Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 22,587 times

Advertisements

I have lived in West Chicago, Batavia, Naperville, Aurora, DeKalb and now Rochelle, IL. I like being on the edge of town with a little bit of country but not so far from decent medical facilities and good shopping (if it takes more than 15 minutes to get to those things, then it's too far out). I need a job, good schools and affordable housing but can't leave Illinois. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Bloomington?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Elburn, Illinois. Quiet, very safe, growing (but not overly rapid), close to nice outdoor areas (ie Headwaters Conservation, Johnson Mound, etc), a 10 minute drive to all the shopping you can imagine in St. Charles, Batavia, Geneva, etc.

Rochelle isnt fun, I understand your pain. I have family that lives in a nice area off of Flagg Road, but I still dread going out that way to visit because Rochelle is sooooo bloody boring. Its a cow-town, Id go insane if I had to live there. So come on out to Chicagoland where things are the furthest thing from Rochelle that you can imagine.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Elburn, Illinois. Quiet, very safe, growing (but not overly rapid), close to nice outdoor areas (ie Headwaters Conservation, Johnson Mound, etc), a 10 minute drive to all the shopping you can imagine in St. Charles, Batavia, Geneva, etc.

Rochelle isnt fun, I understand your pain. I have family that lives in a nice area off of Flagg Road, but I still dread going out that way to visit because Rochelle is sooooo bloody boring. Its a cow-town, Id go insane if I had to live there. So come on out to Chicagoland where things are the furthest thing from Rochelle that you can imagine.

Ditto to Elburn. it's starting to grow (they even have their own JEWEL out there now!!!!) I use to live there and it was NICE to be out away from STC and Geneva, but still within a reasonable drive when I did have to get to town. Otherwise you might look at like the FAR western parts of South Elgin....... south elgin is starting to grow a lot too.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,158 times
Pers, I like Dekalb. I moved from Chicago and love it here. I don't even notice the college. The shopping is pretty standard and only a mile from where I live. If I need a mall, there is always Naperville. If I need a nightlife. Naper or Rockford has some cool stuff to do.

It would be nice if there was an art community in Dekalb. My only gripe.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,998 times
Effingham is a GREAT community that's really on the move...good jobs, awesome schools, etc. Let me know if you want more! Thanks!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
sugar grove is also a good choice. we have our own grocery shopping(jewel and aldi) new medical doctors offices, dentists, brand new animal hospital, brand new library, new middle school, eye doctor set to open soon, daycare facilities. close proximity to 3 hospitals..mercy center, delnor, and rush copley, plus the orchard road area of aurora for home depot, lowes etc. many homes are far below their previously high market values. Kaneland schools. low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois