Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,202 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving from Chicagoland to the Peoria area. From my research I understand the north/northwest regions are respectable areas. My issue is finding a place to rent with a garage. Are there any townhomes to rent with a two car garage in the Peoria area or even houses? If so what are the names of the townhome communities? Is there anything in Mossville, Dunlap, or Chillicothe in regards to rental townhomes? I appreciate all the help.

Regards,
Tariel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
First, understand that Peoria is a sprawling community. Where you work will probably dictate where you live. For instance, if you work at the airport you will not want to live in Chillecothe because its at least 60 minutes if you're not caught in traffic or a snow storm. It may not be that far, I'm trying to make a point about distance when you're sliding up and down icy hills. Peoria is not flat like Chicago, but it does have a very respectable Interstate system and its easy to get around once you understand the basic streets. The more you know the easier it will be to find what you need once you move. The following is enough information to get you up and running once you hit the ground, so to speak. Few of the streets are due N-S or E-W and even less are absolutely flat and straight.

Methodist and St. Francis Hospitals are near downtown on Glen Oak. Both can be accssed from Hamilton, As far as I am concerned the easiest hospital to access is Proctor on N. knoxville as Knoxville is a major IL route.

NE Adams (IL 29) is a one-way 4-lane street for 10 miles. SW Jefferson is a on-way 4-lane for eight miles. These are parallel streets that pass through down town Peoria and they are busy streets. But the traffic is genreally no worse than the Outer Drive about 1pm on Sunday afternoon.

Peoria was not built in a "pure" grid form like Chicago. It followed the course of the river before it built upward and outward. Prospect Ave, Abingdon, Main, Sheridan, Knoxville, University, and Sterling Ave and Western are N-S streets. Nebraska, War Memorial (US 150), Lake, Glean Ave Wisconsins, and Northmore are E-W streets.

University exiting 1-74 crosses Nebraska, Wisconsin, War Memorial, Lake, Glen, Northmore and then northward to auto row. All the major shopping, except the Malls are two lights south of War Memorial on Univeristy and three lights North of War Memorial on University on any of the N bound streets.

The exception is Prospect Ave which is in Peoria Heights. It travels between Glen Oak and Knoxtille AVe and has many lights. The area you will want to shop is between the Zoo and N Knoxville. The area to live in is anywhere near Grand View Drive and North to Knoxville.

Main is a horsehoe street that begins at the river continues north, turns to the west
crossing Sheridan and University before it passes Bradley U and joins Western which is a N-S short street between N.Main and SW Adams on the far south side of Peoria - when you think of this area think of South side of Chicago where Rev.Wright preached.

Begining at the river downtown and moving north the E-W streets are Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe. The major N-S streets downtown moving east are Fulton, Main and Hamilton. Knoxwille Ave angles to the right off Main Street above Monroe.

The county courthouse, Federal courthouse, Caterpillar Headquarters, lawyers, banks, 4am bars, Civic Center, hotels, River Front, Jazz club, some shopping and main library are in this 8 block legal/financial district. Jim's Steak House, twin towers (residential), and some other stuff are in the same area.

Shopping: The shopping areas I call strip mall are usually good size and have a variety of stores.

Northwoods, the indoor Mall, is sandwiched between Sterling Ave and War Memorial, a little south of Glen. Access from either street.

War Memorial Drive is US 150. It crosses the Il River at the McCluggage/Iron Workers Bridge and continues West through Peoria to Brimfield and beyond. Glen is the first major street N of War Memorial. Half way between WM and Glen is Lake Street.

Sheridan Village, a major strip mall with a Bergner's anchor. It is located between N Sheridan and N Universtity on the corner of Lake..

Lake St. is a short E-W street situated between War Memorial and Glen Ave that carries traffic between N. University in Peoria and N. Prospect in Peoria Heights. .

Directly across the street at the Lake side traffic light at Sheridan Village is the strip mall where Office Depot, Kroger's grocery, Big-K or Target and other stores are located.

Metro Center is the next strip mall north of Lake Street on University. Brom's Furs and all kinds of niche shops are here. The farmer's market is here with seasonal fresh veggies. North of this strip mall (drive through the parking lots) is Shnuck's grocery store. and some others.
Grand Prairie Shoppes is toward Dunlap. (may not be t he correct name) off Willow Knolls Road. .

Sterling, Glen, War Memorial all converge together at the same light.
Glen begins here, travels due East to Peoria Heights and Prospect Ave.. The top rated Peoria Zoo is South of War Memorial on Prospect. You'll pass Trefger's Bakery. You haven't lived until you eat their Danish Flat Coffee Cake (14 flavors). The chocolate version is awesome. This cake flies out the door on Saturday mornings. Order or get their very early.

War Memorial, at this intersection, swings N and then W to Brimfiled. This is the end of Sterling.. It is a short streret that goes south to Farminton Road. (Farmington Road runs betten Main Street and Farminton, IL.)

Sterling is the access street to Cub Foods, Avanti Italian Restarnt. South on Sterling is where you find 24-hour upscale Kroger grocery. Find food here you won't find in other stores.

North on War Memorial and Glen at the second light on the LEFT is where you find Lowes, book store, Petmart's, buffet and other box stores. Continue N to find Sam's Club and the Proctor Hosptial walk-in clinic at a strip mall on the RIGHT at a light. In this area is Rolling Acres, Sherwood Forest, Northmore Road and a lot of housing - both houses and apartments, duplex, etc. The entire area is a nice place to live. All of the houses in Sherwood forest have a garage. Many have a double garage. Family homes.

Peoria Heights = north on Prospect Ave is also a nice place. Anywhere near Grandview Drive N to Knoxville is a great location.

Chicago has expressways, Peoria has bridges. The 1st bridge farthes NE in Peoria on Adams is the McCluggage or Iron workers Bridge. US 150 crosses it.

Turning toward downtown Peoris is the second bridged, Murray Baker Bridge. carries 1-74 traffic.

The third is Robert Michael Bridge. carries traffic between Peoria and East Peoira - our bridge to nowhere..

The fourth is out of downtown Peoria. It is Cedar Street Bridge that connects to East Peoria and Creve Coeur.

The last bridge is a Peoria bypass Shade-Lowman. It carries 1-474 traffic from 1-74/Morton to west of Peoria crossing exits at Pekin, Bartonvill, Farminton and Greater Peoria Airport and US I50 before it rejoins I-74 and continues toward Galesburg.

I-74 Exits Morton, East Peoaria(2), Adams Street, University, Glen and War Memorial before it joins I- 474 ancd continues west.

pjstar.com - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

The Peoria Joiurnal Star will keep you up to date on local issues, weather, etc..

East Peoria, Morton, Eurika, Dunlap, Gernantown Hills and Peoria north of War Memorial are the most desirable locations. The farther from Peoria, the lower the rent.

Got questions? IM me.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Man_65 View Post
Hello,

I am moving from Chicagoland to the Peoria area. From my research I understand the north/northwest regions are respectable areas. My issue is finding a place to rent with a garage. Are there any townhomes to rent with a two car garage in the Peoria area or even houses? If so what are the names of the townhome communities? Is there anything in Mossville, Dunlap, or Chillicothe in regards to rental townhomes? I appreciate all the help.

Regards,
Tariel
Like the above poster said, Peoria is very much the "20 minute city" where it often feels like its sprawling. It seems as though there's new development "hubs" springing up everywhere all the time, but we grow out instead of up.

Are you up for a commute? do you only want to spend 10 minutes in the car? Dunlap can be quite a haul into town, if you are working somewhere downtown peoria, along the riverfront. Chillicothe has always been a nusaince from the 22 years I have lived in the area. It's so far out of the way that I would often shy away from attending parties or developing strong friendships with people way "out there."

If you are comfortable with say a 20-30 minute commute, there are a handful of reasonably priced towns you can look into, that purchasing may be within your grasp as opposed to renting. East Peoria, Dunlap, Metamora, Washington, and Morton are all relatively safe and family style home towns. Peoria has several clusters of rental apartments, a large majority on the road heading north east out of the center of town called "Knoxville" but the housing prices have always been fairly stable and reasonable around here that most people are able to find something to fit their needs.

If you provide a little more input about your relocation, I could provide additional and more detailed suggestions to you.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM

269 posts, read 1,095,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Man_65 View Post
Hello,

Regards,
Tariel
Well hello fellow Chicagoland transplant! Your research is correct. Really anything above War Memorial is considered to be "the" place to live in Peoria proper. That is not to say that there aren't some fantastic neighborhoods south of WM, (Moss Ave. area is spectacular!!), and that everything north is Grand View Drive, but generally speaking, the vast majority of north Peoria residents aren't interested in shooting each other up on a daily basis. As far as rental property in Chilli goes, I'm afraid I really don't know. I know lots of people that love living there, and while I don't make it up that way too much, I do know their library is exceptional! I feel pretty safe in saying that there isn't much in the way of property in Mossville. Whenever you hear the name Mossville you can either assume that someone is talking about CAT, or is referring to living towards the general area. I would stick with looking in the immediate Dunlap community. I live off of Rt. 91, and I don't know of any rental properties here, so don't bother. I know a younger couple that rented in the Knoxville Point area. I want to say that they had garages, but I don't think they were attached. If you get a chance to come down and take a drive, look around the Allen Rd area (going north), before you get to Alta Rd. I do know there are some brand new townhome style subdivisions going up in that area. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I usually try to keep up on the new neighborhoods in the area, but with work latetly, and with the area growing like crazy, I haven't been as diligent. I live up in the area so if you have any other questions about the community feel free to let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois