U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 PM

788 posts, read 3,927,780 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate out of CA. Peoria is a consideration, as well as Naperville and Champagne-Urbana (sorry for any mispellings). What's the weather like in these areas? I have looked at the information (regarding weather) that this site provides, but I much rather get real words from real people. I am in Sacramento, CA. Here, there is sunny weather about 75% of the time, some rain, no snow, very hot in summer (100+), very low humidity.

Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 01:11 PM

196 posts, read 1,004,554 times
I have only lived in Illinois so I can't compare the weather to any other area. It's typical midwest I'm sure. I'm freezing right now. Summer humidity can be bad. Usually not for very long though. It comes in spells like the cold weather. It can also depend on wear you live in this particular area. Washington Illinois, since it's at the top of the valley, seems very windy. I'm in Chillicothe, which is much lower and not as windy.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:03 PM

260 posts, read 1,087,414 times
As you've gathered, it gets could here in the winter, but it isn't anything that can't be dealt with. Generally, we do get some snow, this year we haven't had much. Springs are cool and damp. Summer is hot and humid. Fall is just about right, generally dry and just a bit cool. The conditions today are about as cold as we've had it all winter, 15 degrees as the daytime high, and a low of 5 at night. Needless to say, I haven't been out much today, except going to and from the car. The following link will clue you in fairly well as to the general climate here:
http://www.nass.usda.gov/il/1998/9816.htm (broken link) .
BTW, my kids live near you. They dislike the summers, something about burning their feet through their shoes.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 173,050 times
Not sure if I can add anything extra here. Weather is typical Midwest continental for all these locations. I live in the city of chicago, but was born and raised in Peoria - a very nice city. The weather between the three cities mentioned will be very similar. Usually Peoria is a degree or two warmer than Chicago and would guess that CU would be the same as Peoria. The stations in Chicago usually report only Peoria or Springfiled in their newscast. Chicago - due to lake effect will be a few degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer than Naperville - which is 40 milesl out of the city. Topography is a bit different. Peoria has many bluffs, ravines, hills, and valleys and has alot trees whereas CU and Naperville are flat - typical Illinois topography (the Prairie state). Snow varies but not great between the cities - just really depends. Humidity will be alive and well in all of Illinois as well as the Midwest.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:21 PM

23 posts, read 173,050 times
Also, above Washington and Chillicothe are mentioned in regards to weather which are both in the Peoria Area.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:39 PM

I used to live in Champaign-Urbana. When we travelled, my wife kept tabs on the weather back home by looking up the report for Indianapolis in the USA Today. They have identical weather, except it's usually three hours delayed.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 AM

76 posts, read 290,697 times
Default Weather in Peoria?

Folks in California have little experience with thunderstorms and tornadoes. Rather than highlight just today's bone chilling temps, make sure you mention Tornado Alley. Chances of actually being in the path of a tornado are slim but we continue to read the horror stories of those who have.
Four years ago a tornado passed within a quarter mile of my house and created a path of destruction that was fifty miles long and a half mile wide. My daughter was in the local middle school that took a direct hit at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. My wife, a teacher, was in an elementery school nearby. My wife finally arrived home about 8pm, making a 15 minute commute in 4 hours. My daughter didn't get home til 9pm. I've been a midwesterner all my life and that was the closest I have come to a tornado. And it was close enough!

Last edited by RikardW; 01-30-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM

Tornadoes are merely another thing to deal with. BTW, they HAVE had them in Sacramento before.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 48,120 times
I live in Montana now, but was born and reared in Illinois. And Peoria, you have to have been away from it to truely appreciate its beauty. Everyplace has its own beauty and splendor. While in Illinois I thought Montana was the prettiest country I'd ever seen. After having been gone for almost 40 years, when I am flying over Peoria in the springtime, I almost cry at the beauty I never noticed while living there. So many different colors of green; decidious trees everywhere...and for its size, I just love Peoria and have the fondest memories.

But the weather in the winter.......brrrrrrrr. Even 40 is cold there. My father used to say, "Honey, I worry about you in the god-forsaken, cold country in Montana." He had heard weather reports where we had been the cold spot in the nation. I said, "Dad, I have never experienced cold like I did in Illinois in the winter as I walked up the hill from the river to go to work!" And maybe it has changed, but snow removal was so inadequate there when a big storm came in. I remember one time where I walked three blocks to a main artery (Knoxville) that had been cleared, and caught the bus to work because our cars were snowed in. In an office of 52, only five of us made it to work that day. We were looking out the window from the 11th floor of the Commercial National Bank (name different now); and I said, what is that going down Adams Street. My boss said, "well, i'll be darned; it's one of those SkiDoo thingies. I've never seen one in real life. (Now that was about 1966).

Wel-l-l-l-l-l, while I'm on the subject, the summers are excruciating too. But then you're used to blistering heat. I only come to Illinois in the springtime and in the fall, to avoid the extremities in temperatures; but I still love Illinois and the wondrous memories I have of my youth there. I love the Spring and Fall seasons - their glorious.

Hey you Peorians, God bless you all!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 AM

131 posts, read 717,707 times
The weather in Champaign-Urbana is changeable. We get the jetstream moving back and forth over us, which tends to cause temperature changes that can be unpredictable. I think of it as giving the area an excitement that the landscape lacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois