Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 21,437 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in the Chicago Loop and we're currently looking at houses online (we're in Colorado now) and it seems like you can get more for your money there. What is the catch? School systems good? How far is the commute? I know it's 30 miles - but roughly what is the drive time? Thanks for anyone that can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 AM

220 posts, read 675,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlesnoopy View Post
My husband got a job in the Chicago Loop and we're currently looking at houses online (we're in Colorado now) and it seems like you can get more for your money there. What is the catch? School systems good? How far is the commute? I know it's 30 miles - but roughly what is the drive time? Thanks for anyone that can help.
If you want to move that far out, I would suggest going a shade farther and looking at Peotone, Beecher or even Manteno, they are nicer towns, more rural with better schools..

Old 03-08-2009, 01:38 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Crete is diverse. Peotone, Beecher, Manteno are not.
The school district is about 5 times the size of the 3 smaller communities since it takes in all of Crete and Monee townships. We have several families of friends who reside in Crete and Monee (I have posted about this in other threads) who absolutely love the community and their children are products of the public schools and are doing extremely well in top tier universities. These are wonderful families who are very involved and civic minded and would make perfect neighbors.
There are with beautiful wooded lots that are comparable with any place in the western suburbs or the north shore. Plum Creek Nature Center is there with great trails and opportunites for winter sledding. The library in Crete is new and beautiful, as is the high school.
Another advantage, as I see it, is that Crete is right near I-394 and we can get from downtown to Crete in 45 minutes.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Crete-Monee is a horrible high school...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons99 View Post
Crete-Monee is a horrible high school...
The people who have kids who go there don't feel that way. Their kids attend or graduated from Princeton, West Point, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and the University of Chicago. All were accepted to every Big 10 to which they applied.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Crete has some $800 to $900 thousand dollar homes sprinkled in with a lot of older ones. You could do worse than Crete. There's some new houses/subdivisions off of Richton Rd.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Crete has some $800 to $900 thousand dollar homes sprinkled in with a lot of older ones. You could do worse than Crete. There's some new houses/subdivisions off of Richton Rd.
I agree.
Off of Klemme and south of Exchange, many valued over a million. Balmoral Woods (a golf course subdivision), Jacob's Woods and others east of I-394 have amazing homes. I love that they all have some land and wooded lots.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
The people who have kids who go there don't feel that way. Their kids attend or graduated from Princeton, West Point, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and the University of Chicago. All were accepted to every Big 10 to which they applied.
Their test scores are amongst the lowest in the suburbs..

Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons99 View Post
Their test scores are amongst the lowest in the suburbs..
It is a diverse population and has a high mobility rate which are directly correlated to the test scores. There are plenty of other districts with scores much worse.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM

At the high school, about 30% of their kids are meeting the state standards, not sure how much worse other schools can be. There are just much better options in that area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois