disney World or the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. We love the coast but did not want to take any chances with hurricanes forcing us out or causing financial hardship. We can be on a beach in 4 hours if we like.

Anyone will find something they dislike about anywhere they live. Our state is not perfect but we like it here.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
We moved to South Carolina 5 years ago this summer. There are many reasons why we left; let me see if I can list some for you. Taxes, cold, a bad school district, cost of living, snow, crime, gas prices.
I think you covered it all, these are the same reasons we are in a process of moving.

Quote:
If we had stayed in Chicago we never would have gotten to take our children to Disney World or the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. We love the coast but did not want to take any chances with hurricanes forcing us out or causing financial hardship. We can be on a beach in 4 hours if we like.

Anyone will find something they dislike about anywhere they live. Our state is not perfect but we like it here.
Very well put, I couldn't have said it better myself

Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM

572 posts, read 2,486,448 times
I did not want to live where the Tax rate is high along with spending out of control and the roads are bad and the winters are cold. I could deal with the cold but the out of control spending and the high Taxes I could not deal with.
So I moved to AZ my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)

Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The last year I lived in Illinois, it snowed from September to April. The wind chill for 6 weeks was -80 below. Canned food froze in te pantry, buses and taxis did not run.
I gotta call out bigtime BS on this one... first off, it snowed from September to April, eh??? Suuuuuuuuure, lets exaggerate a little, shall we?!?!? We might get a flurry in April, but it doesnt last more than a day, then its back in the 50s/60s/70s. And no way was there 6 bloody weeks that cold. Ive never even heard of a windchill that cold to begin with, let alone 6 weeks worth. lol I seriously hope people dont believe that crap! You might get a few days of serious cold windchills, then its gone and back to normal. "6 weeks worth of -80 below"??? LMBO

Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,137 times
Moved to CT for two years. (Job transfer). Came back at soonest possible moment. But 10 years later, realizing that we can't afford to retire in Chicago, we're getting ready to move to upstate NY, Finger Lakes region. We've been visiting there several times a year for the past four years and last week took another trip to decide on the town. We love the scenery, the agriculture, the small town living, the wineries, no traffic, less hassle...we just want to find some quiet and peace for a while...and maybe even a house we can afford.

As far as weather, well, we happen to like cold and hate heat (yeah, I know, there are only a handful of us out there). I would gladly live thru snowy winters from Oct thru May if it means I can escape heat. Even Chicago summerss are too hot for me.

BTW, my sister lives in the north 'burbs of Dallas, and I visit her often. Compared to Chicago, housing is cheap cheap cheap! No income tax, and prop taxes are a third of what I paid on my condo in Oak Park for a 3,000-square foot house. Now I can understand if you live downstate, it might seem more expensive in TX, but it just depends on where you're coming from.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The last year I lived in Illinois, it snowed from September to April. The wind chill for 6 weeks was -80 below. Canned food froze in te pantry, buses and taxis did not run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I gotta call out bigtime BS on this one... first off, it snowed from September to April, eh??? Suuuuuuuuure, lets exaggerate a little, shall we?!?!? We might get a flurry in April, but it doesnt last more than a day, then its back in the 50s/60s/70s. And no way was there 6 bloody weeks that cold. Ive never even heard of a windchill that cold to begin with, let alone 6 weeks worth. lol I seriously hope people dont believe that crap! You might get a few days of serious cold windchills, then its gone and back to normal. "6 weeks worth of -80 below"??? LMBO
I gotta agree with you on this Steve-o! I lived in Chicago for 25 years and never was it as bad as linicx makes it sound! It was bad but not that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
But 10 years later, realizing that we can't afford to retire in Chicago, we're getting ready to move...and maybe even a house we can afford.
Thats kinda where we were; needing to move further from the city to afford a home but unwilling to commute the distance to the city to work.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
I gotta agree with you on this Steve-o! I lived in Chicago for 25 years and never was it as bad as linicx makes it sound! It was bad but not that bad!
And I agree with you, too. Sure it gets bad from time to time, but overall I think our winters are severely overexaggerated. Snow in September? September is usually in the 70s and 80, almost absolutely perfect weather. Its even in the 70s and 80s many times in October, too.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Job transfer to Oklahoma. I miss Northwestern Il very much. It is quite true that the property tax was much higher there on my 3 acres whereas I have a ranch with almost 300 acres and pay less (houses are about the same size and quality). If this ranch sells when we retire in a few years I would love to move to that area again. I miss the people and I miss THE SNOW.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post

BTW, my sister lives in the north 'burbs of Dallas, and I visit her often. Compared to Chicago, housing is cheap cheap cheap! No income tax, and prop taxes are a third of what I paid on my condo in Oak Park for a 3,000-square foot house. Now I can understand if you live downstate, it might seem more expensive in TX, but it just depends on where you're coming from.
Would you mind sharing where your sister lives, we will be moving to Allen but are not rulling out McKinney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois