Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 AM

123 posts, read 226,556 times

Advertisements

It is bad.

-high taxes
-bad schools
-little diversity both cultural and religious. Lots of rednecks/hillbillies
-mostly blue collar town
-high crime in most parts. West side is frightening to drive through. All the thugs, gangs, boarded up building. It is interesting how in this town, you can have a thug/gangster filling up gas right next to a hillbillies in a gas station for instance.
-few dining options.
-little night life
-highest concentration of churches in the world (from non christian perspective). Seems like there are tons of religious zealots out here.
-Most people out here can not understand how someone does not celebrate christmas or easter?!
-not a reasonable commute to chicago daily
-Low property costs sure, but there is a very good reason for that as there is relatively little demand to dirve prices up
-business district on state is big box stores and fast food chains
-semirural setting in many parts
-no high end retailers, gap could not survive in this town
-little choice for specialty medical care with only 3 hospitals for the entire rockford area!
-Few high end housing options in rockford. >300k home puts you in the top 2% of rockford housing!!

I am sure I can think of more. Oh, how I miss the north shore of chicago!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM

62 posts, read 299,845 times
Rocky your entitled to your opinion, but I see Rockford way differant than you do. Rockford is a great city!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 AM

71 posts, read 332,481 times
Sorry, haven't been on this thread much. Yeah, Rockford is not all that great, I mean, the cops here totally suck. But the reason I am still liviing here is because of the taxes. Kane, Dupage, and Will still have lower taxes than Cook, so stay where you are. Rockford is not all that great of a city in terms of crime, education, or drug use. They would rather pull people over of listening to music at a loud volume, even though it's no that rap crap, than cracking down on herioin dealers/users and thieves. Can you believe that the Rockford Police will tow your car at your first offense for listening to music at a reasonable high volume than rather crack down on other losers here? I mean, it wasn't even the RAP CRAP that was being played.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:37 AM

87 posts, read 411,169 times
my freind lives in downtown rockford. just a typical midsize city he lives by swedish american crime isnt that bad just gangster wannabees

Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidude View Post
my freind lives in downtown rockford. just a typical midsize city he lives by swedish american ..........
Swedish American is NOT downtown.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM

its right by downtown you fool im not from illinois i remember driving down e state by the hospital then like a few blocks farther your there

Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
its right by downtown you fool im not from illinois i remember driving down e state by the hospital then like a few blocks farther your there
It's 1.3 miles from Swedish American to downtown:
from: 1400 e state st rockford il to: 200 W State St, Rockford, IL 61101 - Google Maps
It's obvious you are not from Illinois.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:07 PM

62 posts, read 299,845 times
I'm from rockford, but I wouldn't consider Sweetish American downtown. Downtown to me is metrocentre, city hall area. Just my opinon.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM

YES im not from il nor to i want to be. Alls i said was my freind lives there in downtown. He lives of SUmmit St by a gas station last i remember me and him skated downtown by the Volvo place in under 5 min who cares if its downtown

Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,622 times
I think people who come to Rockford are ignorant of its history. They haven't experienced it change. They haven't experienced the people change. They haven't experienced the job market change. They haven't experienced the school system change.

I have experienced all of those things change in Rockford.

Rockford is a bad place, and people always say, "It's nice."

NO, it's not. Why?

Let's cover transportation:

Let's see. It took them years to bring the airport back.
And it's not even Rockford Airport anymore.
It has Chicago in its name. Rockford bowed down to Chicago.
And the airport doesn't even go to a lot of decent places.
If I wanted to leave Rockford forever, though, it'd probably be the first place I go to take a plane out of here.

Before the airport, people went to Chicago for a plane.
Isn't it pathetic that Rockford keeps its airport down for so long and then suddenly re-opens it again. It's like Rockford doesn't even care about its people.

And what about the train system?
Gee, if we had a train system to Harvard, people would take Rockford to Harvard to Chicago. Or maybe they could simply take a train from Rockford to Chicago.

Know what people do right now?
They take a car from Rockford and drive to Harvard in order to catch a train to Chicago.
The trains in Harvard go to many more places than Chicago.

And let's remember something.
Rockford is the third largest city in Illinois.
What are the politicians here doing?

They keep this place like a hicksville, and it has a decently large population. It can gain a lot more from its people if it actually created better transportation systems.

And what about the city buses?
The city buses suck. They suck hardcore.
And don't give me that junk about them improving in the past two years.
They didn't improve for over a decade.

It took public meetings for the public of Rockford to voice their opinions to the Rockford Mass Transit District. Before that, Rockford could have cared less about its people and where they wanted to go in town.

It took people too long enough to realize that we need more buses on E. State. It was ridiculous.

People who have recently moved to Rockford or will can see some of these changes, such as the airport and buses. Gee, I wonder why people are saying it nice. Well, tell you what, the people who have been here won't forgive the sins of the snooty, greedy, stupid, ignorant politicians who have been controlling these lands.

Stay here long enough, and they might turn the tables on the people of Rockford again.

And the school system?

The teachers are ignorant. I graduated from college and high school with honors from Rockford. I think it's filled with ignorant losers who don't care about their students. And the students are ignorant losers, too. They are violent sociopaths with nothing to lose. This makes me wonder what kind of parents they have. I can only assume the parents are as stupid and ignorant for deciding to be in Rockford.

I've seen the school system change. And I've seen schools obtain funding. I've seen teachers have all this technology and not understand how to teach students to use it properly. The teachers may have a degree, but they are seriously ignorant. That's ok. I've met a lot of ignorant teachers in college. I suggest the private school system, because the public sucks. There is too much ignorance and violence.

Want to know why Gen X is messed up in the head in Rockford? The school children were often physically beat. In the public school system, I've only had one incidence where a teacher grabbed me and slammed me. The Rockford school system gives people too much liberty to be abusive to its children. Don't let your children go through this hellish land. Don't let them. They will end up hating this place. They might end up hating you.

Rock Valley College is only trying to improve itself for NEWCOMERS. It's all about those damn newcomers. Since Rockford figures that the generations of past are moving the hell out because we know the place has hit rock bottom and we're fed up, the people of Rockford decided, "Hey, let's make the place nice for once."

Yeah, RVC is only making things nice so they can say, "Look. We're a pretty college. Our professors are idiots, and we didn't actually have a decent building structure for a place of learning until the last year; but at least those who have graduated can't come back and tell you about it."

It's about people who have been in Rockford and those who are new. The new people will think it's great. Remember this: People are only making Rockford good for the new people. The politicians couldn't care less about the people who grew up here.

And Rockford College?
I was offered over $10k to be there a year long ago.
But it's a joke. Even professors at RVC think it's a joke. $25k a year in order to get a bachelor's degree? Go to NIU, it's not that far away, and it's cheaper.
For being educated, Rockford's people are very stupid. I mean stupid as in they can't learn. They really can't learn.

And the job market?

I keep seeing places close down. I keep seeing jobs lost. I keep seeing things go down in the ground. And I can only say that Rockford is headed toward hell. It will eventually succumb to the Chicago area.

It will be Rockford hanging itself which causes it to actually build train systems and better centers of education. The people who control Rockford don't want to improve it. They want to be misers until they actually have to hang themselves. The jobs in Rockford suck, and they aren't anything to brag about. Anyone who has some sense will not look in Rockford for a job. I've known even the low-income, ghetto, poor people to look in Loves Park and Cherry Valley for a job. I've seen them get these jobs. Isn't it curious they aren't looking in Rockford for a job?

Even if you're new, the place still sucks. It's not getting any better. It's economics that are making dirty politicians give up their power. Eventually, the trains will come back. When the trains come back, Rockford will be a great place. The Rock River Times often points out the corruption in place. And would it really hurt people to shut up and be nice for once? It's like people lack the ability to be civil these days.

Why? Why about the trains?
Because you can actually commute to Chicago.
The jobs are around Rockford. There aren't many jobs in Rockford.
Sure, you have a bachelor's degree and are willing to be a grunt at Thermo Scientific.
I'm sorry that you have to be a packager instead of a lab technician.
I'm sorry that you can't commute to Chicago with your car because you have a kid.

Wouldn't it be nice for people to go to universities in Chicago?
I mean, people in Rockford always say, "If the educated people stayed, it'd be better."
Well, gee, dude. NIU is a social trap that makes people feel like low-income prisoners.
And people would love to go to universities in Chicago, because the level of education is better.
Come on?!
Do you really think an educated person is going to come back here?

Here's an experience.
I was at cliffbreaker's for an honor's ceremony.
The new school president said outloud that he hoped that the intelligent students there would stay in Rockford.
Guess what happened next?
Everyone laughed at him.
Yeah. Those laughs were to insult him.
The parents didn't want their children to remain in Rockford.
You should have seen him. He looked like a tool.

Look: Rockford sucks.

If you've thinking about moving here, don't.
A good amount of people who have moved here are broke fools from Chicago.
They are creating sprawl and taking up the jobs.

There are better places to be.
If I had $10k saved up, I would leave for good.
I'm not that old, but I've wanted to leave Rockford for over half of my life.
Rockford is not a peaceful place.

And what about the police?
Corrupt as @#$#. No joke.
Why was another jail built?
Answer: There needs to be more space for people commiting crimes.

Lie. They simply want more money. I know people who've been to the jail. Yes, the prisoners say it's overcrowded. But cops in Rockford want to throw away people for one primary reason: Money.

The more people they lock up, the more money they can get. If people post bail, then kaching. If it gives people fines and tickets, kaching.
If you go down e. state, you'll see cops in the same spot. They are only there because they know they can give people tickets there.
The cops in Rockford are arrogant capitalists. They don't really care about supporting the law. They care about their egos and their money.

If you don't mind living in a place where...
1. the government doesn't care about you
2. the school system destroys your child
3. jobs are grunt work with no prospects
4. the transportation system sucks
5. you can't transcend your socioeconomic status

then come to Rockford.

Hey, I'm sorry. I'm not a fool. Maybe others are.

Quote:
YES im not from il nor to i want to be. Alls i said was my freind lives there in downtown. He lives of SUmmit St by a gas station last i remember me and him skated downtown by the Volvo place in under 5 min who cares if its downtown
Downtown starts once you get past Uncle Nick's. It become apparent when you're past the bridge.
You could argue it occurs once you're past the bridge, though.
And it took the longest time for people to actually have a walkway on the bridge.

It's like the politicians in Rockford wanted people to be drones.
1. Wake up
2. go to work
3. sleep
4. shop only when needed
5. do nothing else in Rockford

I went to this Jobapalooza thing this month. Simply said, Rockford will hire people with a degree, but they want to basically steal people. Rockford isn't willing to say, here is a job, gain experience, and work here a long time. No, they have these things because they hope people from other big cities with more education and civility will come back to Rockford. That's silly. Cut the middle-man. Go to a city with more jobs, civil people, and who are not so uppity, ignorant, and greedy.

Last edited by Rockfordsucks; 12-08-2008 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois