Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:47 PM

45 posts, read 132,339 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place to live where family members have to drive to Peoria and Springfield in opposite direction.

Lincoln IL is one possibility but crime records for that great. Any recommendations so that one way drive is not more than 50 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Havana. 50 miles either town. No town more central.

San Jose, Bath, Lincoln, Bloomington, Normal, Atlanta, Leroy, Kilborn, Pittsfield, Decatur, Mason City, Middleton, Teheran, New Salem, Williamsfield, are closer to Springfield.

Farmington, East Peoria, Morton, Manito, Washington, Delvan, Pekin, Metamora, Dunlap, Brimfield, Lacon, Creve Coeur, Canton, Lewistown, Astoria, Chilecothe, Eureka, Spring Bay, Germatown Hills, West Peoria, Peoria Heights, Roanoke, Bellevue, Pottstown are closer to Peoria.

You will NOT find any crime free town in America or Illinois. Despite what you read, Lincoln is a nice small conservative town. Its a farm town. It's boring as are most farm towns. .

If you are looking for a small town where it is safe for your kid to walk to the movies after dark, and there is actually something to do besides drugs, Havana is not a bad place to live. The city, the schools and the parents support the kids and the schools.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM

166 posts, read 855,698 times
Have you considered Mason City? 35 miles to Peoria, 40 miles to Springfield. Here's a nice home for sale there:
602 E Chestnut Street, Mason City, IL, 62664 - MLS ID#20090041 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

I think Mason City is further to Peoriia than 35 miles. It's 15 to the Interstate in Lincoln.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Cute house

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover View Post
Have you considered Mason City? 35 miles to Peoria, 40 miles to Springfield. Here's a nice home for sale there:
602 E Chestnut Street, Mason City, IL, 62664 - MLS ID#20090041 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com®
The house is 139 years old and its been added on to. For someone who does not understand old houses, they are expensive to repair and they usually need a lot of it, and they are generally drafty and expensive to heat. I had one that was 109.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
San Jose, Bath, Lincoln, Bloomington, Normal, Atlanta, Leroy, Kilborn, Pittsfield, Decatur, Mason City, Middleton, Teheran, New Salem, Williamsfield, are closer to Springfield.
Bloomington and Normal are both closer to Peoria than Spfld. I think Lincoln's probably your best bet in terms of splitting the drive.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Bloomington and Normal are both closer to Peoria than Spfld. I think Lincoln's probably your best bet in terms of splitting the drive.
Are you sure? It always seemed it ws 50 m from Springfield to the 1-74 cut off to Peoria. I'm not looking for a fight. I was always anxious to get back to Peoria after a long trip,

Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM

166 posts, read 855,698 times
I did google maps from Mason City to Peoria, Mason City to Springfield to see what the mileage was.
Yes, some or even most older homes can be a lot of maintenance. That one in particular has been very well cared for and had tons of updating. They also have 'character'.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 AM

Distance calculator Mileage Calculator

Bloomington to Springfield 60.7 mi (97..7 km)
Bloomington to Peoria 33.8 mi (54.4 km)

Mason City to Lincoln 18.3 mi. (29.4 km)
Lincoln to Peoria 39.9 mi (64.1 (km)
*** 18.3 + 39.9 = 58.2 miles from Mason City to Peoria
Mason City to Lincoln 18.3 miles
Lincoln to Springfield 28.6 mi (46.1 km)
***18.3 + 28.6 = 43.9 miles from Mason City to Soringfield.
[To reach the interstate from Mason City to drive to either Peoria or Springfield, it is almost 20 miles or two lane roads between Mason City and I-55 at Lincoln. .

Havana to Peoria 36.5 mi (58.8 km)
Havana to Springfield 41.3 mi (66.5 km)
Havana to Bloomington 58.2 mi (93.5 km)

This calculator s pretty accurate. I suspect this mileage calculator measures from county line to county line. In otherwords the southernost county line south of Havana (Mason County) to the northernmost county line in Springfield (Sangamon County).

Morton to Lincoln 32.2 (51.8 km)
Lincoln to Springfield 28.6 mi (46.1 km)
***Morton to Sprinfield 80.8 miles
Morton to Peoria 9.2 mi (14..8 km)

When you factor in an additional 10 miles from the county line to your work place and return to the county line before you return home you will still average 200 miles per day drive time. regardless of where you live.

Something else to consider is weather. Mason City and Havana have two lane country roads to the Interstate. if you travel through Fulton County to Peoria it is also two lane roads.

### Lincoln to Peoria or Springfield is all Interstate driving. So is Bloominton to either city, as is Peoria to Springfield

County roads are messy in the winter. The Interstate is a federal highway and the roads are normally clean. It's the black ice and white outs that make driving dangerous in the winter on every road. Been there done that and almost killed myself on 1-74 one afternoon because of ice I could not see. It is why it is called 'black ice". The icy road looks normal.

Last edited by linicx; 02-18-2009 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 AM

Default As a realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover View Post
I did google maps from Mason City to Peoria, Mason City to Springfield to see what the mileage was.
Yes, some or even most older homes can be a lot of maintenance. That one in particular has been very well cared for and had tons of updating. They also have 'character'.
As a realtor you would know things one cannot see. As a buyer I would want to know about the furnace, electircal, roof, exterior and plumbing. the basement - does it flood, and rafters. Has it ever been in a tornado? Who is the insurers agent? And I would never buy a house that old unless it passed a home inspection, mold inspection and radon inspection. Been there and done that with a realtor in Lincoln who tried to force a handicapped friend of mine into a house that did not pass inspection- due to tornado damage in roof and foundation problems - because she owned a section of prime farm land. No papers were signed, and the banker was not going to let her back out of the loan app. Isn't that a banker you'd like to avoid? The loan was approved and written in less than 5 hours after she saw the appraisal. She tried to convince me it was nor reversable. I made it very clear there was no sale and no loan.

I could certainly not allow someone who has never lived in America or owned a house in America to buy a barn tha was nearly 150 years old without a lot of reassurance from professionals - who were not realtors.

The kicker of the story. The agent was the ex-Board of Realtors president. He conveniently lost the contingencies when he had her sign a new contract the day before the inspection report was given to me. By the time I was finished with the broker he was publically embarrased and after six months of arguing he finally refunded her escrow. to this day he will walk across the street to avoid the client. His lawyer gave him good advice.

The last realtor I dealt with held a phony closing to cheat me out of my house. That didn't work either.. We are still in court. The five realtors and title company manager are still trying to weasel out of lies, threats of jail, invalid contracts. stalking and accusations of a federal crime.

I do pretty good for a little country bumpkin who was raised in a realtors house. We talked about bad deals. wny they went bad and shyster realtors every day for 56 years.

Lady Justice is not blind. She's thoughtful..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois