Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,702 times

Advertisements

Hi I am planning to move in "Fieldmoor & Ravine Apartments", West Gift Avenue, Peoria, IL in next month .
I want to know how safe is the apartment and the neighbourhood.
My wife is a homemaker, and she will be staying home , I am worried about her safety in this neighborhood .
I am from India .

Please give me suggestion .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:45 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
First I would say Welcome. Peoria is a nice place to live and raise a family. Where you plan to move was a really nice area in 1940s, but not so much in 2015. There are other areas in Peoria I think are a better fit. Timberlane Apartments on War Memorial is a complex near shopping and restaurants. Get a lease for 12 months, 6 months, 3 months, or month-to-month in a one or two bedroom unit. Rose has three locations in Peoria. Check it out here:
Timberlane Apartments | Edward Rose & Sons

What is your budget? What is the location of your employer (the block number and street name, such as 1000 West Lander Avenue)?

Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Here is more information: Peoria has a Desi community with restaurants and grocers. Be sure to check the Business section here: Indians Peoria Indians Peoria Desi Peoria IL Indian Community Classifieds, Restaurant, Grocery Stores, Namaste Plaza, Devon Foods, Rasoi, Desi, Peorian Indian, Peoria Indians, illinois Desi, Desi peoria, Movies, Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Yevadu, Evadu, K

HTCI is Hindu Temple Central Illinois - Peoria. There are also temples in Bloomington, Springfield and Champaign. This temple is very near Farmington Road between Peoria and Farmington. If you want directions let me know.

Here is a newspaper story about one family that attends HTCI. peoria journal star is our largest local paper.
Extra: Indian immigrants find slice of home at Hindu Temple of Central Illinois - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL

There is also a desipeoria site. I don't like it as not all of the places listed are in business. There is a grocer on N. Knoxville and restaurants on West Main Street not far from Bradley University.

I want to warn you that Peoria is very different. The streets downtown by the river are SW and NE from Water Street to West Main Street as it follows the course of the river. Between Main and Pioneer Parkway the streets are true N, E, S, and W. The main N/S arteries are University and Knoxville. The main E/W is War Memorial Drive (US 136).

Old 05-06-2015, 01:55 PM

n/m

Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
First I would say Welcome. Peoria is a nice place to live and raise a family. Where you plan to move was a really nice area in 1940s, but not so much in 2015. There are other areas in Peoria I think are a better fit. Timberlane Apartments on War Memorial is a complex near shopping and restaurants. Get a lease for 12 months, 6 months, 3 months, or month-to-month in a one or two bedroom unit. Rose has three locations in Peoria. Check it out here:
Timberlane Apartments | Edward Rose & Sons

What is your budget? What is the location of your employer (the block number and street name, such as 1000 West Lander Avenue)?

Reply from Kallol1987:

My budget is around 700$ .
My work location will be Illinois Mutual , and it is very near to Caterpillar .
address: 230 SW Adams St, Peoria, IL 61602 .

I have given advance of 125$ to Fieldmoor apartments and agreed for 6 months lease, but If you suggest then I will not move there .
Can you tell me, as per my work location which apartment will be good for me and for my wife .

Your suggestion will be highly appreciated .

Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 PM

If you back out of the lease you will lose your $125. Let's not do that. Get yourself settled in and at work before you start looking.

If the map is correct, you are not far from University. Getting to work is ABC. University is N/S Street. If the map is correct you will turn right onto University to go to work. Stay on this street. You will go very near Bradley U campus. Keep going south. The street has a slight dogleg. Don't worry. Keep following it. You will cross McClure, Nebraska, West Main, Moss, before you reach the hill. At the bottom you will find Jefferson and then Adams. Turn left onto Adams because it is a one-way street. Again, and only if the maps are correct, you are 8 or 10 blocks SW of your business. Peoria hills can be challenging in the winter with its ice and snow. It is not for stick shift unless you are really good at it.

If you take University North to the next big intersection it is Forest Hill. Turn left and go to Sterling and then right. You will find Kroger's grocer,a restaurants, Toys R US, and the entrance to the mall. On the other hand if you stay on University and do not turn onto Forest Hill, the next busy intersection is War Memorial Drive (US 150). Continue North to LAKE Street. The first two blocks have live theatre and two shopping centers: Sheridan Village on the right at the light. Evergreen Square is left at the light. Between these two strip malls you find grocery stores, Target, Office Max, Fanny May Candies (See's), Bergners, Old Navy. If you stay on University and look for Metro Centre, you find another grocer, several restaurants. the 3- season outdoor Farmer's Market, Radio Shack, and more. There is a second mall 3 miles away.

On the other hand, if you take a right on Forest Hill and follow it to the end, and then turn right to McClure. . . at the stoplight you will find yourself at the entrance to the Glen Oak Park, Children's Museum, A botanical garden and the Peoria Zoo. Every Staurday night when it is nice weather the Park shows a free "G" rated family movie. There is a Chuck E. Cheese in Peoria.

You can find Costco, a farmer's market and two natural grocery stores, and you can even find Apple Macintosh store. What you cannot find is Trader Joe's. The closest and easiest to get in and get out is in St. Louis which is about 350 miles round trip.

Take a deep breath. I'm not usually very far away from the keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois